Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Intel schedule for future iMacs?

Intel schedule for future iMacs?
jszrules
Senior User
Nov 16, 2007, 12:25 PM

I realize the answer to this question is probably up in the air, but I'm curious if anyone has an idea of what the expected Intel chip schedule is for future iMacs? Thanks.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 16, 2007, 10:44 PM

Actually it's pretty well defined in the near term...

CPU: Penryn (45nm shrink of Merom) in 1Q08; 2.5-2.6Ghz (3Ghz Extreme), 6MB cache, and a few new instructions (SSE4).
Chipset: Cantiga in 3Q08; DDR3 support.
CPU: Nehalem (new microarchitecture on 45nm process) in 4Q08 or 1Q09; mobile quads, return of hyperthreading (multiple threads per core), DDR3 memory controller on CPU, integrated graphics on package but off die, QuickPath Interconnect replacing the FSB, 8MB cache.
CPU: Westmere (32nm shrink of Nehalem) in 2009.
CPU: Sandy Bridge (new microarchitecture on 32nm process) in 2010.
CPU: Unnamed 22nm shrink of Sandy Bridge in 2011.

Applies to iMac/MacBook Pro/MacBook/Mac mini since they all use the Intel mobile platform.

jszrules  (op)
Senior User
Nov 16, 2007, 11:55 PM

Cool, thanks. For Penryn 1Q08, is that when iMacs are expected to receive them or is that just an earliest possible date for inclusion in any Mac?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 17, 2007, 12:37 AM

Those are all Intel's release dates; Apple's updates usually lag by 5 to 90 days. If I had to guess, I'd say late February for the next iMac update.

Forum Links
Forum Rules