Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Star Wars Killing the iMac?

Star Wars Killing the iMac?
Lyra
Forum Regular
Apr 30, 2002, 06:58 PM

Well...

Where to start... Ok, so I bought the new Star Wars Episode II soundtrack when I noticed that it says on the over and the back that it does not play on a PC/MAC.

Now I was thinking about this for a moment, then I decided to put the CD into my superdrive iMac 800. only to find my self in a whole lot of trouble.

I didn't expect much, I mean what could have happened? I was expecting something like; " this CD is not compatible" or something like that... To my surprise, it simply couldn't find the disc, it loaded and loaded till it froze. Yes the amazing MacOS X, froze... So I needed to restart the iMac. But then I couldn't get the damn Disc out. I tried everything, from Zapping the P-RAM to holding the mouse button down while starting up... Nothing worked... But the worst thing of all, was the fact that it just didn't start up at all... It didn't load any system software...

So why the heck Apple didn't include a small hole where I could force my CD out is beyond me... I had to manually press every inch of that tray to open. This was while it was shut off...

My question is this: Has any one else tried this New Star Wars soundtrack? And who came up with this insane idea?

I would take it so hard if it just said bad disc and ejected it like a normal CD. But no I had to use nearly 2 hours on figuring out how to get the disc out...

Odd things happen sometimes...
�For I gazed into the future, far as human eyes could see,
saw the vision of the
world , and all the wonders that would be.�

Graymalkin
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2002, 07:35 PM

That sounds a whole lot like the non-redbook compliant copy protection crap that some companies are sticking on CDs these days. I find it pretty distrubing such a popular CD has such crappy copy protection measures on it. There's a couple methods of audio CD copy protection available. One method introduces intentional errors on the CD which decoding hardware on 99% of CD players will correct for (as audio CDs have error correction values for each data frame) but audio recording software typically does not correct for. I don't imagine this is what caused your Mac to die.

The second form of copy protection I believe is the culprit (unless the CD was corrupt in some other fashion). The second copy protection method involves burning the CD in such a way that it appears to be a hybrid CD. When stuck in most computers the aduio tracks are inaccessible to software resulting in them not being playable from anything but a hardware CD player. The problem is this breaks compliance with the redbook standard for audio CDs and can as in your case cause the computer to go completely sideways. The zero length data track is going to be handled by the CD mounting software and depending on how it handles the track is either going to recover gracefully from failing to mount the CD or HCF. It appears that OSX goes down the path of HCF. The lack of a mechanism to remove the CD from the drive on the iMac keeps the system continuously looping to try to mount this CD-ROM that it can't possibly mount. You need to e-mail Apple with the problem and let them know that 1) it is likely a copy protection mechanism on the CD caused the computer to go batshit, and 2) you think there needs to be a manual ejection mechanism on the iMac. With problem 1 you might actually see a response.

Come to think of it, if anyone else reading this is running OSX and has the Episode 2 CD try to play it in your system. This risks making your system go batshit but multiple and demonstratable cases of a CD with copy protection screwing up a computer is a compelling argument against such a stupid method of copy protection. Wanting to protect your copyright is one thing, breaking peoples computers who paid you money is just wrong.
2GHz 15" MacBook Pro, 120GB 5400rpm HD, 2GB RAM

pumpkinapo
Apr 30, 2002, 07:44 PM

I'm sorry to hear about your situation Lyra. But just so you know I didn't have a problem with the Episode 2 Soundtrack in my Mac. I ripped it through iTunes and all. If there's anything else I can help you with let me know.
Peter Leing
17" 1.67GHz PowerBook
450MHz G4 Cube

cube-dude
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 30, 2002, 07:57 PM

Using the Force, cube-dude moves thread into the iMac forum . . .

MP 2 x 2.8 and etc.

Carl Norum
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 30, 2002, 08:41 PM

Originally posted by Graymalkin:
<STRONG>(as audio CDs have error correction values for each data frame)</STRONG>
Actually, I'm pretty sure that they don't... there's not really any room on there for that kind of information. I could be wrong, but something tells me we went over this in E E 325 last year.

scottiB
Professional Poster
Apr 30, 2002, 09:05 PM

Pardon me if this is a stupid comment, but aren't copy-protected CDs more prevalent in Europe? Perhaps Lyra's CD has this bullsh!+ copy-protection where we North Americans don't?

This doesn't solve Lyra's problem (with which I truly empathize), however. Does anyone's CD in N.A. have the "will not play on a PC/Mac?"
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Apr 30, 2002, 09:37 PM

Ugh, I can't believe that they are doing that to the Star Wars CD. I'm almost half tempted to buy a copy, fire up my old 6400, record from CD player to the audio in, covert to MP3 and post it to my iTools account for everyone to download!!! That or download it from the net :-P

DaedalusDX
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 30, 2002, 11:08 PM

i got the american version. it works fine in my machine.

incidentally, i only ripped one track so far.... Across the Stars... i had my roommate hide the cd from me until the movie comes out so i don't get tempted to peek at the track titles.

bfyost
May 1, 2002, 12:37 AM

there is a manual eject for the superdrive on the new flat panel imac. I used it to get my cd out when my first machine died. under the tray there is a gap and then a thin strip of black plastic. just a bit to the right of center is a little square hole with the edges rounded off. behind the hole there is a hinged piece of plastic like the door on a house, the hinge is on the left so pushing through the hole with something small(i used a jewelers screwdriver) it goes back and to the left like a door. if you push it far enough it will unlock the tray.
17" iMac 800Mhz G4
12" iBook 600Mhz G3
10GB iPod 2nd Generation
15GB iPod 3rd Generation

Dan Szwarc
Senior User
May 1, 2002, 07:25 AM

A CD that doesn't play in your PC/Mac is not a CD. It is not red-book compliant and therefore defective. You can return it.

I think it is a coincidence that your machine died when you put in the disk. I hope you are successful in getting the machine running again.

FYI, the Episode II soundtrack has been available on Limewire for about 2 or more weeks now. I have almost every track and I STILL plan on buying the CD AFTER I see the movie! Nothing will stop me from owning it (unless there proves to be a HERD of Macs KILLED by this disc, but then I will probably just play it in my 1993 Audio CD player or my 1990 Boombox with CD!).
Dan
"I guarantee that I am correct."
(not a guarantee)

Graymalkin
Mac Elite
May 3, 2002, 12:12 AM

According to Redbook specifications CDs DO have error correction data stored on frames. This is basically just data the decoder can use to cover up for scratches and whatnot on the disk. The one CD copy protection scheme introduces intentional errors which the error checking in hardware decoders corrects for using this correction data. The reason you can still read a CD that has taken a bit of a beating is due to these correction codes.
2GHz 15" MacBook Pro, 120GB 5400rpm HD, 2GB RAM

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2002, 02:10 AM

this whole thing is bunk.
Personally I don't pirate music. And I think it's tottaly stupid that if I wanted to encode my CDs as MP3s someone could stick a copy protection thing on a CD I paid for.
Then again... I'd just plug the head phone jack into my mic in and make my own MP3s.. but that's a huge pain!

zazou
Mac Enthusiast
May 3, 2002, 12:57 PM

Originally posted by scottiB:
<STRONG>Pardon me if this is a stupid comment, but aren't copy-protected CDs more prevalent in Europe? Perhaps Lyra's CD has this bullsh!+ copy-protection where we North Americans don't?

This doesn't solve Lyra's problem (with which I truly empathize), however. Does anyone's CD in N.A. have the "will not play on a PC/Mac?"</STRONG>
This is exactly the case. They are more prevalent in Europe and I have read some nasty stories about these thing. Seems to me the latest Celine Deon (not that anyone should actually buy that one) CD did it as well and there were a lot of stories.

&lt;hypothesis&gt;
My *guess* would be this is in practice in Europe as there (may be) less consumer protection or that more laws are blindly accepted considering governmental reach. I think the US backlash would be more sever and it is the larger market and the companies don't want to risk that just yet.
&lt;/hypothesis&gt;

Anyhow, this is only a guess.

Haven't you noticed? Chronic cynicism takes no skills, little energy, no education, and if you do it really well in poorly-lit coffee-houses, it gets you laid.

mefogus
Forum Regular
May 3, 2002, 04:33 PM

Originally posted by Superchic[k]en:
<STRONG>this whole thing is bunk.
Personally I don't pirate music. And I think it's tottaly stupid that if I wanted to encode my CDs as MP3s someone could stick a copy protection thing on a CD I paid for.
Then again... I'd just plug the head phone jack into my mic in and make my own MP3s.. but that's a huge pain!</STRONG>
I don't pirate music either, but it would be nice to rip a CD that I OWN and put it onto my iPod.

-m

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 6, 2002, 08:59 AM

Originally posted by zazou:
<STRONG>&lt;hypothesis&gt;
My *guess* would be this is in practice in Europe as there (may be) less consumer protection or that more laws are blindly accepted considering governmental reach. I think the US backlash would be more sever and it is the larger market and the companies don't want to risk that just yet.
&lt;/hypothesis&gt;</STRONG>
Woah. Which Europe would you be talking about? Certainly not the one I live in, where, if anything, it's the opposite wrt consumer protection.

Example: Germany is the *only* place where it's allowed to re-sell OEM copies of Microsoft OS's.

-s*

Speckledstone
Dedicated MacNNer
May 11, 2002, 07:06 AM

I found a link to this article on MacAddict's website, <A HREF="http://www.macuser.co.uk/macsurfer/php3/openframe.php3?page=/newnews/newsarticle.php3?id=1990" TARGET=_blank>
"Celine Dion Kills iMacs!" </A>.

If simply playing a CD on your computer causes reduced sound quality (or even worse - firmware problems) then the record companies have gone way to far!!! I checked out some of the links and it appears that these are not just computer issues, some CD players experience difficulties with this new copy protection.

Maybe it's time for a mass e-mail/letter campaign to record companies and our congressmen.

[ 05-11-2002: Message edited by: speckledstone ]

Speckledstone
Dedicated MacNNer
May 11, 2002, 07:24 AM

Lyra,

Have you experienced any other problems since trying to play the Star Wars Episode II soundtrack ?

willed
Professional Poster
May 11, 2002, 07:36 AM

In the UK there was a whole big deal earlier in the year when this Australian artist, 'Natalie Imbruglia' (or something) tried to release a copy protected CD. Everyone took it back to the shop and the record company had to back down. That's one of the few attempts at copy protection I've heard of here.

Forum Links
Forum Rules