Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > let's talk about security

let's talk about security
h00ligan
Forum Regular
Aug 28, 2004, 12:31 PM

Filevault -

If the password is reset on your system (boot from cd and reset, single user, whatever, and filevault is enabled - do you then have to enter the master password to reencrypt with a new key for the new password? Where are the keys stored? I accept that the AES they are using is pretty secure, at least for the time being - but that does no good if the password can be compromised.

General OS - where are the password files stored? How are they stored - what algorithm?

Built in firewall - adequate or not?

Anyone ever used secure-tunnel.com. How's the speed?

There is no particular reason I bring these up, other then owning a powerbook and wanting to ensure that if lost/stolen/compromised the data in my home directory cannot be recovered sans an electron microscope or a few years in the DoD labs.

Do you feel that OS X accomplishes that task?
-= H00ligan =-

1.33 GHz 12" | 60 gig 7200 rpm drive | 1.25 Gigs of ram
amd 64 3000+ eMachines m6805 (arima lappy) | 60 gig | 512 megs | almost 3400 3dMark03 and it was only $1250 :)

Forum Links
Forum Rules