Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > yay or nay?

yay or nay?
torifile
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2001, 03:56 PM

During his MWNY keynote, Stevo himself said that the upgrade to 10.1 would be available for free download . It seems that this is not going to happen because of the size of the download. Lately, a lot of people have been talking about downloading internal builds off of carracho. Now, I'm not making a statement about the ethics of this, but I was wondering how people felt about having the 10.1 final update 'mirrored' on carracho sites. I was totally against this for the full version of 10.0 because we needed to buy it, but this update is supposed to be free, so is there harm in mirroring it (for free, not upload to download) on a carracho server? I was just wondering what people thought about this and if we would get in legal trouble for doing it. Thoughts? Would this satisfy the whiners who were complaining about the $20?

JLL
Professional Poster
Aug 22, 2001, 05:08 PM

Originally posted by torifile:
<STRONG>During his MWNY keynote, Stevo himself said that the upgrade to 10.1 would be available for free download .</STRONG>
No he didn't! He said it would be free and behind him was a big screen saying Plus $19.95 for Shipping & Handling.

Nothing about a download was mentioned.
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

torifile  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2001, 05:20 PM

doh!!

[edit: I stand corrected. I just watched the QT movie of the keynote and I was wrong. He didn't say it would be a download but he said it would be free. So, the question remains, should people mirror it and is that piracy?]

[ 08-22-2001: Message edited by: torifile ]

Colonel Panic
Senior User
Aug 22, 2001, 05:32 PM

No, he said "free update" available with $20 shipping fee. Never said "free download". nope.

Plus, the CD that ships, even the one for $20 for current X owners, will most likely be a full install CD, not just an update CD. You can use it to clean install 10.1 directly. Thus, a Carracho mirror would mean even someone who DIDN'T buy 10.0 could get a free 10.1, and that's not cool....

i'll gladly pay $20 to update my MOMA-enshrined Cube equipped with Emmy Award Winning firewire ports to Puma...!
Puma is phenomenal. As soon as they let me preorder the $20 is theirs....

[ 08-22-2001: Message edited by: Colonel Panic ]

NeilCharter
Senior User
Aug 22, 2001, 05:47 PM

I have to agree with the colonel on this one. Apple will apparently ship the CD by personal courier dressed as a butler who will deliver it to you personally on a gold platter. Hence the reason they HAVE to charge $20!

Not a total biggie for me but seems that $10 would be more appropriate.

Neil
If I had a signature, it would look something like this

dogzilla
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 22, 2001, 09:08 PM

Originally posted by NeilCharter:
<STRONG>Not a total biggie for me but seems that $10 would be more appropriate.

Neil</STRONG>
LOL. Hey, I'm about to buy a new car - what do you think is "appropriate" for a Land Rover Discovery?

madra [again!]
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 23, 2001, 05:29 AM

LOL. Hey, I'm about to buy a new car - what do you think is "appropriate" for a Land Rover Discovery?
landrovers are sh*t! i've had 3 or 4 in my time and every one's been a complete money pit.

[BTW early model discos are really prone to cracking pistons. i think it may be something to do with the lack of a solid unix underpinning]
the original madra - airbrushed out of history in a stalinist manner!

madrasite - crap, junk and drivel

Forum Links
Forum Rules