Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 5f24 on an iBook

5f24 on an iBook
torifile
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2001, 02:31 AM

I've seen 5f24 on an ibook 2 and I've got some screenshots. I really don't want to host them for obvious reasons, but if someone is willing to host them for me, lemme know. Anyone have any questions that I could check out for them?

Initial impressions:
WOW!! It's fast. Nice and snappy. Typing is a different experience. I had never noticed how 10.0.4 lags. But I've gotten a spinning cursor a few times for no obvious reasons.

It's just as visually appealing but the pinning option in the dock is not there through the menus. I'll have to see if editing the .plist will work.

The finder looks like the old next browsers that I've seen, with the indented arrows for folders.

Double sided scroll arrows are an option.

Overall, it's really smooth. I'm liking it, despite an ordeal my friend had with 'rm -rf'. It wasn't pretty Questions?

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 25, 2001, 02:42 AM

how much RAM? What kind of mac would you compare its' speed equivalent to umder 10.0.4? Does one even exist? ie, 733 G4, 533DP...
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

torifile  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2001, 03:00 AM

384 megs. I haven't had a chance to use X on anything other than this ibook, a pismo and a cube with 320 megs. It's definitely faster than the cube and as snappy as the 733 I played with at compusa (in limited time with both). I haven't booted classic on it yet, so we'll see about that.

Bad news about dock placement:
I looked at the Dockmenus.plist and there is no setting for pinning. It's all placement and that's ~ orientation in 10.0.x.

Resizing and scrolling are nearly 9.1 speed.

Apache is 1.3.19. Haven't checked to see if php is working yet. That's tomorrow. It's late. 'night all.

<Hornet>
Jul 25, 2001, 03:03 AM

Torifile, as I did with Vader, I'll host the pics you have. Send em thru to [email protected] and i'll setup a page with them.

btw, what is this pinning? I hear it everywhere here!

<Hornet>
Jul 25, 2001, 03:06 AM

Torifile, as I did with Vader, I'll host the pics you have. Send em thru to [email protected] and i'll setup a page with them.

btw, what is this pinning? I hear it everywhere here!

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Jul 25, 2001, 03:21 AM

Pinning is where one edge of the dock sticks to one edge of the screen - in other words it's like left or right justified text in an editor. At the moment, the dock is centre justified.

HoofHearted
Forum Regular
Jul 25, 2001, 05:51 AM

Originally posted by torifile:
<STRONG>I've seen 5f24 on an ibook 2 (snip) WOW!! It's fast</STRONG>
just posting to say thanks, I've got an ibook of the same spec and it puts my mind at rest! can't wait to read any more observations. Is battery drain any different, or is it not really noticable so far?

ta muchly...

JLL
Professional Poster
Jul 25, 2001, 06:11 AM

Originally posted by Gee4orce:
<STRONG>Pinning is where one edge of the dock sticks to one edge of the screen - in other words it's like left or right justified text in an editor. At the moment, the dock is centre justified.</STRONG>
Pinning is in some of the builds. In System Preferences there are two pop up lists next to each other where you choose left, center, right and left, bottom, right.
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

jasong
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2001, 08:28 AM

Energy Saver Control Panel??????

Does it have separate options for Plugged and Plugged?????

Can you check to see if you can put the system to sleep, plug in an external monitor and wake it up (and use the external monitor of course). iBook2 has external video, right? If not, can you try it i on that Pismo?
-- Jason

tsheley
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 25, 2001, 08:46 AM

384 megs. I haven't had a chance to use X on anything other than this ibook, a pismo and a cube with 320 megs. It's definitely faster than the cube and as snappy as the 733 I played with at compusa (in limited time with both). I haven't booted classic on it yet, so we'll see about that.

You mean the the Cube is faster than the iBook right?
1.6ghz G5 Power Mac/1.5GB RAM/Superdrive

JLL
Professional Poster
Jul 25, 2001, 08:56 AM

Originally posted by jasong:
<STRONG>Energy Saver Control Panel??????

Does it have separate options for Plugged and Plugged?????</STRONG>
Yes you can turn it off or off
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

HoofHearted
Forum Regular
Jul 25, 2001, 09:20 AM

Originally posted by tsheley:
<STRONG>posted by Torifile: It's definitely faster than the cube...

You mean the the Cube is faster than the iBook right?</STRONG>
Sorry to pre-empt Torifile, but I think he was answering a question. He (er.. he/she) meant that this build of 10.1 feels faster on his ibook than the current release (10.0.4) does on a cube.

makes a nice change for the reality to be as good as the rumour!!

torifile  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2001, 10:56 AM

Well, I've had some more time with it, and here are some more observations:

It's still a relatively buggy build, rainbow cursors coming up randomly. Speed is wonderful when there's no random spinning cursor. Everything is snappier all around. The volume and brightness controls work without a problem and classic seems fine. The menu bar clock and menu bar 'extras' work well too. There is a battery gauge that tells you precisely how much battery you have left. I can't seem to find a place to make the default icon size on the desktop smaller. App launch time is pretty good, not great, but definitely well within reasonable limits. Mail seems a bit more refined and responsive. I'm really looking forward to this being a final.

That being said, there are some negatives. Sleep does not appear to work. Energy savings don't appear to anymore reworked but I haven't had a chance to check that thoroughly yet. Never mind, sleep does work but not well. You can open energy saver through the battery menu item. The system preferences reorganization is clumsy. I don't like that they are not alphabetical. Now I have to think "What category would it be in?" AND "Where in the alphabet does that word come?" The toolbar for the system prefs has a little widget to allow you to hide it.

Menus are fast and look really good with the fade out that was annoying everyone. I haven't had the chance to test battery life, but I suspect it'll be relatively good considering the poor battery saving options we've got. Network settings are pretty much unchanged. The mouse setting now has an "ignore trackpad while typing option" (a very nice touch). The login window seems the same as 10.0.4. The you can change the default language but the finder doesn't seem to like the kanji very well. I'll get screen shots out once I download graphic converter.

iRebound
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 25, 2001, 11:12 AM

Wow! Great news to see the ignore trackpad while typing as an option. A feature I've requested in X. Sometimes my palm touched the trackpad while I type on my Pismo and it accidentally click somewhere eles.

ARENA
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2001, 11:19 AM

I can't seem to find a place to make the default icon size on the desktop smaller.
You can set the size for the icons in the desktop in the View Optios palette. Just click the desktop, and the command + J.
That is the new way doing it in 10.1

asagoo
Forum Regular
Jul 26, 2001, 05:44 AM

Can you tell us whether your graphics accellerator is supported? Should affect OpenGL, QuickTime and 2D window drawing.
I'm desperate to know this.
Cheers.

Forum Links
Forum Rules