Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > "Pretty soon we'll have to fly naked!"

"Pretty soon we'll have to fly naked!"
Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Aug 14, 2006, 10:53 AM

"It should have been seen as one of the most catastrophic events in modern history. Or so one might have thought last Thursday morning, when British authorities revealed they had thwarted an alleged scheme by terrorists to kill as many as 3,500 civilians on 10 jetliners in mid-air explosions over the Atlantic.

Funny thing, but the general public wasn't buying it. Thousands of ordinary folks posted their thoughts on Web forums set up by the BBC, The New York Times and other news outlets to monitor reaction. And that reaction was surprisingly mundane and cynical."

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Con...2154&t=TS_Home

I have to agree. I read an NBC story that mentioned that they plans were in development and most of the attackers didn't even have passports yet. The British Government was under pressure from the US Government to act immediately which caused this overreaction of suddenly shutting down airports and flights.

"Hello, what have we here?

moodymonster
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2006, 10:57 AM

I don't think it was an overreaction - you look at what you know:

plot to bomb multiple airliners

likely terrorists are, or soon will be, aware they're compromised

if the Sy Services don't get all the cells and don't shut down the flights you have a recipe for disaster.

actions taken were prudent.

Landos Mustache  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 14, 2006, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by moodymonster
I don't think it was an overreaction - you look at what you know:

plot to bomb multiple airliners

likely terrorists are, or soon will be, aware they're compromised

if the Sy Services don't get all the cells and don't shut down the flights you have a recipe for disaster.

actions taken were prudent.

Terrorists don't have passports, can't get near a plane as a result.

moodymonster
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2006, 10:58 AM

reaction is mundane and cynical because we're used to politicos doing things for their own good.

moodymonster
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2006, 11:01 AM

you can get a passport in a day, passports can be forged. Would you really want to run the risk of them having a passport somehow.

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 14, 2006, 11:13 AM

I was discussing this with my mom yesterday, and I believe I used those exact words "we'll have to fly naked."

I believe that terrorists are like electricity or water - they'll find the path of least resistance. After security started banning sharps and looking at people's shoes, they looked at the problem like this:

What ARE we allowed on board with?

The answer was simple. They could bring liquids on board and combine them to make explosives. And set them off using an MP3 player somehow.

OK, so now we've banned liquids. And (last I heard) the Brits won't allow electronics on board.

But what are we still allowed on planes with? Prescription meds for one. It wouldn't be hard to put the ingredients for a weopon in a med kit full of "insulin" or similar med. Would it? You just need a doctor's note, which can easily be forged.

I've come to a strikingly simple conclusion. The only way to make air travel safer but still convenient for those who are innocent is to do security screening and thorough background checks.

If you are going to fly, you'd have to register months beforehand to get your "license" to fly. Only after a thorough background check will you be cleared to fly. You'll have to renew your license every year.

Of course then terrorist would just use sleepers who have no criminal record. So it's certainly not without flaw.

There will have to be profiling, I think.

These asshats have taken all the fun out of flying for everyone. (It wasn't ever fun for me because I hate it, anyway.)
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

Landos Mustache  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 14, 2006, 11:22 AM

They need to put us all in sealed pods and in cryogenic sleep.

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 14, 2006, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Landos Mustache
They need to put us all in sealed pods and in cryogenic sleep.
That's a great plan. I bet the airlines could fit more people on board and save on sick-bags.

If I have to fly, I want vallium to put me in "cryogenic sleep." LOL
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

Landos Mustache  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 14, 2006, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by davesimondotcom
That's a great plan. I bet the airlines could fit more people on board and save on sick-bags.

If I have to fly, I want vallium to put me in "cryogenic sleep." LOL
Ya they can also stack us on the shelves they normally put the food on.

I just hope I don't wake up with freezer burn.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Aug 14, 2006, 11:46 AM

you can get a passport in a day
Indeed. Once, I couldn't find mine the day I was due to fly out to Germany. It took me about a half hour to get one at the airport.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Aug 14, 2006, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by davesimondotcom
I've come to a strikingly simple conclusion. The only way to make air travel safer but still convenient for those who are innocent is to do security screening and thorough background checks.

If you are going to fly, you'd have to register months beforehand to get your "license" to fly. Only after a thorough background check will you be cleared to fly. You'll have to renew your license every year.

Of course then terrorist would just use sleepers who have no criminal record. So it's certainly not without flaw.

There will have to be profiling, I think.
Or, you could just require that all airlines have pigskin seat upholstery.

Landos Mustache  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 14, 2006, 11:50 AM

you can get a passport in a day
You really think that if they are tracking them for that long they would approve a Passport or not flag them if they board a plane?

Monique
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2006, 11:57 AM

You can live your life in total fear, saying I cannot go anywhere because this guy or that guy has a bomb when in reality it does not happened often and the authority have found the guilty party in London way before it happened. It is an overreaction here in Canada for example that we cannot bring water on a plane, just make us drink it and see if we explode or not. I guarantee that the terrorists are not going to drink it. I expect more security if I go to Europe or the United States but not within a country like Canada.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 14, 2006, 12:16 PM

I already fly naked. I like to stay ahead of the game.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Aug 14, 2006, 12:41 PM

I believe it was the right course for them to make the arrests, but I do think they're embellishing the situation.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

moodymonster
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2006, 12:45 PM

you can get forged passports and so on... if you are raiding people who are involved in a plot like this, you don't play fast and loose.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Aug 14, 2006, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Monique
It is an overreaction here in Canada for example that we cannot bring water on a plane, just make us drink it and see if we explode or not. I guarantee that the terrorists are not going to drink it.
I like that plan

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 14, 2006, 01:07 PM

This thread is pretty stupid, that's about all there is to say.

Landos Mustache  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 14, 2006, 01:18 PM

you can get forged passports and so on... if you are raiding people who are involved in a plot like this, you don't play fast and loose.

Loose eh.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 14, 2006, 01:20 PM

Tell us how you would've done it better, because so far your criticisms of this successful operation make no sense.

Landos Mustache  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 14, 2006, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan
Tell us how you would've done it better, because so far your criticisms of this successful operation make no sense.
How about don't suddenly shut down all flights and make people dump their belongings just to board a plane.

Arrest the people that you have been following for ages, warn people ahead of time that fluids and electronics will no longer be allowed on a flight.

Not to mention insurance isn't covering any electronics put in bags.

mojo2
Professional Poster
Aug 14, 2006, 10:25 PM

OK. After 10+ years of attacks and thousands dead and hundreds of warnings and countless numbers of websites providing all the information needed, I'm giving up.

I'm telling the terrorists they win.

Not only do they win, I'm now convinced they are correct!

Westerners* are absolutely in need of guidance. Divine guidance. And a very strong hand.
The kind of idiocy that is displayed in many threads here is awesomely profound.

It is proof positive that man is his own worst enemy and only Islam has the guts and the swordsmen who are willing and able to rescue these mentally aberrant individuals from lives of complete degradation.

*Uh, make that liberal westerners.
Give petty people just a little bit of power and watch how they misuse it! You can't silence the self doubt, can you?

mojo2
Professional Poster
Aug 14, 2006, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy
Or, you could just require that all airlines have pigskin seat upholstery.
I like that!
Give petty people just a little bit of power and watch how they misuse it! You can't silence the self doubt, can you?

invisibleX
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2006, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by mojo2
OK. After 10+ years of attacks and thousands dead and hundreds of warnings and countless numbers of websites providing all the information needed, I'm giving up.

I'm telling the terrorists they win.

Not only do they win, I'm now convinced they are correct!

Westerners* are absolutely in need of guidance. Divine guidance. And a very strong hand.
The kind of idiocy that is displayed in many threads here is awesomely profound.

It is proof positive that man is his own worst enemy and only Islam has the guts and the swordsmen who are willing and able to rescue these mentally aberrant individuals from lives of complete degradation.

*Uh, make that liberal westerners.
Oh noes, Mojo hates liberals! You still fail to have a point as usual.
-"I don't believe in God. "
"That doesn't matter. He believes in you."

-"I'm not agnostic. Just nonpartisan. Theological Switzerland, that's me."

invisibleX
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2006, 11:35 PM

I like that!
You must have a lot of jewish friends.

mojo2
Professional Poster
Aug 14, 2006, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by invisibleX
You must have a lot of jewish friends.
You must be a Muslim jihadist.

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Aug 14, 2006, 11:39 PM

*smackdown*

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2006, 11:57 PM

You wonder just what would happen if you showed up at the airport stark naked except for your travel documents and a check-in suitcase? Of course, naked being in the interest of safety for the public so that they can rest assured you aren't packing anything dangerous (or at least not in plain sight)...

Funny how they haven't touched upon mandatory body cavity searches of passengers just yet; you wonder if in a year or two, along with the pat down, shoe check, and wand waving, they start to do the one-digit check?
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

mojo2
Professional Poster
Aug 15, 2006, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by Spliffdaddy
*smackdown*
Thanks! It never gets old and it always makes me smile to earn a

And as for any veiled accusations of being a "dirty jew lover," I'm reminded of the words of John F. Kennedy.

[AUTHENTICITY CERTIFIED: Text version below transcribed directly from audio. (2) ]

I am proud to come to this city as the guest of your distinguished Mayor, who has symbolized throughout the world the fighting spirit of West Berlin. And I am proud -- And I am proud to visit the Federal Republic with your distinguished Chancellor who for so many years has committed Germany to democracy and freedom and progress, and to come here in the company of my fellow American, General Clay, who -- who has been in this city during its great moments of crisis and will come again if ever needed.

Two thousand years ago, two thousand years ago, the proudest boast was "civis Romanus sum." Today, in the world of freedom, the proudest boast is "Ich bin ein Berliner."

(I appreciate my interpreter translating my German.)

There are many people in the world who really don't understand, or say they don't, what is the great issue between the free world and the Communist world.

Let them come to Berlin.

There are some who say -- There are some who say that communism is the wave of the future.

Let them come to Berlin.

And there are some who say, in Europe and elsewhere, we can work with the Communists.

Let them come to Berlin.

And there are even a few who say that it is true that communism is an evil system, but it permits us to make economic progress.

Lass' sie nach Berlin kommen. Let them come to Berlin.

Freedom has many difficulties and democracy is not perfect. But we have never had to put a wall up to keep our people in -- to prevent them from leaving us. I want to say on behalf of my countrymen who live many miles away on the other side of the Atlantic, who are far distant from you, that they take the greatest pride, that they have been able to share with you, even from a distance, the story of the last 18 years. I know of no town, no city, that has been besieged for 18 years that still lives with the vitality and the force, and the hope, and the determination of the city of West Berlin.

While the wall is the most obvious and vivid demonstration of the failures of the Communist system -- for all the world to see -- we take no satisfaction in it; for it is, as your Mayor has said, an offense not only against history but an offense against humanity, separating families, dividing husbands and wives and brothers and sisters, and dividing a people who wish to be joined together.

What is -- What is true of this city is true of Germany: Real, lasting peace in Europe can never be assured as long as one German out of four is denied the elementary right of free men, and that is to make a free choice. In 18 years of peace and good faith, this generation of Germans has earned the right to be free, including the right to unite their families and their nation in lasting peace, with good will to all people.

You live in a defended island of freedom, but your life is part of the main. So let me ask you, as I close, to lift your eyes beyond the dangers of today, to the hopes of tomorrow, beyond the freedom merely of this city of Berlin, or your country of Germany, to the advance of freedom everywhere, beyond the wall to the day of peace with justice, beyond yourselves and ourselves to all mankind.

Freedom is indivisible, and when one man is enslaved, all are not free. When all are free, then we look -- can look forward to that day when this city will be joined as one and this country and this great Continent of Europe in a peaceful and hopeful globe. When that day finally comes, as it will, the people of West Berlin can take sober satisfaction in the fact that they were in the front lines for almost two decades.

All -- All free men, wherever they may live, are citizens of Berlin.

And, therefore, as a free man, I take pride in the words "Ich bin ein Berliner."
All -- All free men, wherever they may live, are citizens of Israel.

And, therefore, as a free man, I take pride in the words I AM AN ISRAELI.

http://www.americanrhetoric.com/spee...nberliner.html

invisibleX
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2006, 12:45 AM

And as for any veiled accusations of being a "dirty jew lover," I'm reminded of the words of John F. Kennedy.

So you don't hate jews but you advocate making them unable to fly on airlines? I'm sorry but you just can't salvage that kind of stupid statement.

invisibleX
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2006, 12:47 AM

You must be a Muslim jihadist.
And you're a cow!

Please, try to refrain from baseless accusations. Or at least make your come backs funny.

mojo2
Professional Poster
Aug 15, 2006, 01:12 AM

And you're a cow!

Please, try to refrain from baseless accusations. Or at least make your come backs funny.
GIGO = Garbage in, Garbage out.

Your assumption that I have a lot of jewish friends is faulty. So, I replied to you with a similar kind of assumption hoping you'd see the error in your own 'logic.' That it, apparently, flew right over your head is a signal to the readership as to your intellectual and/or emotional level.

Anyone who respects the basic right of a people to live in peace with their neighbors but have been unable to stop the deadly attacks on them would feel the same as I.

The Islamic enemies of Israel prove every day their claim that they "love death." But the Koran says that no one can enter paradise if there is any pig flesh or blood on them and so they HATE PIGS. Including some pork in every part of the plane just might work to dissuade suicide hijackings.

One needn't have any Jewish friends to appreciate the humor and the truth of that suggestion to halt jihadists from blowing up planes in flight by using pigskin seat coverings.

For you to believe it does suggests you are struggling with significant intellectual or emotional challenges.

For you I have the greatest pity.

invisibleX
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2006, 02:08 AM

GIGO = Garbage in, Garbage out.

Your assumption that I have a lot of jewish friends is faulty. So, I replied to you with a similar kind of assumption hoping you'd see the error in your own 'logic.' That it, apparently, flew right over your head is a signal to the readership as to your intellectual and/or emotional level.

Anyone who respects the basic right of a people to live in peace with their neighbors but have been unable to stop the deadly attacks on them would feel the same as I.

The Islamic enemies of Israel prove every day their claim that they "love death." But the Koran says that no one can enter paradise if there is any pig flesh or blood on them and so they HATE PIGS. Including some pork in every part of the plane just might work to dissuade suicide hijackings.

One needn't have any Jewish friends to appreciate the humor and the truth of that suggestion to halt jihadists from blowing up planes in flight by using pigskin seat coverings.

For you to believe it does suggests you are struggling with significant intellectual or emotional challenges.

For you I have the greatest pity.
You see my statement was sarcastic. Aka, you must not have any jewish friends because you're a racist pig. See thats what I literally meant. I know I know I should state things extremely clearly for you. My bad.

Israel? What chu talkin bout? Where did "enemies of israel" come into this conversation? Or is that some sort of racist comment against all muslims?

Oh my, read the Qu'ran have we? You might want to reread that because actually muslims can touch or eat pigs out of necessity. In fact it seems as though jews and muslims are forbidden from touching the dead carcass. As neither jew or muslim I'd rather not make assumptions as to how this applies to pig skin.

Personal attacks? Thats low.

undotwa
Professional Poster
Aug 15, 2006, 02:15 AM

All -- All free men, wherever they may live, are citizens of Israel.

And, therefore, as a free man, I take pride in the words I AM AN ISRAELI.

http://www.americanrhetoric.com/spee...nberliner.html
George Bush's speeches just don't seem to have the same 'ticker'.
In vino veritas.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Aug 15, 2006, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Monique
You can live your life in total fear, saying I cannot go anywhere because this guy or that guy has a bomb when in reality it does not happened often and the authority have found the guilty party in London way before it happened.
For once, it seems we agree on something. However...
It is an overreaction here in Canada for example that we cannot bring water on a plane, just make us drink it and see if we explode or not. I guarantee that the terrorists are not going to drink it.
That could work for water, but it's not a general solution. Consider liquid medicines, for example; these often need to be administered at specific times, and so depending on timing that security can't predict, it could very well be dangerous to make a person drink an otherwise-harmless liquid just before getting onto a plane.

There are other ways this possibility can be defeated. Among the liquids which it might be useful for terrorists to bring on a plane, not all that many kill within seconds of ingestion. Given that the terrorists expect to die anyway, your tactic leaves open the possibility of one acting as a "sacrificial lamb," drinking some of the liquid to get it onto the plane, then passing it to a partner before he dies.

It's also possible to make some forms of explosives from ingredients which are, by themselves, completely edible. What will be the next thing banned from flights: Oreo cookies?
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Aug 15, 2006, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Landos Mustache
Loose eh.
Yeah. Loose.

Fast and loose. It is a phrase. But what would I know, English is just my third language

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Landos Mustache  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 15, 2006, 12:37 PM

you can get forged passports and so on...
OK I guess we should bother with passports at all then as they can be so easily faked and obtained.

So now we will fly naked and passport free.

moodymonster
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2006, 01:00 PM

In the UK we have had several major intelligence failures (7/7 & 21/7 bombings + 22/7 killing the wrong guy), and, more recently shooting a man in Forest Gate, who wasn't linked to terrorism during a raid. It would appear that while the Sy Services believe a situation to be one way, it can easily be another.

With this is mind, if you are stopping terrorists you believe to be plotting attacks it would be prudent to assume you don't have all the cards and therefore halt flights at that time just in case someone you didn't know slipped through the net. Or indeed the people followed by the Sy Services were a decoy, and the real attack was by another cell.

evfish84
Aug 15, 2006, 01:23 PM

So you don't hate jews but you advocate making them unable to fly on airlines?
Jews are only unable to eat pig. They have no restrictions for sitting on pig leather.
15.4" MacBook Pro - 2.16 GHz, 100 GB HD, 2 GB RAM
30 GB Video iPod
4 GB iPod Mini

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Aug 15, 2006, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by evfish84
Jews are only unable to eat pig. They have no restrictions for sitting on pig leather.
What about vegans, then?
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Aug 15, 2006, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Millennium
What about vegans, then?
Just tell 'em it's p-leather.

evfish84
Aug 15, 2006, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Millennium
What about vegans, then?
Will vegans really not sit in a leather seat?
15.4" MacBook Pro - 2.16 GHz, 100 GB HD, 2 GB RAM
30 GB Video iPod
4 GB iPod Mini

Landos Mustache  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 15, 2006, 03:28 PM

Will vegans really not sit in a leather seat?
They will however they will refuse to lick it when requested to do so which is standard on all flights.

invisibleX
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2006, 04:01 PM

Yes, I initially didn't realize that. As it happens to same applies to muslims.

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 15, 2006, 04:24 PM

Isn’t there something more convenient that wards off radical Muslims? You know, like holy water, sunlight, or garlic or something? All these plots involving pig caucuses somehow make me nervous.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Aug 15, 2006, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by CRASH HARDDRIVE
pig caucuses somehow make me nervous.
They don't tend to be very pro-human.

invisibleX
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2006, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar
They don't tend to be very pro-human.
You know whats funny? I stumbled across this very same discussion on another forum. One of the people posting was named "Datar".

Monique
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2006, 05:53 PM

Another plan you put the terrorist in a truck with his explosive liquid then you forget about him for a while and he explodes and the world is safer.

hey!_Zeus
Banned
Aug 15, 2006, 06:30 PM

I'll only go as far as a penis sock...and maybe a small butt plug.

mojo2
Professional Poster
Aug 15, 2006, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by undotwa
George Bush's speeches just don't seem to have the same 'ticker'.
And you are the 'spitting' image of Father Ralph de Bricassart???

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Father_Ralph_de_Bricassart

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Thorn_Birds

Forum Links
Forum Rules