Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Scratch on MacBook Cover HELP!

Scratch on MacBook Cover HELP!
JMartins21
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 21, 2006, 10:10 PM

First time poster here and Well I have a scratch on the cover of my black macbook or at least I think it is a scratch, it is like the matte finish and where the scratch it is a completly different black like a shiny black, I need an opinion i have apple care, and i wanted to know that if i went to the genious bar at my local apple store and said that it seems that the matte finish seems to be flaking off if i could get the entire case replaced or even a new MB, it is pretty big and i seem to look at it every time and it is quite depressing, any views and related stories will be helpful here are some pics

another problem, on anyone elses macbook is your battery latch sort of crooked, like the latch that i use the coin for is not level it is higher on one side and lower on the other sort of like this / does anyone else have this problem and how could i fix this

thank you very much for everyones help

If the links did not work try this

Flickr: Photos from celticsroc88

JMartins21  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 21, 2006, 10:12 PM

Yeah the images did not work so just click the link at the end.
Thanks

wilsonng
Senior User
Oct 21, 2006, 11:24 PM

i highly doubt that you will get a brand new MacBook due to a cosmetic defect.... they may elect to replace the cover but even that is an iffy.... Apple will replace a MacBook if it has serious operational defects but not for cosmetic reasons.

A Do-It-Yourself project would be to go to your local hardware store and get some contact paper. My mom uses this stuff to cover her kitchen countertop and changes it when she gets bored of it.... You can get a roll of this and cut it down to size with a razor blade. Than put it over the cover.

Another option is to go check out the Decal Girl website for some laptop skins....

Laptop Skins @ DecalGirl.com

Decorate your MacBook with either a solid plain color or one of many different designs...
You can bend my ear. We can talk all day. Just make sure I'm around
When you've finally got something to say. -- TOAD THE WET SPROCKET

Frugle
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 21, 2006, 11:41 PM

I don't think it is possible for the mat finish to flake off.. .expecially in that pattern..

plus, that would be disshonest.. if you scratched it on something, you can't expect apple to replace it for you.

about the battery latch, the macbooks I've used haven't had that problem.. is this making it sit weird on a flat surface? or is it just weird looking?
15" MacBook Pro | 2.16GHz | 2GB DDR2 | 100GB 5400 rpm | 256MB X1600

hadocon
Mac Elite
Oct 22, 2006, 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by JMartins21 View Post
First time poster here and Well I have a scratch on the cover of my black macbook or at least I think it is a scratch, it is like the matte finish and where the scratch it is a completly different black like a shiny black, I need an opinion i have apple care, and i wanted to know that if i went to the genious bar at my local apple store and said that it seems that the matte finish seems to be flaking off if i could get the entire case replaced or even a new MB, it is pretty big and i seem to look at it every time and it is quite depressing, any views and related stories will be helpful here are some pics

another problem, on anyone elses macbook is your battery latch sort of crooked, like the latch that i use the coin for is not level it is higher on one side and lower on the other sort of like this / does anyone else have this problem and how could i fix this

thank you very much for everyones help

If the links did not work try this

Flickr: Photos from celticsroc88
Suck it up and get a life.
20+ year MacNN forum member. MacBook Air 11" 1.6Ghz 4GB 128GB Backlit Keyboard, 4S, iPad Mini

JMartins21  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 22, 2006, 01:55 AM

yeah i might just bring it in and see what they can do about it.... as far as the latch yeah it is just weird looking it is really popping out....

ps what do you guys reccomend to rid of the grease and grime marks from hands on the whole computer it self... cover keyboard track pad????

uicandrew
Senior User
Oct 22, 2006, 02:42 AM

unfortunately, black surfaces (like black cars) will show off scratches/scuff pretty easily. i honestly do not think the scuff will warrant replacement.

in terms of the battery, since i did not see a pic of it, i would recommend taking out the battery and putting it back in. move the battery around a bit inside the bay before using a nickel to "lock" it in. i thought my battery was fitting a bit tight. then i jiggled the battery for a bit before the fit was perfect. good luck.
Mac User since Summer 2005 (started with G4 mini bought from macnn forums!)

uicandrew
Senior User
Oct 22, 2006, 02:46 AM

to get rid of grease, fingerprints.... walmart eyeglasses cleaner $3 with free lifetime refills

MacDuff
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 22, 2006, 07:50 AM

For the grease marks on the wrist rests and tracking pad, clean it off as best you can and get yourself a Marware Protection Pad. It will protect both areas and comes in black so it'll look good with your black Macbook.

Do as wilsonng suggested and get a Decalgirl skin...that will cover the Macbook's top and you won't be staring at the scratch all the time. It'll also protect against further scratches.

You can even consider an Invisible Sheild from ShieldZone as that covers top and bottom as well as the wristrests and track pad. It's a clear film though so I would put it over a Decalgirl skin if you don't want to see the scratch.

I put an Invisible Shield on my white Macbook and a Marware Protection Pack over that. It's not necessary to have both but I like the leather feel of the Marware pack.

Elektrix
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 23, 2006, 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by MacDuff View Post
For the grease marks on the wrist rests and tracking pad, clean it off as best you can and get yourself a Marware Protection Pad. It will protect both areas and comes in black so it'll look good with your black Macbook.

Do as wilsonng suggested and get a Decalgirl skin...that will cover the Macbook's top and you won't be staring at the scratch all the time. It'll also protect against further scratches.

You can even consider an Invisible Sheild from ShieldZone as that covers top and bottom as well as the wristrests and track pad. It's a clear film though so I would put it over a Decalgirl skin if you don't want to see the scratch.

I put an Invisible Shield on my white Macbook and a Marware Protection Pack over that. It's not necessary to have both but I like the leather feel of the Marware pack.
You mentioned the Marware protection pack protecting both the writst rests and tracking pad. Are you sure about this? I got the white version for my white MacBook, and that one is only designed to protect the wrist wrests (unless I missed it, it doesn't have anything that protects the trackpad itself).

MacDuff
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 23, 2006, 02:46 AM

My mistake, sorry! It does not protect the trackpad, the Invisible shield does that. The Marware Protection pack, as you say, only prtects the wrist rests.

buddy1065
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 23, 2006, 08:49 AM

I was in an Apple store yesterday. The display Macbook trackpads and certain areas of the keys looked a bit shiney from wear, but nothing to get upset about in my opinion. They were running a lot cooler than the MBP's. I would definitely buy one if it ever gets an upgraded graphics chip. I like the look even better than the MBP; both are the best looking laptops on the planet; the evidence being when I see a commercial on TV that has a person using a laptop it is usually a Powerbook/MBP aluminum model. So I can understand your pain with the scratch. But nothing lasts forever in this world. Good to know there are alternative solutions out there though.

kingpin1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 23, 2007, 01:26 PM

you should really think about getting some protection for the macbook if you are carrying it around. I got and Isis macbook cover from isiscovers.com. It is really nice and is made to fit the macbook. They come in a bunch of cool designs. Also they have macskins which is a sticker type thing that you can put on the top of your macbook. I bought the cityscape and it looks really good. It will save the top from scratches, and it peels off leaving no residue.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 23, 2007, 01:45 PM

The rubbery finish on the black MacBooks is not like the plastics used in IBM ThinkPads (which have a similar finish) - instead, it's an extremely thin layer adhered to regular solid plastic. It's likely that something in your backpack or whatever scratched off part of that coating.

It's a shame they didn't use better-engineered plastics in these things, for how much the upgrade to black costs. IIRC the white MacBooks are still just normal plastic.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

maclover192
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 6, 2008, 12:48 PM

You can always buy a skin to cover it. Companies like gelliskins, Isis Dei, and Macvatar all make skins to protect and cover the shell of the computer.

pcryan5
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 6, 2008, 05:02 PM

I travel a lot and simply decided my laptop will wear it's whacks, nicks and scratches with pride.

The keyboard latch I'd get checked.

Forum Links
Forum Rules