Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Aluminum iMac graphics firmware update along with 10.5.1 update

Aluminum iMac graphics firmware update along with 10.5.1 update
striker100
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 15, 2007, 04:30 PM

I just checked and there is an Aluminum iMac graphics firmware update in addition to Leopards 10.5.1 update.

pk1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 15, 2007, 05:22 PM

Yes this is fresh. Ars says it does really fix the freezeing issue.

iMac Graphics Firmware Update 1.0 fixes freezing problem. Really.

Let's hope it does!

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Nov 15, 2007, 07:03 PM

Bigger question: why after every update that a restart is required, does my 24" stay on the spinning clock hands thingy? Long enough that I get tired of waiting so I force it to shut down.

pk1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 15, 2007, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Gankdawg View Post
Bigger question: why after every update that a restart is required, does my 24" stay on the spinning clock hands thingy? Long enough that I get tired of waiting so I force it to shut down.
As far as I know, when the update ask you to restart, it means that something needs to be updated on a fresh boot, so the system restarts and then applies the changes that need to be done. This takes some time, but not exceedingly much time. How fast do you come to the point that you're tired of waiting and you shut down? One minute? 5 minutes? It usually doesn't take more than a minute...

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Nov 15, 2007, 07:26 PM

More than a minute, sometimes 5 minutes. I don't make to 5 minutes very often due to impatience. I should clarify that it happens on other restarts too. I restart the iMac all the time because I play games in Windows via Bootcamp.

dowNNshift
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 15, 2007, 08:05 PM

Keep in mind that when the sprockets are spinning during the boot immediately following a major update, that Unix directory changes are happening.

If the extended time in the kernel portion persists, once booted repair your permissions using Disk Utility. Often the longer the time spent in the kernel portion of the boot sequence means directory damage is trying to "self heal" by means of a self imposed fdsk scan.

Basically, be patient with it and let it do its thing.

pk1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 15, 2007, 08:11 PM

Yes I agree. Be patient and let it spin.

But we got off topic. Did this update fix the freezing issue?

NickelLessNick
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 16, 2007, 03:17 AM

I'm an iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz aluminum owner: had regular freezes, been waiting on the "cure" ... I have everything relative to requirements needed for this update. I downloaded it and the installer says I don't need it! WTF. I solved the problem on my own with what I considered a stopgap solution: the smcFanControl app., and that has ended the freezes (so far), and I though that this would do until Apple's firmware update would come. Oh well ...
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo Extreme; 4 Gb RAM
OS X (10.5.6); Grado SR 60 & RS1 headphones; HeadRoom headphone amp w/ Astrodyne power supply

analogika
Posting Junkie
Nov 16, 2007, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by NickelLessNick View Post
I'm an iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz aluminum owner: had regular freezes, been waiting on the "cure" ... I have everything relative to requirements needed for this update. I downloaded it and the installer says I don't need it! WTF. I solved the problem on my own with what I considered a stopgap solution: the smcFanControl app., and that has ended the freezes (so far), and I though that this would do until Apple's firmware update would come. Oh well ...
Did you download via Software Update, or via the Apple home page?

because it requires iMac software update 1.2.1 (under Tiger) or 1.3 (under Leopard). If you just downloaded the update off Apple's site, you might be missing those prerequisite updates.

NickelLessNick
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 16, 2007, 01:25 PM

It never showed up in the SU; I went to Apple's site; I have 1.3 (under leopard). These are my updates, so far:
11/15/07 Mac OS X Update 10.5.1
11/15/07 iPhoto Update 7.1.1
11/5/07 iTunes Update 7.5
11/5/07 Quicktime 7.3
11/2/07 iMac Software Update 1.3
OS X (10.5.6); Grado SR 60 & RS1 headphones; HeadRoom headphone amp w/ Astrodyne power supply

Etnier
Forum Regular
Nov 16, 2007, 03:03 PM

I just moved my 2.8GHz 24" iMac (Model Identifier: iMac7,1) from Leopard to 10.4.1. InstallediMac software update 1.2.1 and then tried to install the graphics firmware update but it won't install. Says it's not needed. This iMac has never 'frozen' FWIW.

pk1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 16, 2007, 03:07 PM

From the update's page at Apple:

"Not every 20-inch and 24-inch aluminum iMac computer requires this update. If you are not automatically presented with this update, your computer does not need it."

About iMac Graphics Firmware Update 1.0

NickelLessNick
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 16, 2007, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by pk1 View Post
From the update's page at Apple:

"Not every 20-inch and 24-inch aluminum iMac computer requires this update. If you are not automatically presented with this update, your computer does not need it."

About iMac Graphics Firmware Update 1.0
However, mine HAS had freezing issues ...

Big Slick
Nov 16, 2007, 06:48 PM

I do believe the latest update fixed the problem on my 24" 2.8 aluminum iMac. Only took Apple 3 months! Better late than never!
"Good things come to those who wait, but not to those who wait too late"

Forum Links
Forum Rules