Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Troubleshooting my new Verizon DSL service which drops intermittently

Troubleshooting my new Verizon DSL service which drops intermittently
TribeLeader
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 8, 2008, 11:30 PM

You helped me recently when I was preparing to setup my new Verizon DSL service.

I've had the service for about 5-6 weeks now and it works well most of the time, but there have been quite a few annoying intermittent outages. When the service drops, the Internet light goes out; a few times it's turned red. Occasionally, the DSL light on the modem blinks, but even when it's solid (which is most of the time) the other two lights (internet and data, I think) blink most of the time.

I got the Westell 6100F free from Verizon. A technician walked me through the setup. I chose not to use the supplied disc, but the online setup process made me download something from Verizon, which installed my service.

I have the modem connected to my AEBS' ethernet port. According to the Internet tab in my Airport Admin Utility, I connect "Using DHCP."

FYI, I have a 3-phone set (wireless, 5.8GHz) in the house, using a Verizon-supplied line filter.

Any thoughts? Any evidence here of problems with the ISP, wiring, equipment/modem, or setup?

Thanks!

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 9, 2008, 08:30 AM

That sounds very much like it's a problem on Verizon's end. That "DSL" light, for example, should let you know that your modem has synced up with the signal on the DSL phone line. The "Data" light should probably blink-or really "flicker" as data passes, but it can indicate that your other hardware is trying to connect via DSL and not succeeding.

I'd call Verizon and have then check your line. You can't do ANY really effective troubleshooting if you can't depend on the signal on the phone line being good.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

TribeLeader  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 11, 2008, 09:59 PM

Thanks.

Ironically, since I posted this question, my connection has been good. If/when it gets bad again, I'll call Tech Support.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 12, 2008, 10:51 AM

New DSL connections often require a "break in" period where the provider tweaks the connection settings at his end to work best with the physical line. AT&T often says that it can take a month to get things "as good as possible" depending on the quality of the copper pair the service is running on. It may just be that Verizon was not rushing into tweaking your connection. Either way, I'm glad you have things running smoothly now.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules