Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > OS 9

OS 9
GrizKen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 11, 2000, 08:16 PM

I have a G4 450 with OS 8.6. I have an HP 4+ printer, a Epson 600 printer, and an Epson 1200U scanner. With all the ado about crashes and bugs, is it really worthwhile to install OS 9?

I do a lot of Photoshop, Pagemaker, and Director work (I teach those i high school) and can't afford to spend a lot of down time trying to fix bugs. Is OS 9 worth it?
Hal was a IIe.

CyberGreg
Mac Enthusiast
May 12, 2000, 07:30 AM

GrizKen,

While there are many (supposed) improvements with OS 9 as you pointed out you've heard the horror stories. There was a previous post where quite a few people actually said they were using 9.04 without any problems. Be that as it may...

There are two major changes that could effect you if you upgrade to OS 9 (IMHO):

1. Control Panel's use a different memory space in OS 9 and this causes some problems with some third party applications. The Microsoft Office Manger is one that I know about, but since you didn't list any MS products... There is also some key combination to "get" around this... but I don't recall it. Oh yeah After Dark causes problems with OS 9 and Berkley is NOT going to update the program.
2. Resources in OS 9 (finder) now allows more resources for open Windows and files, this may actually help you.

My suggestion is to stay with OS 8.6, unless there are some features in OS 9 that you just can't live without.

PS Have you installed "Jerry's finder patch" for 8.6? If not, go for it, this will actually give more memory to finder and improve 8.6.

Good Luck,
Perhaps someone will post that is running the same applications that you are with OS 9.

------------------
PC's are popular... MAC's Rule!

[This message has been edited by CyberGreg (edited 05-12-2000).]
Mac's Rule!

13.3" 1.83 MacBook, 2GB, 120GB
13.3" 1.83 MacBook, 2GB, 80GB
Mac Mini PVR, 1.66Ghz w/2GB, eyeTV 2.0, 100GB HD and 50" DLP
Mac Mini, 1.83Ghz (before Apple released one) w/2GB, 80GB HD and 20" LCD

shorton
May 12, 2000, 12:16 PM

I have found that OS 9.04 has been very stable. The only issues for me have been related to multiple users and since PowerOn Software finally upgraded On Guard for OS 9, I'm quite happy with Mac OS9 in a multiple user, lotsa, lotsa, apps environment.

good luck.
SH

YongHeun
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 12, 2000, 07:30 PM

I am using the new fire-wire G3 powerbook. As you pointed out, the MS office manager does not work under the OS 9, even though the Microsoft do not mention this problem. But the problem for me is that only the OS 9 supports this new powerbook system. There is no way for me to escape from the OS 9.

Fredo
Senior User
May 13, 2000, 03:04 PM

GrizKen,
I have an iMac DVSE with 256 MB RAM, running OS9.0.4. HP 970cse printer, Epson 1200u scanner, iSub, floppy drive, weecam,etc and absolutely no problems. If you go to OS9, make sure you upgrade to 9.0.4, update Hp software , and update adobe software for your 1200. It'll be worth the effort.
Who are the Brain Police?

Forum Links
Forum Rules