Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > WHY won't Apple let me have an iBook with a Superdrive!?!

WHY won't Apple let me have an iBook with a Superdrive!?!
jet3004
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 10, 2003, 01:07 PM

Apple not selling iBook's with a superdrive is the only thing holding me back from getting an iBook instead of a 12inch Powerbook with a Superdrive. I mean, If I am willing to pay the extra, why can't it be done?

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 10, 2003, 01:17 PM

Originally posted by jet3004:
Apple not selling iBook's with a superdrive is the only thing holding me back from getting an iBook instead of a 12inch Powerbook with a Superdrive. I mean, If I am willing to pay the extra, why can't it be done?
you layed it out right there. it the ibook had a superdrive there would bo no market for a 12" powerbook anymore. apple is a business, trying to make money just like anyone else.

i dun think there is gonna be a superdrive in an ibook anytime soon.

mrgaskell
Senior User
Nov 10, 2003, 11:07 PM

You can! It's called the 12" powerbook. What's the problem with it?
BlackBook 2Ghz C2D, 2GB, 120GB HD | Black 80GB iPod 5.5 | 8GB Red iPod Nano |
Check out my personal and classroom sites!

jet3004  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 11, 2003, 08:44 AM

Hmm...Perhaps hundreds of dollars?

joltguy
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 11, 2003, 08:49 AM

Hmm...Perhaps hundreds of dollars?
Well, you did say you were willing to pay extra.

willed
Professional Poster
Nov 11, 2003, 08:56 AM

An iBook plus superdrive practically _is_ a PB G4 12" [yeah I know there are differences, don't bother posting them]. You said you would be willing to pay the difference so, uh, go on then. Plus you get faster bus, HD, graphics and BlueTooth built in (I think). So quit whining.

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Nov 11, 2003, 05:03 PM

dork

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2003, 09:34 PM

Why won't Chevy let me have a Corvette engine in a Cavalier?

I guess you could get a new iBook and get one of those slick Formac external DVD writers.

Really, how much more is a 12" Powerbook than a 12" iBook? Not much if you are going to keep you Mac for a few years.

Just get the Powerbook. You will have digital output, a PCI slot, and faster bus. I think that is worth the money, IF you have it.

Otherwise, the iBooks are damn nice computers for the money.
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

ccsccs7
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 11, 2003, 10:35 PM

Or, you could buy both an iBook and a 12" Powerbook and experiment with transplants...
12" Powerbook 1.5GHz/SuperDrive, 1.25GB Ram, 80GB HD, Airport Extreme, Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger
iBook (Late 2001)600MHz/Combo, 640MB RAM, 20GB HD, Airport, Mac OS X 10.3.9 Panther — web server

mrgaskell
Senior User
Nov 12, 2003, 01:09 AM

What PCI slot in the 12" PB? The one for Airport Extreme?
BlackBook 2Ghz C2D, 2GB, 120GB HD | Black 80GB iPod 5.5 | 8GB Red iPod Nano |
Check out my personal and classroom sites!

ccsccs7
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 12, 2003, 01:18 AM

Originally posted by mrgaskell:
What PCI slot in the 12" PB? The one for Airport Extreme?
Maybe the PC slot was meant, but the 12" Powerbook doesn't have one of those either.
12" Powerbook 1.5GHz/SuperDrive, 1.25GB Ram, 80GB HD, Airport Extreme, Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger
iBook (Late 2001)600MHz/Combo, 640MB RAM, 20GB HD, Airport, Mac OS X 10.3.9 Panther — web server

jet3004  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 12, 2003, 08:40 AM

12" Powerbook :

$1,799.00

12.1-inch TFT Display
1024x768 resolution
1GHz PowerPC G4
512K L2 cache
256MB DDR266 SDRAM
40GB Ultra ATA/100
NVIDIA GeForce FX
Go 5200 (32MB DDR)
Full size keyboard
10/100BASE-T Ethernet
FireWire 400
AirPort Extreme Ready
Mini-DVI out
----------------------------------------------------
14" iBook :

$1,499.00

1GHz PowerPC G4
256K L2 cache @ 1GHz
14-inch TFT Display
1024x768 resolution
256MB DDR266 SDRAM
60GB Ultra ATA drive
Combo Drive
ATI Mobility Radeon 9200
32MB DDR video memory

Hmmm......I don't know...Powerbook, probably...No...Definetly...

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2003, 10:31 PM

I think the PowerBook 12"/1GHz sport a 133MHz system bus as per tech specs of the PowerBooks. It's the 15"/17" models that have the faster 167MHz bus.

vvedge
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 13, 2003, 02:38 AM

Here you go.... happy?

http://store.mcetech.com/Merchant2/m...roduct_Count=0

Well, not for the G4 ibooks yet, but wont be long.
--whats this button do?

Goodbye koobi
... we had fun, but Apple Repair and the years have not been kind to you... godspeed...

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Nov 13, 2003, 11:50 AM

Get the 12" powerbook and dont' look back.

the ibooks have really cheap plastic now and look tacky in my humble opinion.

The 12" powerbooks are B E A U T I F U L works of art.

I have a old 500 mhz white ibook.... I'm going to replace it with a 12" powerbook with a Superdrive...I'm keeping my old 500 though..keeping it as a extra/backup.

My brother, and two sisters all have 12" powerbooks and love them. You will too I'm sure!

The ibooks are a more limited machine really meant for no-pro users...thus the lack of Superdrive. If you do things that require a superdrive/dvd burning you will undoubtedly need the extra processor speed/system features the 12" powerbook offers.
( Last edited by NYCFarmboy; Nov 13, 2003 at 07:29 PM. )

Ohenri
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 14, 2003, 12:15 AM

dude, why don't you just install the new optical drive yourself?? I was looking to maybe mess around and install a DVD-R in the Pismo. Can be done in theory and there should be no real issues with doing so... I know that Toshiba has a unit that should drop in. Look into it. This should work. The only challenge might be the fitting of the front plate/cover. The install will be half the fun.

h!
--
En Guarde!

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2003, 01:01 AM

Originally posted by Ohenri:
dude, why don't you just install the new optical drive yourself?? I was looking to maybe mess around and install a DVD-R in the Pismo. Can be done in theory and there should be no real issues with doing so... I know that Toshiba has a unit that should drop in. Look into it. This should work. The only challenge might be the fitting of the front plate/cover. The install will be half the fun.

h!
Ummm, the iBook and the Powerbook use slot-loading drives. If you really believe that can be installed in an iBook, I wish you all the luck in the world.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Nov 14, 2003, 01:07 AM

I think you answered your own question

yg17
Nov 14, 2003, 01:43 PM

...and void the warranty on a brand new laptop. Real smart

Originally posted by Ohenri:

h!

ccsccs7
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 14, 2003, 03:26 PM

The folks at MCE have an iDVD compatible drive (per their claims) for the Powerbook. Perhaps they will offer the same service for the G4 iBooks.

Ohenri
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 15, 2003, 12:53 AM

Originally posted by KarlG:
Ummm, the iBook and the Powerbook use slot-loading drives. If you really believe that can be installed in an iBook, I wish you all the luck in the world.
I was talking about the G3 iBook (tray load). Should be possible in theory. Should have been more specific. My only Q? might be whether or not the G3 iBook could handle the demands of a superdrive...

H!
--
En Guarde!

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 15, 2003, 09:14 AM

While not 100% on-topic, I just received my G3 iBook back from MCE Technologies. I had them replace the DVD-ROM with a DVD/CDRW combo drive. They did a nice job. Works great & is supported by Finder burning and iTunes (w/out a frameworks modification).

They do have a DVD-RW drive also available for the iBooks, though I don't know if they can install it in a slot-load iBook yet. Give it time.

vvedge
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 17, 2003, 04:38 PM

From MacNN front page:

MCE Technologies today began offering Apple's new 12" and 14" iBook G4 notebook computers with a 2X DVD-R/RW + DVD-RAM drive option. Each Apple iBook with the internal MCE DVD-R/RW + DVD-RAM drive includes DVD Authoring Software for Mac OS X for the creation of video DVDs, and Toast Lite software for burning audio and data CDs. The drive is compatible with iTunes, iDVD, iPhoto and other applications capable of burning CDs and DVDs. The 12" 800MHz Apple iBook G4 with internal 2X DVD-R/RW + DVD-RAM drive is $1,300, while the 14" iBook G4 933MHz and 1GHz, similarly equipped, are $1,500 and $1,700, respective
$200 bucks more for a superdrive.... have fun.
--whats this button do?

Goodbye koobi
... we had fun, but Apple Repair and the years have not been kind to you... godspeed...

galarneau
Senior User
Nov 17, 2003, 04:40 PM

Well, looks like MCE is now offering G4 iBooks for sale with a SuperDrive for $200 more than the stock model. Nice...

No word yet on if they come with a warranty or if it is void by their monkey fuddling

I'm thinking of getting one. I just wonder if I can recoup the cost when I sell, or will nobody want to spend the extra cash when the time comes.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Nov 17, 2003, 06:01 PM

the mce deal is sweet...
better price on ram upgrade, a 40g hd by default, a cheaper second ac...and that dvd write drive...

only thing apple offers direct is the internal bluetooth module.

but the mce deal is, for me anyway, the way to go.

january! (waiting for checks... )
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 17, 2003, 07:11 PM

okay so, the mce drives are supported by the finder, but what about booting off a disk? i know that some tower users have had trrouble with this in the past, and seeing how the ibook only has this one drive, does this mean that you can no longer update the os, that you cannot load diskwarrior if things get hairy?

just pondering...
Dan.

bleee
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 17, 2003, 08:56 PM

There's your iBook with a Superdrive though not from Apple.

http://www.macnn.com/news/22074

Geoff Crane
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 18, 2003, 08:58 AM

Hooray from MCE, except its a bit har to get their products here in Oz...

Why all the flaming saying "iBooks are for non-professionals, get a PowerBook"? What about the eMac? Surely they are the ultimate non-pro machine, even more than the iBook, and they have a Superdrive option.

If someone wants an iBook with 128 MB of vram, an 80 GB hard disk, a gig of RAM, a Superdrive and they want to pay for it, why not? Surely Apple are as happy with the money from that transaction (and I reckon all those options bring more profit then standad spec procucts)?
Geoff Crane

eMac 1.42/2048/160/SD-DL/APE
iBook 600/640/20/DVD/AP
AlBook 1.25/1024/60/SD/APE/BT (that work own...)

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 19, 2003, 10:57 AM

Originally posted by Geoff Crane:
Hooray from MCE, except its a bit har to get their products here in Oz...

Why all the flaming saying "iBooks are for non-professionals, get a PowerBook"? What about the eMac? Surely they are the ultimate non-pro machine, even more than the iBook, and they have a Superdrive option.

If someone wants an iBook with 128 MB of vram, an 80 GB hard disk, a gig of RAM, a Superdrive and they want to pay for it, why not? Surely Apple are as happy with the money from that transaction (and I reckon all those options bring more profit then standad spec procucts)?
Well, you can technically do all that with the exception of the VRAM. You can install up to 1.125GB of RAM in an iBook (the 1GB SO-DIMM will of course cost you nearly as much the iBook itself), you can open her up and drop in nearly any HD you wish, and now you can have a SuperDrive installed. While Apple may not offer all this as a factory BTO, cleary it can be done. Not even Dell offers every conceivable configuration of their computers, either.

waffffffle
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2003, 05:19 PM

While I completely understand why Apple doesn't want to cannibalize PowerBook sales I feel that there are a number advantages of the iBook's design over the PowerBook, the most important being durability. I use and iBook 500 as my primary portable, that is supplied to me by my job. The iBook will soon be replaced with a new 12" PowerBook and while I am very excited for this, I am a bit concerned. I was able to take the iBook anywhere and everywhere and not have to worry about it one bit. I would throw it in my book bag and take it to class and treat it as an actual book. After my experience with my new 15" PowerBook I feel like the 12" PowerBook will be too fragile to do the same with and I will need to get a case for it.

kertong
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 20, 2003, 06:41 PM

Originally posted by Macpilot:
Why won't Chevy let me have a Corvette engine in a Cavalier?
Not to get too off topic here, but up until 2002, you were able to get a corvette engine in a cavalier-quality car: the camaro! haha.

I myself have a camaro z28 with an LT1 engine (used in corvettes from '92-'96), and with a couple mods, I have reliably smoked 98+ vettes from a stop and from a highway roll. (But not the z06 vettes).

Anyhow, back to the topic. If you really want a superdrive on an ibook, your best bet would probably be to get an external dvd writer, and keep a combo drive on your ibook.

I wonder how swappable the CD-drive units are on the ibooks. if I had a g4 ibook, and a 12" pb with superdrive.. would it be possible, maybe with the help of a dremel, does anyone know? I wonder if they use the same interface going to the logic board..
I live my life one cool toy at a time.

Scooterboy
Senior User
Nov 20, 2003, 09:43 PM

Superdrive in iBooks! Cool! I'm in the market for a new 'book and was seriously looking at the PowerBooks, but $1300 for an iBook G4 with slot load Superdrive is too good to pass.

It looks like it doesn't void warranty either as MCE offers Applecare on these new iBooks with Superdrive, and at a nice discount as well.
Scooters are more fun than computers and only slightly more frustrating

Forum Links
Forum Rules