Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > iMac won't mount CD with all extensions off..

iMac won't mount CD with all extensions off..
Storyboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 29, 2000, 02:53 PM

Hey, there:

I hope someone can help me out. Suddenly I have encountered a few peoblems with my iMac DV SE, running OS 9.0.4...

1) I tried yesterday to install Virex, following their instructions to start-up with all extensions turned off. But with no extensions I can't get the install CD to mount from the slot-load drive...

2) Trying to connect to my ISP, I got a lot of static and some "inappropriate" audio signals coming through the internal speakers; this, along with the fact that my
machine always defaults to Internal Modem as the audio input source, sent me to the Sound Control Panel where on the Speaker Set-up screen, the slider controls for the individual channels were flickering rather wildly...I could work the sliders, but the crazy flickering remained...

3)I have suddenly become aware of hard disk noise; just a high pitched whine, which I know is somewhat normal, but in light of the other problems, I am a bit concerned...

So, that's about it. I have been very pleased with the iMac in general, until now.

Please let me know if you can help.

--Dan
Indeed, I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.

iMac Core2Duo 2.16GHz/3G RAM/250G HD OSX 10.6.6
Various Peripherals

Chris_G
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 29, 2000, 03:54 PM

I could be mistaken, but I was under the impression that the CD/DVD extension needed to be loaded to install anything from the CD-ROM drive. Don't really have any suggestions about the other two... unless #3 is really loud it probably isn't anything to worry about... perhaps just keep an eye (or ear) on it.

Cheers!
Chris

Don Foy
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 29, 2000, 09:49 PM

As for No. 1, if the CD is in the drive at startup, it should go ahead and load. but the best thing to do is go into extensions Manager and create a new set, turn all off and turn CD/DVD extension on. That way when you have an install to do, you can just go to that set and get to installing.

On No. 2 - Are you by chance using an older version of Kaleidoscope. The current version is 2.2.4. At least one older version exhibited something similar to what you are describing.

What Chris said about No. 2

Storyboy  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 29, 2000, 11:29 PM

Thanks for the help.

I took your suggestions and created a CD/DVD Driver Only extension set...Installation went well, except for the fact that I crashed at start-up until I disabled the Virex Control Panel.

Do you think renaming the CP so that it loads earlier would help?

I don't even know what Kaleidoscope is, so I am quite certain that I am not using it.

Some of the mystery still remains.

Thanks again.

--Storyboy

[This message has been edited by Storyboy (edited 08-29-2000).]
Indeed, I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.

iMac Core2Duo 2.16GHz/3G RAM/250G HD OSX 10.6.6
Various Peripherals

mac freak
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2000, 11:54 PM

This is Kaleidoscope .

Off topic, I know...

[This message has been edited by mac freak (edited 08-29-2000).]
Be happy.

foxfourgib
Sep 8, 2000, 06:27 PM

Storyboy

Going through the same thing myself. If the version of Virex you are installing is 6.0 you need to upgrade to 6.1 for compatibility with OS 9.0.4. To do this you will need to register Virex and get both an ID and password to enable your use of their on-line upgrade site. Contact their customer service for this data. Just got my permissions late last nite (it takes a few days) and have yet to do the upgrade - hopefully this weekend. Good luck.

Forum Links
Forum Rules