Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > External DVD player?

External DVD player?
jeronimo
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 30, 2001, 05:09 AM

Hey guys I have a question:
I have an external Que! USB CDR and a G4 400 w/ internal DVD player. If I take my CDR and switch it w/ the DVD will it work? I mean, using a DVD player thru and external USB case and an internal CDR? I'm concerned about the software... will the DVD player recognize and external DVD drive? And will OS 9.1 recognize my internal CDR so I can burn CDs trhu the desktop and thru iTunes?
Think Diferente!

russellb
Sep 30, 2001, 07:06 PM

Not sure about USB, but I did have an external DVD drive working fine on a firewire connection, also an external CDR drive on firewire. I don't see why it shouldn't recognise the drives on USB.

But I chose a different solution :-)
www.geocities.com/russell2au/index.html

Good Luck
G4 Tower MDD FW800 (2003) 1GHz 768mb
12" PowerBook 867Mhz 640mb

babywriter
Oct 1, 2001, 06:47 AM

You may have a bandwidth problem with a DVD player on USB. I have not tried anything like this, but I know that all of the video-import utilities for USB can't handle full-screen video at normal framerate.

cjpainter
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 1, 2001, 07:00 AM

Your CDR should work, though I don't know if it will be bootable. I had a QUE!Fire external that I had to remove from the housing and installed it in my G4/400 and had no problems with it. It burned just fine.

Craig
CJPainter

jeronimo  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 1, 2001, 02:35 PM

Yeah babywriter, I forgot about that... you're wright on this one... and cjpainter, thanks for the info, as soon as I find something else to play my DVDs, I'll put the CDRW inside the case!! Thanx
Think Diferente!

Forum Links
Forum Rules