Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > How do I fix Finder?

How do I fix Finder?
RedJack
May 1, 2001, 04:19 AM

Since playing with an Easter egg in the OS, Finder's been crashing, in fact it crashed when I played with the egg. I tried trashing the prefs, but that didn't help, any other ideas? Replacing the Finder has come to mind, but I'm using 9.1 from the updater, not from a CD. If I run the updater, will it replace the damaged Finder? Or can I boot from the CD, trash Finder and use the updater to replace it? Use the old finder from my CD(I's using a first edition iBook)?

cjpainter
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 1, 2001, 06:27 AM

Go ahead and rerun the updater. It should replace the Finder for you. Your original CD will not overwrite a newer version of the OS unless you reformat the drive.

Craig
CJPainter

zac4mac
Mac Elite
May 1, 2001, 09:23 AM

If your Finder's corrupted, you will have to manually trash it and re-install.
An update, either online or from CD will check to see if the Finder is present, only. Not whether it's good or bad.

Jsnuff1
Mac Elite
May 3, 2001, 02:30 PM

what easter egg were you playing wiht?

RedJack
May 3, 2001, 08:35 PM

The about this finder egg. I <ctrl><option> clicked on it(I think, either that or <option><command> ), and promptly crashed the system. Since then Finder's been severly unstable

Forum Links
Forum Rules