Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Subversion and textmate

Subversion and textmate
shinji
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 1, 2007, 06:16 PM

Normally when I have to edit something remotely I just use Transmit, open in textmate, and then Textmate's ctrl+shift+f to upload it after making my changes...the problem is I end up with a lot of files like index3_old_second_design.php etc. I only need a local copy of the changes I make to the file...can I use subversion for this, and is everything I need built into Textmate? Basically I just want to store a note of what I changed so it's easy for me to see what the differences between each version were and so I can go back if I need.

Or is textmate's support for subversion mainly just for getting new bundles or working with an already existing installation of svn?

shinji  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 4, 2007, 07:31 PM

Anyone?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 4, 2007, 07:37 PM

Sorry I missed this thread before...

Subversion sounds like exactly what you need. I've tried Textmate's Subversion support, but I didn't really like it. It only seemed to provide an interface for detecting changes to the file you have open. I wanted to do an "svn status" to detect changes with all files in my local repository, and an svn ci to commit all changes. I juggle back and forth between a number of open files when I'm developing, so it is a pain to have to do svn commits for each individual file like Textmate seems to want to do.

That being said, teh Subversion command line tools are really not that complicated once you get the hang of them. I rely on them literally all day. Let us know if you have any particular questions about Subversion....

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Nov 4, 2007, 09:05 PM

Hey Besson,
A slightly offtopic question.

How do you like TextMate? I'm debating between that one a some others but I keep coming back to textmate. Any thoughts on that product?

shinji  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 4, 2007, 11:31 PM

Leopard apparently comes with it...but it lets me use svnadmin create even if Apache is turned off. Can I only access a local repository while Apache is running?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 5, 2007, 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by MacosNerd View Post
Hey Besson,
A slightly offtopic question.

How do you like TextMate? I'm debating between that one a some others but I keep coming back to textmate. Any thoughts on that product?

It is a tool designed for developers, not graphic designers, so first and foremost if you are a Dreamweaver junkie or are looking for some point and clicky WYSIWYG app, don't bother with Textmate. If you are looking for a nice editor to get down and dirty in just about any language, Textmate is awesome.

Honestly, a lot of great developers are also into using emacs, so emacs is another tool worth looking at if you don't mind the learning curve. OS X as a whole respects many of the emacs key bindings (e.g. control A, control E), so it blends in nicely... Someday I might just buy me an emacs book and dig in.

shinji  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 5, 2007, 01:02 AM

Got it all setup though still getting the hang of how Textmate deals with it.

Followed this tutorial Subversion With Mac OS X Tutorial

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 5, 2007, 01:06 AM

If you find a way to have it check in and/or examine multiple pages, let me know. I suppose that setting up Projects might allow you to do this, but I've never really gotten into working with Projects - I prefer to have each file in its own window.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Nov 5, 2007, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Honestly, a lot of great developers are also into using emacs, so emacs is another tool worth looking at if you don't mind the learning curve. OS X as a whole respects many of the emacs key bindings (e.g. control A, control E), so it blends in nicely... Someday I might just buy me an emacs book and dig in.
Thanks, I never got the hang of emacs nor do I really want to take on the learning curve. While I do use DW, I find the need to use a text editor once in a while.

Forum Links
Forum Rules