Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Highpoint 4320 EFI update for Mac Pro

Highpoint 4320 EFI update for Mac Pro
maximage
Sep 20, 2010, 03:17 AM

Hoping someone can help who may have the RocketRaid 4320 EFI firmware update stored on their hard drive.

Am absolutely disgusted at Highpoint and how they have treated me on this one. I purchased a 4320 to run my SSDs that I have mounted in a DX4 as well as attaching it to the normal drive sleds via the connector that usually attaches these to the motherboard. Bought the 4x SSDs and 4x Velociraptors plus DX4 mount plus Pro Cable 2 as well as the 4320 (all up around $2500 worth) due to their website (HighPoint-Support-Bios + Driver) which clearly states in the Mac section that there is an EFI download that enables compatibility and booting on the Mac Pro in 10.6. This is all clearly on THEIR website, not information on a 3rd party site.

Only once I purchased the card and assorted items and tried installing the linked software did it become apparent that the linked software is NOT an EFI firmware update but just a general driver update. It appears from discussion with them that this link USED to go to the correct firmware update, but has now been changed to simply point to the driver update, but they have NOT changed the description. Problem is that you can only discover this error once the card is purchased and installed and you try to use the linked software.

Now this is where it gets disgusting. I contacted Highpoint to ask for the firmware that THEY clearly state on their website is available, and has definitely existed in the past, as numerous people online have successfully installed it on their cards, only to be told they no longer support it and they have removed it. When I pointed out that their very own website STILL states that the card can be updated to run in the Mac Pro and lists the software as available, and that I had spent $2500 due to the information provided by their site, they did not do anything. They merely reiterated their point that they have removed the link and no longer supply the update. Their complete lack of care about the predicament they have placed me in, and money of mine that has been wasted, is appalling. I just cannot believe that they fail to see how this is entirely their fault, due to their own website, and why they are being so absolutely stubborn as to not take 30 seconds to track down a copy of the software that they themselves acknowledge exists, and simply email it to me!

I am absolutely appalled by their attitude that now sees me out $2500 COMPLETELY due to their misinformation, and they refuse to help me, even though they are ENTIRELY at fault. All they need to do is provide me with the firmware that they have already admitted exists.

So, hoping someone out there still has it saved on one of their machines. Or hoping Peggy Ho here on the forums responds, as I have tracked down the personal emails of some of the Highpoint staff and despite emailing them personally in addition to having gone through their normal so-called "support" area, they have refused to respond.

Please someone help by supplying the firmware! This is a company that is attempting to make inroads with the Mac community but if they keep this kind of attitude up, then I fear that may not happen. It is a real pity as it actually seems to be a pretty nice piece of hardware, just sad that their "support" can be so stubborn when it is so clearly their fault in the first place.

reader50
Administrator
Sep 20, 2010, 12:55 PM

I can't help you with the missing firmware file, but I did have a similar experience with Highpoint after buying a 2314 controller. Their site showed it worked in my G5 (in a speed benchmarks file) but it has an unresolved firmware/driver issue. Exchanges with their Support were very frustrating - they were polite, but unhelpful. They shot down each of my suggestions, while offering none. It became obvious they were just waiting for me to go away.

I eventually bought a Firmtek card based on the same Marvel chipset. Which not only doesn't have their issue, but is bootable, too. This being after Highpoint support told me a firmware update could not fix the issue.

So basically, they won. They got my money, and didn't support me. Hope you'll have a better outcome.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Sep 29, 2010, 11:49 AM

Save a copy or a screen shot of their webpage. Then start looking for legal recourse. File a complaint with the attorney general and/or Better Business Bureau. Maybe consult an attorney. Maybe small-claims court? Sounds like you might have some sort of case against them for deceptive marketing practices.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Sep 29, 2010, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Person Man View Post
Save a copy or a screen shot of their webpage. Then start looking for legal recourse.
This.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 29, 2010, 12:51 PM

Sue them small claims court, no lawyer is going to help you unless there's a lot of money in it.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2010, 12:17 AM

And contiue to dis them in venues like this one while avoiding simply ranting. Their loss of market share will be very significant.

ncsa
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 22, 2010, 06:34 AM

Hello

Did you sort this out with the RR4320 FW/EFI?

I have a RR4320 running with 10.6.4 - FW is v1.2.26.5 but I may have an EFI package which is based around v1.2.17.1.

Extract from readme:

Code:
1. Software Version ==================== BIOS Version: v1.1 Firmware Version: v1.2.17.19 SAS transport firmware version: 4.7.2.0 2. Files Listing ================= Readme.txt This file flashelf.exe Flash utility for DOS 4320ldr.blf Boot loader image 4320bios.blf xROM BIOS image 4320fw.blf Firmware image 4320sas.blf SAS transport firmware 4320fpga.blf FPGA firmware image
However there is an extra file not listed within this package - rr4320-efi.blf

I recall loading all these sometime back but do not remember exact outcome... as moved onto current release.

kdeda
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 29, 2011, 01:12 AM

Just saw this post.

I can email the EFI (RR4320-EFI-090617)
I love this card, working of a raid 0 volume, with 4 Intel X25-E SSD drives is amazing.
No issues what so ever.
Actually I'v had this card on a MacPro 2007 and than moved it into the new MacPro 2010.

Ua1Db0
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 13, 2012, 05:36 AM

Just saw this post as well.. You can download the EFI firmware for mac 32/64 bit architectures from RR4320-EFI-090617.zip

Cheers

Forum Links
Forum Rules