Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Target DIsk Mode with a blank HD

Target DIsk Mode with a blank HD
mattcass
Jan 3, 2008, 03:43 PM

I'm about to install a new HD in my Powerbook. For various reasons, I want to use my Powerbook in target disk mode to clone data to the new drive.

Once the new drive is installed and I want to clone data to it, will I be able to put the blank HD in target disk mode without OS X installed? Or will I have to install OS X before I can put the new disk in Target Disk Mode?

If OS X is installed, and I overwrite it with cloned data, will that disrupt the target disk mode?

Of course all of this could be avoided if anyone knew where I could find a 2.5" firewire ATA-100 external enclosure. But that's for another forum.

Thanks!

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 3, 2008, 04:09 PM

Target Disk Mode is a function of the firmware, so that should work.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 3, 2008, 10:01 PM

FireWire Enclosure Kits at OtherWorldComputing.com They have everything you need at very decent prices.

(No affiliation whatsoever with OWC, except as a happy customer).

mattcass  (op)
Jan 4, 2008, 02:12 AM

Thanks Chuck, I'll give it a shot.

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Jan 4, 2008, 02:26 AM

If you're using Leopard, you can let Time Machine back up your drive, pop the new hard drive into your PowerBook, boot off the Leopard DVD, and then do a full restore of the latest backup onto your new, blank drive.

That's exactly what I did when I upgraded the hard drive in my MacBook Pro.

badtz
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2008, 02:50 PM

I thought starting up a machine in target disk mode requires a pre-existing OS X installed on the HD?

Can you target disk mode an NTFS partition that's stuck into a Mac?

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Jan 5, 2008, 03:13 PM

No, TDM is a function of the firmware. The disk can be blank or even non-existent. Obviously, if the disk is gone, nothing will appear on the other Mac but the target Mac will still enter TDM.

It also doesn't matter what format the the disk is either. Obviously, you'll only be able to read an NTFS partition on the other Mac unless you have 3rd party software.
Vandelay Industries

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2008, 02:23 AM

Target Disk Mode turns your entire Mac into a Firewire "enclosure". The hard disk inside your Mac is then read from/written to as a raw block device, so it is at the mercy and control of the OS mounting it (whatever you plug your Mac into).

Forum Links
Forum Rules