Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > The Pope Dares Mention Mohammed's Command "By the Sword"

The Pope Dares Mention Mohammed's Command "By the Sword" (Page 7)
Sayf-Allah
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 18, 2006, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan
To some extent I agree that Islamic doctrine is more believable in certain areas.

Out of sheer curiousity, I was listening to a Southern Baptist minister who was talking about ways to approach to Muslims. The interviewer asked him "How do you answer Muslims' criticism that the Trinity is a polytheistic doctrine?" The minister's answer to that was unfortunately very flimsy and unconvincing. Even though he devotes his life to preaching the Gospel in Muslim countries, he sounded almost as if he had no way to answer one of Islam's biggest objections to Christianity.

Do you think Christianity is a polytheistic religion?
I'll try to answer this as clearly as possible. If there's anything you want me to clarify feel free to ask me about it.

Christianity isn't a polytheistic religion but I do believe some Christians are bordering on being polytheists.

Like you say, when you ask some Christians about the trinity they can't give you a straight up answer about what it is. A while ago Railhead (or Railroader) gave a good explanation to it (that I can't find right now so if he'd be willing to share that with us it would be great). On the same time you have people like Kevin who thinks he is visited by the Holy Spirit on a regular basis.

Now if the Holy Spirit visits Kevin on a regular basis and the Holy Spirit is one aspect of God it means that God visits Kevin on a regular basis. That, IMHO, is heresy. Both from a Christian POV and most certainly from a Muslim point of view. On the other hand, if he believes the Holy Spirit isn't God (but still believes in the Trinity) that's polytheism IMO.

If the trinity is just a name and/or description of God's character (like in Islam where God has 99 names/attributes) I have no problem with it. But when people believe each part of the trinity can "act" individually (like being visited by the Holy Spirit without being visited by God) I consider that polytheism.

So what I'm trying to say is that even though IMO Christianity isn't a polytheistic religion I believe many Christians are very close to (or even are) being polytheists.

So like the Babtist minister I have a problem explaining it.

But like I said. Feel free to ask me to clarify anything you want. I'll do my best to answer it as well as possible.

"Learn to swim"

Sayf-Allah
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 18, 2006, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by PB2K
now all i need is an explanation why i see a sword in sayf-allah's sig

what do you need a sword for?
Sayf = Sword
Allah = God

Sayf-Allah = Sword of God.

I want to cut through the crap posted here. Hence instead of a butterknife I chose a sword. Much more effective.

"Learn to swim"

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Sep 18, 2006, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by Sayf-Allah
Sayf = Sword
Allah = God

I want to cut through the crap posted here. Hence instead of a butterknife I chose a sword. Much more effective.
Haha guess you missed the memo about the pen being mightier than the sword!

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

undotwa
Professional Poster
Sep 18, 2006, 06:19 AM

I'll try to answer this as clearly as possible. If there's anything you want me to clarify feel free to ask me about it.

Christianity isn't a polytheistic religion but I do believe some Christians are bordering on being polytheists.

Like you say, when you ask some Christians about the trinity they can't give you a straight up answer about what it is. A while ago Railhead (or Railroader) gave a good explanation to it (that I can't find right now so if he'd be willing to share that with us it would be great). On the same time you have people like Kevin who thinks he is visited by the Holy Spirit on a regular basis.

Now if the Holy Spirit visits Kevin on a regular basis and the Holy Spirit is one aspect of God it means that God visits Kevin on a regular basis. That, IMHO, is heresy. Both from a Christian POV and most certainly from a Muslim point of view. On the other hand, if he believes the Holy Spirit isn't God (but still believes in the Trinity) that's polytheism IMO.

If the trinity is just a name and/or description of God's character (like in Islam where God has 99 names/attributes) I have no problem with it. But when people believe each part of the trinity can "act" individually (like being visited by the Holy Spirit without being visited by God) I consider that polytheism.

So what I'm trying to say is that even though IMO Christianity isn't a polytheistic religion I believe many Christians are very close to (or even are) being polytheists.

So like the Babtist minister I have a problem explaining it.

But like I said. Feel free to ask me to clarify anything you want. I'll do my best to answer it as well as possible.
What you are saying is not correct. The Holy Spirit is God, but the Holy Spirit is not God the Father. So you can be visited by the Holy Spirit. Just like Jesus Christ is God, but is not the Holy Spirit nor is he the Father. There are three distinct persons in the Trinity, but united in a mysterious way into one God. They are not merely aspects of God, but persons.

Now you may take this as polytheism, but it is not. Credo in unum Deum - I believe in one God. This is the core of the Christian faith.
In vino veritas.

Taliesin
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2006, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by voodoo
No, no hidden meaning. 'Musulmán' is just Spanish for 'muslim' and 'musulmanes' is plural.

I sometimes confuse words between languages if they are similar. Perdone.

V
Ah, I see, unfortunately I have nearly no knowledge about the spanish language, maybe I should take some time to learn it. Nonetheless gracias for the clarification.

Taliesin

Kevin
Baninated
Sep 18, 2006, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by Kr0nos
You didn't "explain" anything.
Yes, yes I did. I said I was attempting to show were the media OVERPLAYED the accounts. AND THEY DID.
All you did was lie about the intent (which was CLEARLY made in the spirit of downplaying the importance of these atrocities) of your post
See this is where your posts start getting pretentiously silly.

For you to say you know better than I as to what I was thinking when I posted that.

Come on Kronos..... *snort* most of us are educated people here.

Do you REALLY expect us to believe this?

No, this is just another case of Kronos projecting ideals or motives onto people that simply do no exist in order to prove some bizarre point he has made sticking his foot in his mouth in the process.

I am sorry Kronos. You simply don't know my intentions better than I do.

But hey, I am gonna give you the benefit of the doubt. Please prove to the class I am "lying"

(as you usually do when somebody shoves the "proof" that you demand right back in yer face).
Baseless accusations. Please back this up. As a matter of fact, I am KNOWN to not only admit I am wrong about something, but APOLOGIZE to the person I was arguing with when I AM wrong about something. (I can give you examples if you wish)

Something you need to learn to do yourself.
Of course you'll come back with some condescending sh1t and more lies. But it'll be too late.
Um, Kronos, that is exactly what you are doing. Don't you even see it?
( Last edited by Kevin; Sep 18, 2006 at 07:07 AM. )

Kevin
Baninated
Sep 18, 2006, 06:57 AM

Except for people like yourself, zimpo, marden, idjeff etc. and, unfortunately, quite a few other morons, who are our own version of the Taliban.
Who are our own versions? Whaaaa? This is comedy Gold folks.
Originally Posted by idjeff
What's with the personal attack?
This happens in most threads Kronos takes part in. It's how he debates.

And if Kronos wants me to post many examples, I can.

Kevin
Baninated
Sep 18, 2006, 07:00 AM

On the same time you have people like Kevin who thinks he is visited by the Holy Spirit on a regular basis.

For one thing, this posts was posted in dishonesty. I have NEVER said the Holy Spirit visits me on a regular basis. Stop making things up.
Sayf = Sword
Allah = God

I think a knife would be better. Cause it seems all you are doing is spreading the crap on thicker.

Cutting through the crap isn't making up more lies like you just did above.
( Last edited by Kevin; Sep 18, 2006 at 07:08 AM. )

Taliesin
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2006, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan
I know that we don't think it is. But in Islam there has long been a belief that Christianity is polytheistic, due in large part to propaganda claiming that Mary, Joseph, and Jesus were all regarded as separate Gods in Christianity.

So I just wanted to know what vW thought.
I'm not vW, but here are my 2c:

The Quran clearly sees judaism and christianity and islam as equally able to lead to salvation, everyone of these religions has the same opportunity to reach paradise and to escape hell, depending on the good deeds, the repentance felt in this life, the strenght of the faith, the truthfulness, the righteousness, the mercifulness, the justice-fulness (probably wrong word)...

So clearly the Quran doesn't regard christianity's trinity-teachment as being polytheism, because the trinity-teachment sees God in all three personalities, and all of these manifestations of God were preaching the same message, so that it is in the end one God.

But those christian tribes in Arabia that allied themselves with polytheistic Mecca, became polytheists themselves (probably because poyltheistic Mecca asked them as a precondition for the alliance to take part in the meccan idolatry and to provide their own idols to be set up in the Kaabah). They set up Mary and Jesus as separate dieties, as idols, beside God, and then allowed many customs and sinful practices of the polytheistic Meccans to be emulated within their own communities leading astray from God's path. They knew that these practices were sinful, but they thought they could get away with it by making pilgrimage to the idols in the Kaabah and praying to them and sacrificing for them, thinking that they would get Jesus and Mary to ask for forgivance for them from God. That was definetly polytheism.

Interesting bridge to the modern times is, that the pope told the catholics to pray to Mary so that she would petition for them from God and ask for forgivance in their name. I would like to know which part of the New Testament allows to pray to Mary for seeking petitioning in the name of the praying one. And why not praying directly to God?

Taliesin

Kevin
Baninated
Sep 18, 2006, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by Taliesin
Interesting bridge to the modern times is, that the pope told the catholics to pray to Mary so that she would petition for them from God and ask for forgivance in their name. I would like to know which part of the New Testament allows to pray to Mary for seeking petitioning in the name of the praying one. And why not praying directly to God?
You aren't the only one that would Taliesin. I'd love to know that myself. As a matter of fact, Mary wasn't mentioned all that much.

Kr0nos
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2006, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin
Yes, yes I did. I said I was attempting to show were the media OVERPLAYED the accounts. AND THEY DID.
No, they didn't. And your post wasn't concerned with media representation (there was no mention of it).

Come on Kronos..... *snort* most of us are educated people here.
I know. Except for you of course.

I am sorry Kronos. You simply don't know my intentions better than I do.
LOL. This has nothing to do with me "knowing". It has to do with you being a liar and generally a completely dishonest person.

But hey, I am gonna give you the benefit of the doubt. Please prove to the class I am "lying"
If you weren't lying about the intentions of your post, why do you even care what I have to say? I can tell you why, - because you're full of sh1t, that's why.

As a matter of fact, I am KNOWN to not only admit I am wrong about something, but APOLOGIZE to the person I was arguing with when I AM wrong about something.
Bwahhhhhhhhhhahhahahhhahhahhahaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. NO! (I don't care if you've done it once or twice before. You've gotten your ass handed to you in just about every discussion you've been in here at MacNN, and 99% of the time you tried to bullsh1t your way out, just like you're trying to now)

If I change my way of living, and if I pave my streets with good times, will the mountain keep on giving…

Kevin
Baninated
Sep 18, 2006, 07:37 AM

No, they didn't.
Um will we just agree to disagree.
And your post wasn't concerned with media representation (there was no mention of it).
Kronos if you'd pay attention to what people have said instead of attempting to find the next sarcastic personal attack you'd know that has been my complaint from the beginning.

That I have said the people responsible for doing BAD THINGS should be held accountable. But the WHOLE ORDEAL was over-blown.
I know. Except for you of course.
Grow up.
LOL. This has nothing to do with me "knowing". It has to do with you being a liar and generally a completely dishonest person.
Grow up.
If you weren't lying about the intentions of your post, why do you even care what I have to say? I can tell you why, - because you're full of sh1t, that's why.
Circular. And Grow up.
Bwahhhhhhhhhhahhahahhhahhahhahaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. NO! (I don't care if you've done it once or twice before. You've gotten your ass handed to you in just about every discussion you've been in here at MacNN, and 99% of the time you tried to bullsh1t your way out, just like you're trying to now)
More baseless accusations.

This post of yours had added nothing to your credibility.

Or proved in any way what you are trying to pass off as truth.

You might as well have not posted it.

Just a bunch of personal attacks. Way to go Kronos.

You are just like the muslims that claim they aren't violent, while being violent.

In a "I don't personal attack you moron" type of way.

Kr0nos
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2006, 07:39 AM

Who are our own versions? Whaaaa? This is comedy Gold folks.
Laugh it up Kevin bin Laden.

Kind of sucks if you can't point your dirty little finger at religious fundies when it makes you look like a complete and total hypocrite, doesn't it?

If I change my way of living, and if I pave my streets with good times, will the mountain keep on giving…

Kevin
Baninated
Sep 18, 2006, 07:41 AM

Laugh it up Kevin bin Laden.

Kind of sucks if you can't point your dirty little finger at religious fundies when it makes you look like a complete and total hypocrite, doesn't it?
Again Kronos. Grow up.

You've made it clear you don't want to discuss anything. Just sling mud, and act the ass.

Kr0nos
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2006, 07:46 AM

That I have said the people responsible for doing BAD THINGS should be held accountable. But the WHOLE ORDEAL was over-blown.
Bullshit. You were likening the atrocities to "frat hazing" - that has absolutely nothing to do with "media-representation".

Grow up.
Shut up

Grow up.
Shut up.

Circular. And Grow up.
Dishonest. And shut up.

We can contiue this for the rest of the day if you want.

More baseless accusations.
More lies.

Just a bunch of personal attacks.
You're the one to talk.

Again, why would you even care if I wasn't right about you being full of crap and dishonest?

Kr0nos
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2006, 07:50 AM

Again Kronos. Grow up.
Again Kevin. Shut up.

You've made it clear you don't want to discuss anything. Just sling mud, and act the ass.
You don't even know how to lead an honest discussion. It's all about lies and bullsh1t innuendos. I'm sure you think you're pretty smart for posting deliberatlely vague and ambiguos stuff and then lie about your intentions.

Too bad you've been figured out.

Taliesin
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2006, 07:51 AM

Haha guess you missed the memo about the pen being mightier than the sword!

V
Indeed, the pen is indeed much mightier than the sword, a pen can create ideas, and ideas can become ideologies, and ideas and ideologies can mobilise millions that are convinced and willing to act upon the ideas and ideologies, which can survive the creator of the ideas, even survive the death of most of the convinced masses, and that's why a pen is mightier than a sword.

A sword only symbolises the might of the moment, until the sword breaks or the sword-figher dies, an idea is unbreakable and immortal.

This gets me to back to the topic of the pope, faith and rationality. He proposed that faith and rationality should come together, so that irrationality and violence in the name of faith get abolished or at least reduced very much.

I think there is a mistake in that thinking: The pope thinks that rationality leads to peace, but that isn't necessarily the case. Unchecked rationality can lead to huge desasters, crimes against humanity, wars... espescially when coupled with an idea. The idea of the american eugenics of the last century was the idea of guiding the evolution of humanity, instead of letting it go on on its own.
Hitler became a big fan of the american eugenics, and aimed to transform these ideas into a governmental program, in order to improve the race of the germans. Very rational, this led to the decision to act against homosexuals, handicapped people, other races (of which one were the jews, that got genocided) in Germany...

Taliesin

Kr0nos
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2006, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by idjeff
What's with the personal attack?
Funny that you ask, since just about every post you've made directed at me has been a personal attack.

OTOH, I was just making an example of you and those who post here at MacNN who have similiar opinions. As a matter of fact it wasn't a "personal" attack at all.

Kevin
Baninated
Sep 18, 2006, 08:12 AM

Bullshit. You were likening the atrocities to "frat hazing"
To the ones mentioned I was. Within context.

that has absolutely nothing to do with "media-representation".
I was speaking of the drama queening. The exaggerations.

Read this post Kronos

I never said it was ok to do these things. I am saying the left is being Drama Queens and overacting to what happened. YES these things shouldn't happen. YES the people responsible should be punished. But are these great atrocities? NO. These aren't even as bad as Frat initiations.
The things I was pointing out was the PICTURES posted above. DIG?

Within context.
Shut up

Shut up.

Dishonest. And shut up.
From now on Kronos, you aren't allowed to make accusations unless you back them up in the same post.
We can contiue this for the rest of the day if you want.
Yes, I know it's not hard for you to write out posts with no substance. You've been doing it all the whole thread.
Again, why would you even care if I wasn't right about you being full of crap and dishonest?
I don't know. When someone starts spreading lies about you, one would tend to want to disprove such silliness.

as I just did.
Funny that you ask, since just about every post you've made directed at me has been a personal attack.

OTOH, I was just making an example of you and those who post here at MacNN who have similiar opinions. As a matter of fact it wasn't a "personal" attack at all.
First you blame-shift, then you deny.

Classic.

The only thing you've been doing in this thread, and most threads is personal attacks Kronos.

I can post many examples in the past week alone if you want me to.

undotwa
Professional Poster
Sep 18, 2006, 08:26 AM

Indeed, the pen is indeed much mightier than the sword, a pen can create ideas, and ideas can become ideologies, and ideas and ideologies can mobilise millions that are convinced and willing to act upon the ideas and ideologies, which can survive the creator of the ideas, even survive the death of most of the convinced masses, and that's why a pen is mightier than a sword.

A sword only symbolises the might of the moment, until the sword breaks or the sword-figher dies, an idea is unbreakable and immortal.

This gets me to back to the topic of the pope, faith and rationality. He proposed that faith and rationality should come together, so that irrationality and violence in the name of faith get abolished or at least reduced very much.

I think there is a mistake in that thinking: The pope thinks that rationality leads to peace, but that isn't necessarily the case. Unchecked rationality can lead to huge desasters, crimes against humanity, wars... espescially when coupled with an idea. The idea of the american eugenics of the last century was the idea of guiding the evolution of humanity, instead of letting it go on on its own.
Hitler became a big fan of the american eugenics, and aimed to transform these ideas into a governmental program, in order to improve the race of the germans. Very rational, this led to the decision to act against homosexuals, handicapped people, other races (of which one were the jews, that got genocided) in Germany...

Taliesin
No, you are misintepreting what the pope is saying (like so many muslims!). The pope is by no means a rationalist. The pope is merely reitering the long standing Catholic teaching that faith should never be blind in that since God is truth, there should be no contradiction between faith and reason. He proposes, like his predecessor Pope John Paul II in his encyclical Fides et Ratio, a close relationship between faith and reason. He is not advocating rationalism!
In vino veritas.

Kr0nos
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2006, 08:56 AM

To the ones mentioned I was. Within context.
RRRrrrrrright.

Heh. Classic Zimpo. You were likening Abu Graihb to frat hazing and then somehow are trying to qualify this as a critique of the media??? LOL

I'm sure not even black baby jeebus would believe you.

From now on Kronos, you aren't allowed to make accusations unless you back them up in the same post.
LOL. I will do pretty much as I please. Thank you.

I don't know. When someone starts spreading lies about you, one would tend to want to disprove such silliness.
That's just the point. You're not disproving anything.

You're simply posting dishonest replys and then trying to bate me into disproving your dishonesty. LOL.

I have a feeling this doesn't work too well for you in real life, doesn't it?

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Sep 18, 2006, 09:05 AM

Who cares? BTW vmarks already said they didn't match.
There are so many easy reasons why they wouldn't match and it would still be the same person.

Kevin
Baninated
Sep 18, 2006, 09:09 AM

RRRrrrrrright.

Heh. Classic Zimpo. You were likening Abu Graihb to frat hazing and then somehow are trying to qualify this as a critique of the media??? LOL

I'm sure not even black baby jeebus would believe you.
Kr0nos try reading all my post, and not just quoting things out of context. I showed were I was complaining about the drama queening right? Right I showed where I within context was calling the PICTURES POSTED "Frat hazing" right? Right.

You are attempting to take all those out of context, and give them new meaning to fit your bizarro accusations you keep making.
LOL. I will do pretty much as I please. Thank you.
Of course. That doesn't mean we believe you.
That's just the point. You're not disproving anything.
Yes, I debunked you accusations. Go back up and read.
You're simply posting dishonest replys and then trying to bate me into disproving your dishonesty. LOL.
No, you made baseless accusations of things I said out of context.

I put them IN context to show my intentions. Something you never did.

Do you need me to explain to you the importance of quoting text within context?

Or how taking things out of context and spinning it like you have is dishonest?

I assure you Kronos, I know my intentions better than you know my intentions.

Why you are arguing otherwise is beyond me. It's a arguement you simply can't "win"

But keep it going. I'll reply debunking your posts the same.

Again, the frat hazing comment was about the pictures posted above my post. Which I said "Looks like frat hazing to me"

You keep wanting the participants of this thread to forget the fact I said this about said pictures that were posted in said thread.

am saying the left is being Drama Queens and overacting to what happened. YES these things shouldn't happen. YES the people responsible should be punished. But are these great atrocities? NO. These aren't even as bad as Frat initiations.

Which totally goes against what you have accused me of accept the frat initiations comment which I never denied. But you also took out of context, as I was referring to said pictures that were posted.

Tell me Kronos, if I didn't think anything bad or wrong happened, why would I say people that were responsible need punished?
( Last edited by Kevin; Sep 18, 2006 at 09:18 AM. )

Kr0nos
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2006, 09:17 AM

Right I showed where I within context was calling the PICTURES POSTED "Frat hazing" right? Right.
WRONG. You were comparing the two. In no way were you reffering simply to the pictures. Liar.

Of course. That doesn't mean we believe you.
"We"? LOL, you mean you!

But keep it going. I'll reply debunking your posts the same.
You mean, lying about your intentions.

Again, why do you keep replying, when your intentions were clear and honest?

Heh, this is too easy.

Kr0nos
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2006, 09:20 AM

But are these great atrocities? NO. These aren't even as bad as Frat initiations.
QED.

Thanks, and good night.

Kevin
Baninated
Sep 18, 2006, 09:30 AM

WRONG. You were comparing the two. In no way were you reffering simply to the pictures. Liar.
The original frat statement I made. Posted RIGHT AFTER bleuvixen posted said pictures
http://forums.macnn.com/95/political...us-abuse-seems
Originally Posted by Zimphire
Looks like a frat initiation to me.
Tell me Kronos, what was I looking at if it wasn't the pictures?

AGAIN I know what I was referring to. You attempting to tell the class you know better than I do is not only highly pretentious. But very obnoxious as well.
"We"? LOL, you mean you!
No, I mean WE, as in you aren't just talking to me. As in I am not the only one reading your posts. (well I could be the only one, so you may be right there...)
You mean, lying about your intentions.

Again, why do you keep replying, when your intentions were clear and honest?

Heh, this is too easy.
Projecting and dishonesty is easy Kron. Again why did I say those responsible should be punished?

You ignored that part.
QED.

Thanks, and good night.
Said after said pictures were taken.. Again Kronos being dishonest by taking things out of context.

Tsk tsk

Sayf-Allah
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 18, 2006, 09:35 AM

Any chance you guys could continue your bickering through pm?

"Learn to swim"

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 18, 2006, 09:48 AM

The Quran clearly sees judaism and christianity and islam as equally able to lead to salvation, everyone of these religions has the same opportunity to reach paradise and to escape hell, depending on the good deeds, the repentance felt in this life, the strenght of the faith, the truthfulness, the righteousness, the mercifulness, the justice-fulness (probably wrong word)...
That sounds great Taliesin. Could you cite some sources so that we'll know where to point the less moderate members of your faith on such issues? If you don't think it's appropriate for this thread, you can PM instead.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Kr0nos
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2006, 09:57 AM

Said after said pictures were taken.. Again Kronos being dishonest by taking things out of context.
What's there to be taken out of context? You again were comparing the two. Even denied that the sh1t that went down at AG was an atrocity. Not even as bad as a "frat initiations".

If that isn't isn't DOWNPLAYING the crimes commited by your ilk, I don't know what is.

Oh wait, you were only comparing the pictures!!!!11! WTF! LOOOOOOOOL

Kr0nos
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2006, 09:58 AM

Any chance you guys could continue your bickering through pm?
Maybe you could weigh in the discussion...

Oh wait, you don't care, right.

Kevin
Baninated
Sep 18, 2006, 10:04 AM

What's there to be taken out of context? You again were comparing the two.
Because I was calling those pictures such a thing. And they were comparable.
Even denied that the sh1t that went down at AG was an atrocity. Not even as bad as a "frat initiations".
The said pictures indeed. I said they weren't as bad is the left were exaggerating. And they weren't.

That doesn't mean I didn't think wrong doing was done. There was! And those responsible should be punished for such things.
If that isn't isn't DOWNPLAYING the crimes commited by your ilk, I don't know what is.
Not downplaying. Being honest. Not exaggerating like you are doing.

You also claimed people said the same about abortion clinic attacks. I have yet seen any Christian say those didn't happen, or were somehow justified.

Which you were also wrong about.

Kr0nos
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2006, 10:10 AM

Because I was calling those pictures such a thing. And they were comparable.
Errr, no. That's just my point.

Calling what went on at AG an atrocity and a crime isn't being a "drama queen".

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Sep 18, 2006, 10:43 AM

For one thing, this posts was posted in dishonesty. I have NEVER said the Holy Spirit visits me on a regular basis. Stop making things up.

I think a knife would be better. Cause it seems all you are doing is spreading the crap on thicker.

Cutting through the crap isn't making up more lies like you just did above.
I do recall posts you made where you said you engaged in discussions with God. You heard his voice and replied and had conversations with Him.

Oh yes. I remember that! Good times

V

Kevin
Baninated
Sep 18, 2006, 10:45 AM

Errr, no. That's just my point.

Calling what went on at AG an atrocity and a crime isn't being a "drama queen".
Usually such words are used in relations to murder or killing

An atrocity can be a single specific event, or a series of events, or can refer to genocide. The defining characteristic of an atrocity is its brutal or systematic nature. It is an act of killing that is in violation of most traditional moral principles, although some societies do not condemn such behavior.

We simply disagree on the exaggerated part.

No one denied these things happened Kron. I don't recall anyone also saying that people shouldn't be punished for such things.

I just disagreed on the exaggeration of it all. Esp when people bring it up whenever actual atrocities like the beheadings that went on.

Kevin
Baninated
Sep 18, 2006, 10:47 AM

I do recall posts you made where you said you engaged in discussions with God. You heard his voice and replied and had conversations with Him.

Oh yes. I remember that! Good times

V
No, no I did not. But humor me voodoo. If I said such a thing, surely you'd be able to show me were I said it no? So you'll have no problem responding to this post with said quote of me saying such a thing.

I'll keep reminding you just in case you forget.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Sep 18, 2006, 10:51 AM

No, no I did not.
Yes you did. That was the first time I called you a heretic. How can I forget

V

Kevin
Baninated
Sep 18, 2006, 10:54 AM

Yes you did.
So no quote? Didn't think so.
That was the first time I called you a heretic. How can I forget
If it's so clear in your memory, you'll be able to find the quote no?

And no, you called me such a thing simply cause I was not Catholic. I think we all remember that thread.

Kr0nos
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2006, 10:58 AM

Usually such words are used in relations to murder or killing

An atrocity can be a single specific event, or a series of events, or can refer to genocide. The defining characteristic of an atrocity is its brutal or systematic nature. It is an act of killing that is in violation of most traditional moral principles, although some societies do not condemn such behavior.
Beyond your retarded word mincing, your quote proves my point to a T. Thank you.

/please don't deny that people were killed at AG

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Sep 18, 2006, 11:01 AM

you called me such a thing simply cause I was not Catholic
Aww. You don't understand a thing.

No, I called you a heretic because you misrepresent Christianity in a sometimes revolting way.

V

DBursey
Professional Poster
Sep 18, 2006, 11:04 AM

Would that I could wield with moderator might, and take this cat fight from our sight!

Why don't you sweethearts get a room?

Kevin
Baninated
Sep 18, 2006, 11:05 AM

Beyond your retarded word mincing
Grow up
your quote proves my point to a T. Thank you.
Actually it doesn't. It's a slight exaggeration. We simply disagree. Regardless your claims about me were false.
Aww. You don't understand a thing.
Pretentiously condescending. Grow up.
No, I called you a heretic because you misrepresent Christianity in a sometimes revolting way.
How ironic.

Still no quote voodoo? What do you think you are doing by making unfactual statements about me?

Kr0nos
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2006, 11:11 AM

Actually it doesn't. It's a slight exaggeration. We simply disagree. Regardless your claims about me were false.
LOL. No they weren't. You did indeed (tried to) downplay the impact of AG by comapring it to frat rituals (unless you would call those atrocities and crimes against huamnity as well).

Furthermore, you lied about the intent of your post.

Kevin
Baninated
Sep 18, 2006, 11:18 AM

LOL. No they weren't. You did indeed (tried to) downplay the impact of AG by comapring it to frat rituals (unless you would call those atrocities and crimes against huamnity as well).
No, I attempted to make those actions more realistic and less exaggerated as people like you tend to make them.

If I was down playing it, I would have said "No one did anything wrong, jeesh"

But instead I said WRONG WAS done, and people SHOULD be PUNISHED for it.

Me saying that simply doesn't jive with your accusations. Sorry.
Furthermore, you lied about the intent of your post.
Something you keep saying, but have yet to prove. (As if you know my intentions better than I, silly)

I assure you, no lying was going on.

How many posts have you made on this now Kron? And you ARE STILL on square one.

Kr0nos
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2006, 11:36 AM

No, I attempted to make those actions more realistic and less exaggerated as people like you tend to make them.

See, that's what you don't understand. Nobody exxaggerated anything.

Because the bottom line is, – prison torture and murder is a hell of a lot worse than a college ritual and certainly does qualify as an atrocity. As a matter of fact, it's just as bad a slitting somebody's throat in front of a camera.

How many posts have you made on this now Kron? And you ARE STILL on square one.
LOL. No actually the discussion was over after my first post, and you lost the argument. Simple as that.

Sayf-Allah
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 18, 2006, 11:41 AM

No, no I did not. But humor me voodoo. If I said such a thing, surely you'd be able to show me were I said it no? So you'll have no problem responding to this post with said quote of me saying such a thing.

I'll keep reminding you just in case you forget.
http://forums.macnn.com/85/macnn-lou...2/#post1247572

Originally Posted by Zimphire
Because the Holy Spirit told me so.
Spin away.

"Learn to swim"

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 18, 2006, 11:45 AM

Since you don't live in America, you wouldn't realize that people often say, "the holy spirit told me so" in jest. I don't think that comment was meant seriously.

Btw, Sayf, I didn't know you are a convert to Islam. That's interesting. Were you affiliated with a religion previous to that time?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Sep 18, 2006, 11:46 AM

Still no quote voodoo? What do you think you are doing by making unfactual statements about me?
Because the Holy Spirit told me so.

Have you ever been under the influence of the Holy Spirit? Have you ever spoke in tongues? Pretty clear to me.
I am sorry to see the poor mental state of you Zimphire. Yor descriptions of your experiences with the holy spirit sound delusional. As well as your (intentional?) misinterpretation of the Bible. You are the Satan you have been describing. The bringer of half truths, the mocker of God, the loser of eternety. That is Satan.
Dang how does that crow taste Kevin? Would'ya like some salt with that?

I actually didn't use the word there.. but here's to correct that once and for all: you're a heretic Zimphire.

Done

V

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 18, 2006, 12:17 PM

Eating crow...what a phrase.

What is the origin of "to eat crow"? "eat boiled crow"? "Crow McGee"?

(Folklore/proverbial expressions)

The origin of "to eat crow" is ultimately unknown. Almost all authorities cite an incident that took place during a truce in the war of 1812. The story goes that an unarmed British officer encountered an American hunter near the Niagra River, gained control of his musket and thereby forced him to eat the crow he had just shot. The American complied, but when his musket was returned, forced the British officer to do the same.

The first recorded "in context" citation (where "eating crow" is associated with humiliation) occurred 1877, where it is "to eat boiled crow".

"Crow McGee", meaning the opposite of the "real McCoy", did not appear until the 20th century and its relationship to "eating crow" cannot be established.
Actually, I also heard that American settlers to the west were traversing the great plains and in some areas there was absolutely no game to find because the prairie grass was so thick and tall. Once in a while they would come to a creek or river and cottonwood trees grew along the land near the water and they would see crows and blackbirds there, so they would shoot them and eat them stewed for supper.

Eating crow undoubtedly saved their lives so maybe eating some crow is not so bad.

Sky Captain
Mac Elite
Location: Second star to the right, and straight on till morning
Sep 18, 2006, 12:24 PM

But to some of us, the crow and raven are sacred, a totem.
All men are created equal, but what they do after that point puts them on a sliding scale.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 18, 2006, 01:07 PM

Any chance you guys could take your bickering elsewhere? There are people that want to discuss the topic, not yet another petty personality conflict. And although the first sentence in this post is phrased as a question, I'll point out for those that don't understand what is implied, this thread will be locked if you guys don't take your squable out of the public arena. There have been more than enough complaints asking that this thread be brought back on topic by people that actually want to discuss the issue.
Nemo me impune lacesset

Forum Links
Forum Rules