Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > External Monitor: Only 75 Hz?

External Monitor: Only 75 Hz?
kybernaut
Sep 20, 2002, 12:17 PM

Sorry, if this has been posted earlier, but search doesn't work right now...

My iBook 600 only let me choose 75 Hz as monitor refresh rate when my 17" CRT is attached. is there a workaround for this?

Thanx

kybernaut

pat++
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2002, 05:52 PM

Unfortunatelly I don't think there is a workaround for this...
Apple really sucks. OK if it only does mirroring, but why hell limit
the refresh rate ??? it's really bad on the eyes

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2002, 06:30 PM

Calm down, Pat. Apple doesn't suck, and you're wrong about the refresh rate issue.

It's very possible to use higher refresh rates on monitors at lower resolutions. Some CRT's don't have the bandwidth to run 100 hertz at 1,024 by 768. Try lowering your resolution. You should then be able to bump up the refresh rate.

kybernaut  (op)
Sep 20, 2002, 07:31 PM

Only 75 Hz here... At 640, 800 and 1024. And my monitor does actually support 100Hz @1024x768.

I just downloaded SwitchRes for OS 9 and OS X... No way

pat++
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2002, 11:59 AM

Originally posted by seanyepez:
Calm down, Pat. Apple doesn't suck, and you're wrong about the refresh rate issue.

It's very possible to use higher refresh rates on monitors at lower resolutions. Some CRT's don't have the bandwidth to run 100 hertz at 1,024 by 768. Try lowering your resolution. You should then be able to bump up the refresh rate.
No it's not possible. Apple limits the external resolution AND the refresh
rate.
( Last edited by pat++; Sep 21, 2002 at 01:11 PM. )

fredi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 21, 2002, 01:26 PM

You will only get 75 Hz Max on OS 9
You will get 85 Hz on OSX (if your monitor supports it)

kybernaut  (op)
Sep 21, 2002, 03:25 PM

You will only get 75 Hz Max on OS 9
You will get 85 Hz on OSX (if your monitor supports it)
I've got the late 2001 model with 8 MB ATI graphics. Do you have the new 512 kB cache model?
No it's not possible. Apple limits the external resolution AND the refresh
rate.
It's quite poor what Apple does here. It seems they got a hard job to separate the iBook line from the PowerBooks

greetz,

synthhunter

fredi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 21, 2002, 10:21 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by kybernaut:
[B]
I've got the late 2001 model with 8 MB ATI graphics. Do you have the new 512 kB cache model?

It's quite poor what Apple does here. It seems they got a hard job to separate the iBook line from the PowerBooks

The 85 hz on OSX and 75 on OS9 holds true for the ibook(16mb vram)(newest model) I am not sure about the older ones.

bartman00
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 24, 2002, 08:15 AM

My overclocked 500mhz ibook will only do 75hz at 1024x768.. what a crap job.. it's not like they diden't limit the ext monitor enough! The LEAST they could do is make the fing image viewable.. I can't look at 1024@75hz it melts my eyes! yes.. my Samsung Syncmaster 950p can support much higher!

Bart
Powermac Sawtooth w/ 1.3ghz overclocked GigaDesigns 1ghz cpu
iBook G3-900

sniffer
Professional Poster
Sep 26, 2002, 05:45 AM

Before ranting, I suggest to try to search for one of those screen settings overrun apps that excists for OS 9. I don't have an external monitor to check those apps on my iBook, but they worked as a charm on an older iMac of mine. The limitation in refresh rate and screen res is a software limitation in the OS, and less in the hardware, and thereby can be overrunned. Seen it my self in linux on my late 2001 iBook. I would think that it should be possible to overcome the problem in X some how. But I don't know the refreshrate limitation of our iBook screen. Hopefully higher than 85Hz..

Sniffer gone old-school sig

kybernaut  (op)
Sep 26, 2002, 06:34 AM

The limitation in refresh rate and screen res is a software limitation in the OS, and less in the hardware, and thereby can be overrunned.
Yeah, this is how it normally works... As I said, I tried SwitchRes in both OS X and OS 9. And I would say this is *the* tool for such tasks.

I also believe that it is a software problem. Probably it has to do with the drivers supplied by Apple...

kybernaut

sniffer
Professional Poster
Sep 26, 2002, 08:31 AM

Originally posted by kybernaut:

Yeah, this is how it normally works... As I said, I tried SwitchRes in both OS X and OS 9. And I would say this is *the* tool for such tasks.

I also believe that it is a software problem. Probably it has to do with the drivers supplied by Apple...

kybernaut
Or perhaps we should call it "software restrictions" from Apple..

Sniffer gone old-school sig

Forum Links
Forum Rules