Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > L2 Processor Upgrades and motherboard burnout?

L2 Processor Upgrades and motherboard burnout?
Chad619
May 8, 2000, 11:50 AM

Question: What detrimental effects if any will result from placing a L2 G3 Cache type upgrade into a PowerMac 4400 or StarMax 5500 type system? Seeing how the onboard cache already runs at 120 MHz, what will the faster chipset (up to 200 MHz) do to the computer?

Will there be any premature burnout or any other motherboard damaging instances on the motherboard?

Or is this just paranoia?

Misha
Professional Poster
May 8, 2000, 11:59 AM

Paranoia

I've ran L2 upgrades for nearly a year without a hitch, as have many others. You can also expect that the manufacturers have done extensive testing.

If you have any doubt, buy a card from Sonnet; their's carry a 3-year warranty. By the time that expires we'll be up to 512 MB of RAM standard, 100 GB HDs, and Mac OS XXX (ooo...), so you won't carry about that Mac anyway.

[This message has been edited by Misha (edited 05-08-2000).]

wlonh
Professional Poster
May 8, 2000, 12:22 PM

i will second that Sonnet recommendation... my sis has one, two of my nephews do as well.

they perform flawlessly

Power Macintosh G5
May 10, 2000, 10:35 PM

I would recommend the Newer Technology G3 upgrade. This has been working perfect since I bought it and they have excellent technical support.

harveye
May 22, 2000, 01:00 AM

I have a Sonnet G3 in my PM 4400 and it works great. No installation problems or running any of my software. Highly recommended.

park74
May 25, 2000, 04:00 PM

I have a Sonnet L2 G3 300 in my 6500 and I have never had any problems with it. The 6500 case has a much smaller enclosure for the motherboard and so I would think worse circulation and be more prone to problems. If you are really worried about it...get a big fan and put it on the heatsink. I would suggest a giant squirrel cage type of fan...pertend like you've got a pentium!

Forum Links
Forum Rules