Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > putting mbp to sleep

putting mbp to sleep
HazelGirl
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 4, 2006, 06:49 AM

I am completely new to apple laptops. I have a mbp....fresh off the boat. I love it a lot.

Anyway, does closing it while it is still on put it to sleep or turn it off completely?

Is it better to keep it asleep or to go through the motions of turning it off when it is not in use?

Lastly, is it better to let the battery die first before plugging it into the power supply?
Mac Mini G4 1.33 Ghz:40GBhf, 512MBRAM, 32MBVRAM
MBP 15.4' 2.33Ghz:160GBhd, 2GBRAM, 256MBVRAM
iMac 24' 2.4 Ghz, 300GBhd, 2GBRAM, 256MBVRAM
80GB iPod Classic (black)

gsxrboy
Forum Regular
Nov 4, 2006, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by HazelGirl View Post
I am completely new to apple laptops. I have a mbp....fresh off the boat. I love it a lot.

Anyway, does closing it while it is still on put it to sleep or turn it off completely?

Is it better to keep it asleep or to go through the motions of turning it off when it is not in use?

Lastly, is it better to let the battery die first before plugging it into the power supply?

A) Closing the lid will put it to sleep, watch for the breathing light before moving/packing away
B) Sleep is better, easier to wake and go
C) NO ! don't continuously run the battery down, it will shorten its life, do it once ever month or so for calibration, but otherwise run on power where possible.

HazelGirl  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 4, 2006, 07:44 AM

aaah ok. thanks! Whats the breathing light and why should I watch for it before packing it away? thanks.

btw, the boot time on this bad boy is incredibly fast....its like....bing bang boom and its up and running. much faster than my G4 and a million times faster than my XP
Mac Mini G4 1.33 Ghz:40GBhf, 512MBRAM, 32MBVRAM
MBP 15.4' 2.33Ghz:160GBhd, 2GBRAM, 256MBVRAM
iMac 24' 2.4 Ghz, 300GBhd, 2GBRAM, 256MBVRAM
80GB iPod Classic (black)

chrismear
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 4, 2006, 07:52 AM

When you close the lid, the light on the latch release button comes on at full brightness, and stays steady for a short while. Your MBP is saying "I am still switched on, and I am writing the contents of memory to hard disk. Please don't shake me around!".

After that's finished, the light will start pulsing from bright to dim (like on your G4). Now he is saying "*snore* I am properly asleep now. Pick me up and take me to exciting places!"

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 4, 2006, 12:26 PM

Something I've learned the hard way is that you must wait for the MBP to SHUT DOWN completely before you close the lid, or it will try to sleep while half shut down. Badness here! You get a "OS X shut down unexpectedly" message and have to reboot when this happens.

I shut down because my MPB sits in my backpack for long periods of time and I don't want it to get at all warm in the process, so this is an IMPORTANT ISSUE to me.

And the MBP is GREAT!!!!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules