Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > hard to swap harddrives? 4200rpm Vs 5400rpm

hard to swap harddrives? 4200rpm Vs 5400rpm
s4iscool
Forum Regular
Nov 29, 2003, 03:46 PM

I have the 80gb 4200 version, and wish I had gotten the 5400, especially when I open a folder with hundreds of photos (the preview icons take some time)

Do people notice a big difference between the two? And if so, can the 80gb be swapped out for the 5400rpm drive? Expensive?
15" PB/1.25 G4/1gb ram/80gb hd/Superdrive
+ special screen with white spots AND dimmer right side than left. 2 Keyboard replacements, warping Al case wobbles on a flat table, squeeks when typing...etc.etc.etc. Superb!

anaphora68
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 29, 2003, 04:20 PM

It's possible to swap the hard drive out, but I would not recommend it unless you are damn handy with a set of micro-screwdrivers and at working in a cramped space. You're going to need to download the service manual, if you run a search for it you should be able to find a link on this forum.

If you're having so many problems with your powerbook I would assume you are trying to work on a solution. Just so you know, the second you put a new hard drive into your machine you void the warranty. (unless you have apple do it for you)

s4iscool  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 29, 2003, 04:44 PM

ah ok, ill stick with my 4200
15" PB/1.25 G4/1gb ram/80gb hd/Superdrive
+ special screen with white spots AND dimmer right side than left. 2 Keyboard replacements, warping Al case wobbles on a flat table, squeeks when typing...etc.etc.etc. Superb!

TonTaub
Forum Regular
Location: Sitting in a Viennese Cafe and drinking my Melange.
Jan 8, 2004, 08:04 PM

Hi,

I'm pondering wether I should spend the money for the faster HDD or not (plan to do audiorecording on the PB).

Is it really that bad?

Michael.
May 19th 2004: Switching Day! ( AlBook.G4/1,5GHz/768MB/80GB.5400rpm/128MB.VRAM/Superdrive/10.3.9 )
ok, that is history! :-)

Avenir
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2004, 10:22 PM

Originally posted by anaphora68:
Just so you know, the second you put a new hard drive into your machine you void the warranty. (unless you have apple do it for you)

Not necessarily true. Unless the rules are changed, the Hard drive is a customer installable part. See this article (updated just this past september) for an example.

I've swapped the HD on my Ti 500 several times, and while it can be a bit tricky, it's not horrible. Apple has instructions online (see above) for how to do it even.

spike[at]avenirex[dot]com | Avenirex
IM - Avenirx | ICQ - 3932806

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2004, 12:52 PM

Originally posted by Avenir:
Not necessarily true. Unless the rules are changed, the Hard drive is a customer installable part. See this article (updated just this past september) for an example.

I've swapped the HD on my Ti 500 several times, and while it can be a bit tricky, it's not horrible. Apple has instructions online (see above) for how to do it even.
Yes but there are no docs under User-installable for the new Aluminum Powerbooks. I'm sure it could still be done.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Ohenri
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 10, 2004, 04:49 AM

Yeah.. I concur with Tycoon. the CIPs are becoming very scarce [read: are pretty much dead]. A totally calculated move from Apple if you asked me. The last of the CIP friendly laps was and will remain the PISMO. Look around: they are still kicking around. The TiBook seemed pretty friendly as well. iBook? nope. And the AlBooks look like they're shutting cats out as well. This will force apple buyers to make some calls @ time of purchase, knowing they likely will not be able to u/g easily later. Bummer - esp since I'm not a fan of teh Fujitsu HDs shipping with the new PBs.

h!
--
En Guarde!

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jan 10, 2004, 04:00 PM

Mine didn't ship with a Fujitsu, it has a Hitachi/IBM Travelstar.

tooki

power142
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 11, 2004, 05:36 PM

Yeah, my friend's 2-week old 15-inch Albook has the Travelstar with 8MB cache and was bought from an Apple retail store. Combined with the faster processor, it definitely feels faster than my 1GHz 17-inch.

Forum Links
Forum Rules