Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Scientific Conference Falls for Gibberish Prank

Scientific Conference Falls for Gibberish Prank
AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 16, 2005, 12:51 AM

Scientific Conference Falls for Gibberish Prank
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. (Reuters) - A bunch of computer-generated gibberish masquerading as an academic paper has been accepted at a scientific conference in a victory for pranksters at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
The trio submitted two of the randomly assembled papers to the World Multiconference on Systemics, Cybernetics and Informatics (WMSCI), scheduled to be held July 10-13 in Orlando, Florida.

To their surprise, one of the papers -- "Rooter: A Methodology for the Typical Unification of Access Points and Redundancy" -- was accepted for presentation.
"Rooter" features such mind-bending gems as: "the model for our heuristic consists of four independent components: simulated annealing, active networks, flexible modalities, and the study of reinforcement learning" and "We implemented our scatter/gather I/O server in Simula-67, augmented with opportunistically pipelined extensions."
Heh.

Timeline anyone? Not sure I trust the new search yet.

Zimphire
Baninated
Apr 16, 2005, 01:03 AM

For some reason, I am not surprised.

Humans are fallible.

historylme
Mac Elite
Apr 16, 2005, 01:30 AM

That is great!

Forum Links
Forum Rules