Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Transfer photos from cell phone to computer

Transfer photos from cell phone to computer
jszrules
Senior User
Jan 4, 2007, 09:43 PM

Hi,
I have a Verizon MOTOKRZR K1m and I am trying to find the easiest/cheapest way to transfer pictures from my phone to my computer (Mac or PC, doesn't matter) without using Verizon's PixPlace which charges you for each picture message. I have asked the employees in Verizon Wireless stores but I keep getting different answers, so I am not sure of the best method.

Do I need to buy a memory card with a USB adapter for the card?
Do I need to buy the Office Kit?
Can I download a USB Driver from somewhere? (I believe I already have an appropriate cable)
Any other way I don't know about...?

Thanks for the help.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jan 4, 2007, 10:17 PM

i simply pop out the memory card and plug it in a USB reader.

but if your phone comes with a USB cable to connect to a PC, that is all you need. it will mount the internal memory card as a removable media device. drag/drop your photos from there.

Philip J. Fry
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 5, 2007, 03:07 AM

If it has bluetooth, you can send them that way.

volcano
Senior User
Jan 5, 2007, 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by Philip J. Fry View Post
If it has bluetooth, you can send them that way.
Not with Verizon. They don't allow you to send files over bluetooth, even computer to phone.

willed
Professional Poster
Jan 5, 2007, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by volcano View Post
Not with Verizon. They don't allow you to send files over bluetooth, even computer to phone.
I never have understood the US mobile phone market... why do you guys put up with so much **** from the networks?

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2007, 10:20 AM

That would be a k.o. criterion for me. Such a carrier wouldn't get my money.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 5, 2007, 10:36 AM

Transfer to Cingular.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 5, 2007, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by willed View Post
I never have understood the US mobile phone market... why do you guys put up with so much **** from the networks?
Because you have to pick your poison.

Do you want the network with the most coverage? Verizon. You take their abuse in disabling bluetooth in favor of coverage.

Do you want fewer dropped calls, lesser coverage than Verizon, and occasional billing dept. abuse, but good bluetooth and mostly good equipment? Cingular.

Do you want mostly good free calls to people on your favorites list? Tmobile or alltell.

Do you want a regional carrier with excellent plans? Suncom.

Do you want to be abused every which way possible? Sprint/Embarq.

In nearly every case, the phone will be locked to that provider unless you have a history with that provider and can use that to ask them to unlock it for you. You can buy an unlocked phone from websites that are new in box, at higher prices than the providers will subsidize them. If the carrier offers that same model, they may allow you to associate it with your plan and then insure it. IF not and it breaks, tough. Similarly if you buy a used handset from Craigslist, except there they'll want to run the IMEI and make sure it isn't associated with another subscriber who hasn't paid the bill / isn't stolen.

There is no one clear winner on provider and no one clear good method on buying handsets. Pick your poison.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 5, 2007, 10:51 AM

I never had a problem with Cingular since I switched to them, in either coverage or billing.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 5, 2007, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
I never had a problem with Cingular since I switched to them, in either coverage or billing.
As far as Cingular is concerned, West Virginia does not exist. No coverage, no roaming, no nothing.

Neither does much of Nevada, or the Mountain time zone for that matter.

Cingular Wireless

I've gone a few rounds with the billing department, but mostly been able to resolve things to my satisfaction. Far better than when I was with Sprint, in any event.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jan 5, 2007, 10:57 AM

well, as far as most the country is concerned, West Virginia doesn't exist

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 5, 2007, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by residentEvil View Post
well, as far as most the country is concerned, West Virginia doesn't exist
You try and tell the West Virginia Highway Patrol that when your car breaks down on the side of the road and you're trying to call for assistance.

By the way, W. Va. has a practice where they want any disabled vehicle off the road in 15 minutes of noticing it. They call a tow truck that charges 200 dollars to get you to the next exit.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jan 5, 2007, 11:03 AM

again, see...the problem is you are in the state. since it doesn't exist, why would you be driving thru it?

ha!

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jan 5, 2007, 11:07 AM

Unless you can find a Nokia 6256i, which slipped through the cracks. I can transfer anything I want via bluetooth. I've heard the newer Razers are unlocked too.

volcano
Senior User
Jan 5, 2007, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by vmarks View Post
Because you have to pick your poison.

Do you want the network with the most coverage? Verizon. You take their abuse in disabling bluetooth in favor of coverage.

Do you want fewer dropped calls, lesser coverage than Verizon, and occasional billing dept. abuse, but good bluetooth and mostly good equipment? Cingular.

Do you want mostly good free calls to people on your favorites list? Tmobile or alltell.

Do you want a regional carrier with excellent plans? Suncom.

Do you want to be abused every which way possible? Sprint/Embarq.

In nearly every case, the phone will be locked to that provider unless you have a history with that provider and can use that to ask them to unlock it for you. You can buy an unlocked phone from websites that are new in box, at higher prices than the providers will subsidize them. If the carrier offers that same model, they may allow you to associate it with your plan and then insure it. IF not and it breaks, tough. Similarly if you buy a used handset from Craigslist, except there they'll want to run the IMEI and make sure it isn't associated with another subscriber who hasn't paid the bill / isn't stolen.

There is no one clear winner on provider and no one clear good method on buying handsets. Pick your poison.
Exactly.

But the only reason Cingular "claims" to have the fewest dropped calls is because they're even bigger ever since they merged with ATT wireless. I'm completely happy with Verizon's network... I've been with them for over 2 1/2 years and even when I visit my grandmother in the sandhills of Nebraska (literally in the middle of nowhere), my phone still got a signal. I was ecstatic. As for dropped calls? I've never had one.

I hate Cingular. Have fun with them. I switched to Verizon from them, and I'll never go back.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2007, 05:48 PM

Most provider's disabilitating tricks, gimmicks, and screw-yous can be circumvented.
I use t-mobile with a sammy 810 & t-mobile won't allow my own mp3s as ringtones.

This forum got me around that:

HowardForums: Your Mobile Phone Community & Resource

+there are codes, firmware mods, and all kinds of goodies.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

UNTeMac
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2007, 05:57 PM

On topic: Sprint seems to cripple it too but I'll find out once my usb bluetooth model arrives. So far, it doesn't work to just plug in the phone via usb. There are several driver hacks available on the the intarweb that might work for your phone. Google it.

Off topic: Why does everyone hate sprint? I get 450 anytime that flexes as I increase usage ($5.00 from 451-600), free mobile to mobile and free nights starting at 7 and free weekends. 40 bucks a month. Had them for two years and never had a problem.

Verizon turned me off because of the way they handle every other side of their business (read: DSL). Cingular's not bad but hasn't given me a good reason to switch.
"This show is filmed before a live studio audience as soon as someone removes that dead guy!" - Stephen Colbert

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 5, 2007, 05:59 PM

Transfer to Cingular.
Ha. Those idiots cripple third party JAVA apps so you have to press "Allow Connection" every time that thing tries to send / receive data.

Makes Google maps or other 3rd party apps almost unusable.

^&$&^%&*#

-t

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2007, 06:05 PM

I have a Moto V325 from Verizon, and it's really spankin' cool.

Check out HowardForums: Your Mobile Phone Community & Resource. There is a TON of information on there on how to work with KRZR and RZR phones, along with a ton other models. Most of the software to do it is free. I found it worth it. I wasn't interested in paying 99 cents a ringtone, so I made my own from some MP3s and uploaded them.

I'm not sure if modifying your phone is illegal, as far as whether or not it violates your TOS on your contract with verizon. If it is, the mods will be deleting this. If it isn't, just remember that Verizon won't help you if you have problems if they know you made any changes (called seem edits).
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 5, 2007, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Ha. Those idiots cripple third party JAVA apps so you have to press "Allow Connection" every time that thing tries to send / receive data.

Makes Google maps or other 3rd party apps almost unusable.

^&$&^%&*#

-t
HUH?

jszrules  (op)
Senior User
Jan 6, 2007, 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by residentEvil View Post
i simply pop out the memory card and plug it in a USB reader.

but if your phone comes with a USB cable to connect to a PC, that is all you need. it will mount the internal memory card as a removable media device. drag/drop your photos from there.
Thanks for the response. My phone didn't come with a USB, but I have a cable whose ends fit into the phone and computer. If I buy a memory card, is there any reason why this wouldn't work? Like does the cable have to come from Verizon? Is it possible the phone/card can only be ready by certain OS/software? I just want to make sure it will work before I buy a card. Thanks again.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 6, 2007, 01:23 AM

The exception here is the LG VX9900 (enV), which has all Bluetooth functions enabled.

volcano
Senior User
Jan 6, 2007, 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by The Godfather View Post
The exception here is the LG VX9900 (enV), which has all Bluetooth functions enabled.
Really? Hot damn. Too bad I wouldn't want to carry around that small brick with me... although text messaging would be a hell of a lot easier with it.

jszrules  (op)
Senior User
Jan 12, 2007, 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by jszrules View Post
Thanks for the response. My phone didn't come with a USB, but I have a cable whose ends fit into the phone and computer. If I buy a memory card, is there any reason why this wouldn't work? Like does the cable have to come from Verizon? Is it possible the phone/card can only be ready by certain OS/software? I just want to make sure it will work before I buy a card. Thanks again.
What about Motorola PhoneTools? Would that work? Do I need a memory card for that or would the software be able to read the internal phone memory through the USB?

GFitzy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 12, 2007, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Gossamer View Post
Unless you can find a Nokia 6256i, which slipped through the cracks. I can transfer anything I want via bluetooth. I've heard the newer Razers are unlocked too.
is this true for their other Nokia's like the 6315i? I can see my Mac via Bluetooth but it won't pair . . .

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 12, 2007, 03:29 PM

HUH?
Huh what ?

Can you use Google Maps on Cingular w/o having to "allow connection" all the time ?

Doesn't work for me. AFAIK, you need to hack the app to get rid of this. It's a Cingular securoty feature to net let 3rd party JAVA apps run outside a sandbox.

Idiots.

-t

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jan 12, 2007, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by GFitzy View Post
is this true for their other Nokia's like the 6315i? I can see my Mac via Bluetooth but it won't pair . . .

I'm not really familiar with many cell phones, but from what I heard from the guy at the verizon-authorized dealer, the 6256i is one of the only, if not the only, phone that can do this.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 12, 2007, 05:53 PM

At the heart of owning a Motorola phone is the ability to edit everything thru SEEM edits or MPT or quite a few other programs. I believe the KRZR allows this too. It won't help your bluetooth issue, but it's quite handy for lots of other things.

Bluetooth unable to send to computer from the phone and vice versa? ARE YOU KIDDING ME? (rhetorical, I know all about verizon's crap). Bluetooth should work as bluetooth works. No less.
ice

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2007, 06:36 PM

bitpim if you're down with bluetooth and your phone will play along (mine won't).

or www.vzwpix.com (at least i THINK it's a free service, also a great way to get homemade ringtones (think audiohijack files edited by audacity exported to .wav) on your phone.) this site is the PIX PLACE that you can send your photos to.

either one will work.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 12, 2007, 07:48 PM

You need a floppy disk to do this.

Railroader
Banned
Jan 12, 2007, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Please stop derailing threads with your bad humor.

It's not the derailing that bothers me so much as the bad humor.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 12, 2007, 08:08 PM

Had he said anything else in addition to "You need a floppy disk to do this." it might not have been funny, but I liked it.

Although, had he replaced "floppy disk" with "Imation Superdisk" it might have been funnier still.
ice

Railroader
Banned
Jan 12, 2007, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by IceEnclosure View Post
Had he said anything else in addition to "You need a floppy disk to do this." it might not have been funny, but I liked it.

Although, had he replaced "floppy disk" with "Imation Superdisk" it might have been funnier still.
Bernoulli drive?

http://computing-dictionary.thefreed...ernoulli+drive

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2007, 11:18 PM

Really? Hot damn. Too bad I wouldn't want to carry around that small brick with me... although text messaging would be a hell of a lot easier with it.
The fact that I am carrying 25 TV episodes, 105 MP3s, 23 pictures and 1 MWSF 2007 Keynote video (really compressed) in my pocket makes me appreciate this little $50 brick (with VZ rebates).

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2007, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
I imagine most people here are too young to remember how cool it was when the Bernoulli hit the market.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my band • my web site • my guitar effects • my photos • facebook • brightpoint

Kevin
Baninated
Jan 13, 2007, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by vmarks View Post
As far as Cingular is concerned, West Virginia does not exist. No coverage, no roaming, no nothing.
Really? I have a Cingular phone and service.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jan 13, 2007, 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Doesn't work for me. AFAIK, you need to hack the app to get rid of this. It's a Cingular securoty feature to net let 3rd party JAVA apps run outside a sandbox.
Considering how expensive data usage is on cell networks, I'd be pretty pissed off if a random Java app was accessing the Internet without my permission.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Railroader
Banned
Jan 13, 2007, 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by RAILhead View Post
I imagine most people here are too young to remember how cool it was when the Bernoulli hit the market.
CRAP! Did I just date myself again?

Railroader
Banned
Jan 13, 2007, 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Really? I have a Cingular phone and service.
Try making a call. I dare ya.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 13, 2007, 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Haha

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
Please stop derailing threads with your bad humor.

It's not the derailing that bothers me so much as the bad humor.
Oh come on, what happened to your humor ? It wasn't THAT bad.

-t

jszrules  (op)
Senior User
Jan 17, 2007, 02:47 PM

So back to this thread's topic... Transferring Photos from Phone to PC...

I learned that Verizon disables the multi-media feature on Motorola's Phone Tools (what a surprise). So that option is out. I also don't want to pay for Pix Place. So there are two options left:

1) Memory/SIM card with USB cable. My phone didn't come with a USB, but I have a cable that fits into the phone and computer. If I buy a memory card, is there any reason why this wouldn't work? Does the cable have to come from Verizon? Is it possible the phone/card can only be read by certain OS/software? I just want to make sure it will work before I buy a card.

2) Buy some Verizon software like the Office Kit or the Music Essentials Kit. I don't even know if these software packages will do what I want. The people in the Verizon stores have given me mixed answers. Does anyone know if either of these packages will transfer photos from my phone to PC?

Any other options I am missing? Thanks again for the help.

andi*pandi
Jan 17, 2007, 03:08 PM

We have Verizon, my husband bought the cable/kit for our kyocera so he can connect to his PC with the phone. No luck with me and my mac however. Verizon's "pay .25 to email the pic to yourself" photo plan has hindered how much I use my camera phone, even if I get him to connect my camera to the PC and then transfer to the mac, it's a PITA.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 18, 2007, 02:03 AM

VERIZON IS A JOKE!

sorry : \
ice

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 18, 2007, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
We have Verizon, my husband bought the cable/kit for our kyocera so he can connect to his PC with the phone. No luck with me and my mac however. Verizon's "pay .25 to email the pic to yourself" photo plan has hindered how much I use my camera phone, even if I get him to connect my camera to the PC and then transfer to the mac, it's a PITA.
Which is why I paid the $125 to get out of my contract and switch to Cingular.

Forum Links
Forum Rules