Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Taking apart 12" powerbook

Taking apart 12" powerbook
PismoLover
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 6, 2004, 10:44 PM

I'm trying to take apart a 12" rev b to replace the hard disk. I am having trouble

I am following the translation on this page (bablefish translation). But it seems that the keyboard is anchored ata point between the F5 and F6 keys. It looks like that's the green light for num lock but its connecting the keyboard to the surface below it and I'm afraid to pry it up. Does anyone have any ideas?

Here is a picture of it:

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 6, 2004, 10:54 PM

no, it's anchored around the esc f1 f2 and f11 f12 eject area.

Others can be more precise than that, those are the general areas.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

waffffffle
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2004, 02:59 AM

I removed those two screws but I can't pull up the keyboard because it is also anchored in the middle somewhere. It appears that it is anchored at the point shown.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jun 7, 2004, 05:39 AM

Well since I don't have any great advice except keep searching google, is there any chance that you can make it to a local apple store. They won't put the drive in but I think (hope) someone there knows how to open it. On that note why not just call apple tech support, worth a shot.

McFarmer
Jun 7, 2004, 06:08 AM

Did you try downloading the service manual for your 12" PowerBook from this link?

Perhaps it has some helpful info.

TonTaub
Forum Regular
Location: Sitting in a Viennese Cafe and drinking my Melange.
Jun 7, 2004, 06:23 AM

Maybe this is of any help: http://home.earthlink.net/~strahm_s/manuals.html

HTH, Michael.

EDIT: Obviously I'm blind ... didn't see it was already posted. :-|
( Last edited by TonTaub; Jun 7, 2004 at 07:04 AM. )
May 19th 2004: Switching Day! ( AlBook.G4/1,5GHz/768MB/80GB.5400rpm/128MB.VRAM/Superdrive/10.3.9 )
ok, that is history! :-)

McFarmer
Jun 7, 2004, 06:46 AM

...to add to my former post:

If you download the service manual and have a look at the 'Take Apart' / 'Keyboard' section you will see that you must remove the memory first, because there's a long screw that goes all the way up to the keyboard.

I suspect that this is the one thing you're missing. That 14mm screw from the other side will hold the keyboard down as well.

h00ligan
Forum Regular
Jun 8, 2004, 01:01 AM

yah and don' forget the 3 screws around the battery on the side.. but the long screw is what is holding it in mainly.
-= H00ligan =-

1.33 GHz 12" | 60 gig 7200 rpm drive | 1.25 Gigs of ram
amd 64 3000+ eMachines m6805 (arima lappy) | 60 gig | 512 megs | almost 3400 3dMark03 and it was only $1250 :)

hooverzilla
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 29, 2004, 10:21 PM

I'm installing a new hardrive in my 12" powerbook and I'm stuck at the last step before being able to take the top off. I've unscrewed the 3 screws in the battery compartment and unclipped the 2 platics things as well but how do I unclip the other 2 on the left side ?

Thx

Forum Links
Forum Rules