Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Isolating unplayed song files

Isolating unplayed song files
jszrules
Senior User
Apr 8, 2007, 11:26 PM

Can anyone think of a creative way to somehow select all of the song files in my Music folder that I have not yet opened in iTunes? My goal is to burn off all the songs I don't really want without going through them one by one. Thanks.

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2007, 12:05 AM

Do you mean ones you have not yet played in iTunes? Presumably they are all part of the iTunes library, so just create a Smart Playlist with songs that you haven't played yet. Alternatively you could do it in the Finder using s Smart Folder and the date opened attribute.

jszrules  (op)
Senior User
Apr 9, 2007, 12:47 AM

Thank you for the response. I am NOT looking for songs that I simply have not played in iTunes. I AM looking for music files that are not even in the iTunes Library (aka: that I have never opened with iTunes).

I agree the best way to do this is with a Smart Folder by using the "Last Opened" criteria, but what do I put after that? There is no option called "Last Opened: NEVER". Would setting the criteria to "BEFORE [some early date]" include song files that have never been opened with any application? Thanks again for the help.

jszrules  (op)
Senior User
Apr 9, 2007, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by jszrules View Post
Thank you for the response. I am NOT looking for songs that I simply have not played in iTunes. I AM looking for music files that are not even in the iTunes Library (aka: that I have never opened with iTunes).

I agree the best way to do this is with a Smart Folder by using the "Last Opened" criteria, but what do I put after that? There is no option called "Last Opened: NEVER". Would setting the criteria to "BEFORE [some early date]" include song files that have never been opened with any application? Thanks again for the help.
Dunno why this thread was moved to this Forum because it is about options in the OS, but whatever... Does anyone here know what the best approach is for what I am trying to do? Thanks.

Forum Links
Forum Rules