Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > 169.xx.xx.xx error

169.xx.xx.xx error
subdude
Sep 1, 2000, 03:52 PM

I'm using OS9 with a G4 350. I haven't been able to connect to my DHCP server - they tell me it's an apple problem known as
the "169 error". Basically my IP address has changed to one starting with 169 meaning the DHCP
server won't recognize my machine. Has anyone had this problem? (I've tried deleting the TCP/IP
and internet prefs but no luck.)

Cipher13
Sep 1, 2000, 05:13 PM

Not quite sure what you mean - has the IP address in the TCP/IP control panel changed? Is the 169.xx.xx.xx address your ethernet hardware address?

Cipher13

flatcatch
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 1, 2000, 07:10 PM

I haven't heard of this particular problem, but something to try if your Mac is holding on to a bad DHCP address: download the "TCP/IP Options" control panel from Apple (part of "Open Transport Extras"), select the "Don't retain DHCP lease on Shutdown", shutdown, then give it another shot.
http://asu.info.apple.com/swupdates.nsf/artnum/n11401

Keep the rubber side down!

SMacEslin
Forum Regular
Sep 2, 2000, 12:09 AM

169 errors on networks indicate that the NIC is unable to obtain an address automatically from a DHCP server (as you know). By default, all NICs (both PCs and Macs) assign a 169.XX.XXX.XXX address to themselves.

A couple of things to try:

Obtain a good IP address from your sys admin folks, and hard code the info into TCP/IP settings. If that works, revert back to DHCP - it should work now...

Assuming that Appletalk/Appleshare hasn't been checked, try connecting your Mac to another Mac with a crossover cable. This will determine if the NIC is bad.

Best of Luck.

SeeDCadetSquall
Sep 7, 2000, 02:07 AM

I'd be willing to bet that you simply have a conflicting extension. I had the same problem as you are describing when I first signed up for my cable service. Being a mental reject, the technician from Charter Communications had no suggestions for me. So I reinstalled OS 9, told extensions manager to use the OS 9 all set, and it worked perfectly. I would at least try this. Then, if it works, slowly replace your extensions until you locate the culprit. If I am wrong, I apologize for wasting your time. Just try it though if nothing else works.

subdude
Sep 7, 2000, 12:19 PM

Thanks for all your suggestions. I've tried them all and a few others but nothing works. I simply can't use DHCP anymore. I believe it's completely my service providers lame ass dhcp implementation.

apreston
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 7, 2000, 06:32 PM

I've had lots of experience with the 169.xx.xx.xx error. With my @Home provider (Shaw Cablesystems, Victoria) there were two parts to the fix. First, I spent a lot of time lying on the floor unplugging the cable modem, which forced it to reset and reconnect to the network. I usually did this after two or three reloads of the TCP/IP stack failed to get a valid address assigned. This temporarily fixed the problem.

Finally I called Shaw and complained. They ran some remote tests on my modem and determined that the signal level was actually too high, causing the modem to behave somewhat randomly. A service guy came and attached an attenuator to the cable input, which dropped the signal level by 2 or 3 dB. Since then, the rate of 169 errors has dropped to less than 5% of what it was. It's possible that at the same time Shaw made changes to their server - I don't know.

The provider has a point - there are some flaws with Apple's implementation of DHCP. However, there might be some fixes other than software which could help.

Andrew.

Forum Links
Forum Rules