Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Adding Macs to NT Networks

Adding Macs to NT Networks
rayray
Jun 11, 1999, 01:58 PM

We're trying to add a Mac 7100 System 7.5 to a Wintel-based network. How do we get the mac to recognize the server?

Clemens
Jun 16, 1999, 04:41 AM

I'm not sure about the system compatibility with such an old and outdated system as 7.5 but you're either gonna need to install "NT Services for Macintosh" on the NT Servers or install Dave from Thursby Software (www.thursby.com) on the Mac. Dave works with TCP/IP on the Mac side and makes the servers accessible via the chooser. NT Services for the Mac teaches NT servers Apple Talk (I think). NT Services for Macintosh is included with the NT Server Software but most IS departments don't install it. I would recommend Dave, because it limits(in a simple installation) the dependency on the IS departments network administrators. I just use Dave because I have to work in a very Mac-hostile environment. If your NT network is complex , uses proxies and/or firewalls, a whole lot of routers etc. then it would probably be easier to go with the NT services for Mac.

Mafoo
Jun 18, 1999, 04:46 AM

Try Dave 2.1, it is very good. I know because we use it at school and it doesn't hassle the Administrator.

tedk
Jun 24, 1999, 03:21 AM

You can try MacServerIP from CyanSoft (www.cyansoft.de). You can download a demo version and try it for 30 days.

Bernie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 24, 1999, 07:04 AM

Have a look at http://www.macwindows.com/

hunter1234
Jun 29, 1999, 11:38 AM

Does anyone know of other AFP over IP products for Windows NT servers, besides MacServerIP? Please reply here, or email me directly. Thanks!

crobben
Jul 2, 1999, 11:18 AM

HybinetteIP is a file server for Macintosh clients running on Windows NT (workstation and server versions: 3.51, 4.0 and 5.0; Intel and Alpha platform) using the AppleShare and AppleShare IP (AFP / AFP-over-TCP/IP) standard. They have a web site at http://www.hybinette.com where you can download a demo. I tried the demo on my NT Workstation and it works great, both for IP and AppleTalk. It seems to have caused no problems on NT.

tedk
Jul 5, 1999, 02:00 AM

HybinetteIP is US branded MacServerIP.

Forum Links
Forum Rules