Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > reinstalled 8.1, now no internet connection

reinstalled 8.1, now no internet connection
bohdanz
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 10, 2000, 08:07 PM

I just finished an irritating two hour reintall of 8.1 after a system folder corruption.

Though all my TCP settings on my crusty 9600 are still in place (I'm pacbell dsl) - I keep getting a 'no network' message in both Netscape and Explorer. Unplugged and replugged my ethernet to the extrenal DSL modem but still nothing. Thank goodness I have my Powerbook to write this with.

Help. Thanks. bohdan

The Gonif
Sep 11, 2000, 11:06 AM

Someone recently posted a similar message on a different message board. They recommended entering all TCP/IP settings from scratch instead of copying the settings file over from another System folder. You're on DSL; have you ever used IPNetRouter? It patches the TCP/IP configuration with a reference to an IPNR System folder file. If that file is removed (like if you did a clean OS install) then your IP won't work. To fix this, create a new TCP/IP configuration and re-enter all config info from scratch.

Or have you done this already?

Jeff

bohdanz  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 11, 2000, 01:11 PM

Jeff,

Thanks for your note. I had never known about that and when I get home tonight I will re-enter my info for my PacBell DSL/TCP settings.

My Powerbook is headed back to Apple today for repairs so I've GOT to figure out how to make the 9600 work.

Bohdan

Forum Links
Forum Rules