Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Anyone have luck setting up Norton on a Bootable disk?

Anyone have luck setting up Norton on a Bootable disk?
mikemako
Senior User
Sep 3, 2003, 11:24 PM

Hi, I got Norton Utilities 8.0 in hopes that it would repair my drive. I elected the "download" option.. The download gave me 2 folders, one to install for OS X and one for OS 9..

In order to repair my disk I am required to boot from a CD. The folders that I downloaded do not include this. Is there a way to make a bootable CD with the Norton Utilities? I think I'm getting a bootable CD in the mail because I had to type in my billing *and* mailing addresses when I purchased the product, but I'm impatient and if there's just a way to do it manually I would appreciate anyone's help..
My Computer: MacBook Pro 2GHz, Mac OS X 10.4.5

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Sep 4, 2003, 02:52 AM

Is there a way to cancel your order and get DiskWarrior instead?

Seriously, I have been able to get all the major disk utilities except for Norton to work on a boot CD. Norton is also quite dangerous these days, sometimes messing drives up royally instead of fixing them.

Just for curiosity's sake, what error is Norton reporting on your drive? Also, if you hit "Skip" a few times, how many times does the same error show up?

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Cipher13
Sep 4, 2003, 02:54 AM

Do NOT use Norton.

Get DiskWarrior.

Norton causes more problems than it fixes.

Super Glitcher
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 4, 2003, 12:07 PM

I've gotten nortons to work as a startup on every machine except the 17" powerbook (But, only with the disk they send you in the mail, I haven't been able to burn one) - I mailed them about this and got no response, so... I am probably going to switch to DiskWarrior
"Thank you Mario, but our princess is in another castle."

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Sep 4, 2003, 02:06 PM

Originally posted by Super Glitcher:
I've gotten nortons to work as a startup on every machine except the 17" powerbook (But, only with the disk they send you in the mail, I haven't been able to burn one) - I mailed them about this and got no response, so... I am probably going to switch to DiskWarrior
Is Norton able to boot into OS X from their boot CD yet, or is it still OS 9?

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

mpmchugh
Forum Regular
Sep 4, 2003, 02:57 PM

Originally posted by CharlesS:
Is Norton able to boot into OS X from their boot CD yet, or is it still OS 9?

The SytemWorks 3.0 CD boots in Mac OS X.

-mpm

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Sep 4, 2003, 03:00 PM

Originally posted by mpmchugh:
The SytemWorks 3.0 CD boots in Mac OS X.

-mpm
Could you send me an e-mail? support (at) charlessoft (dot) com.

Thanks,
Charles

Goldie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 6, 2003, 03:01 PM

Using Norton Utilities 8.0 I have not had a problem booting into X. Using same cd booted into gf's os9 and repaired as well. Maybe previous versions of norton were bad, but, 8.0 works extremely well.

SymantecMac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 9, 2003, 02:42 PM

Super Glitcher,

What was the question you had in your e-mail? Which version of Norton Utilities do you have? (or SystemWorks) Norton Utilities 8 and SystemWorks 3 should have no problems booting a 17" Powerbook.

Thanks,
-Nick
--------
Symantec Corp.

Originally posted by Super Glitcher:

KidRed
Professional Poster
Sep 9, 2003, 04:45 PM

Originally posted by CharlesS:
Is there a way to cancel your order and get DiskWarrior instead?
HAHA. Yes, as he said, DW is the only safe and real option.
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

Forum Links
Forum Rules