Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Airport (extreme), Netgear, help!

Airport (extreme), Netgear, help!
aqua_eyes23
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 13, 2003, 11:17 AM

I have a new G4 ibook. Let me warn you that this is my first mac after years of PC's so I am very new at this! I want to share my home internet connection with my ibook. I would like to get a router rather than the airport base station in order to save money. I've read conflicting posts as to which router is best/will work at all. How do I know which routers will work w/ mac? Can anyone suggest a router?

Thanks!

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 13, 2003, 03:58 PM

Any router with ethernet LAN ports should work for any ethernet equipped computer. The setup of such routers used to be problematic, since some manufacturers used platform-specific applications to handle configuration of the box; usually they were Windows apps. Everybody seems to have gotten smart since then, and every router I know of uses a browser interface so ANYBODY can configure it.

The big question is what kind of Internet connection you have. Most routers have only an ethernet port for their Internet side, so that leaves out all dial up connetions. Others have a PC-style serial port to let you connect an external, dial up modem. You have to do a little investigating to see what you need and what routers fit your needs.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

surfimp
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 13, 2003, 11:04 PM

As the above poster noted, any modern router should work fine for your needs. I've had very dependable service from a Linksys BEFSR41. I've had very good luck with it for a number of years now, and I believe they can be had pretty cheap now (~$40).

If you want to go wireless, you can get a Netgear MR814 for $30 (after rebate) from Amazon.com or Buy.com. I've got one of these working with my AirPort Extreme-equipped PowerBook and it seems pretty good.

Ohenri
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 16, 2003, 10:43 AM

My vote goes for NetGear (wireless + wired). I've had 3 (2 wifis in current use + 1 retired wired). No issues at all. Although, I'm using the Apple A.Card.

[edit]

I just looked arond some more and you might want to take a look @ this thread. Some news that you will want to consider.

H!
( Last edited by Ohenri; Nov 16, 2003 at 11:18 AM. )
--
En Guarde!

winwintoo
Nov 16, 2003, 11:10 AM

I have an AEBS in my apartment - it works sporadically.

Somebody elsewhere in this cement and steel highrise building has a Linksys router that they haven't bothered to secure with a password.

When my AEBS fails, I can always get on their network no problem.

Wish I had saved a couple hundred bucks and just got a Linksys in the first place.

m

Forum Links
Forum Rules