Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > 5.8 GHz cordless phones

5.8 GHz cordless phones
PreciousBbird
Mar 8, 2003, 12:16 AM

Do the 5.8 GHz cordless phones interfere with wireless networks? I have found, much to my dismay, that the 2.4 GHz cordless phones do...duh.

I was so excited when I first set up my stuff - wow - I thought I could talk on the phone while connected. Nope.

I guess that raises another question - do the 900 MHz cordless phones interfere? I guess I could go backwards.

Thanks!
( Last edited by PreciousBbird; Mar 9, 2003 at 03:13 PM. )

She's too happy!

dampeoples
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2003, 12:52 AM

I have a 900MHz and Airport, and have no problems.

Macola
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2003, 11:34 PM

No problems with a 900 MHz...I deliberately avoided a 2.4 GHz model for this very reason. My guess is the 5.8 GHz models will be fine, though I haven't tried one.

You may be able to reduce the interference by switching the channel on your wireless network.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

CommonSense
Forum Regular
Mar 18, 2003, 12:03 AM

I have two 2.4 GHz phones and it's kind of annoying, but once you find a channel that isn't used by your phone(s), you're generally OK. I don't typically have any problem talking on the phone while online, even when I'm sitting right at my TiBook.

Or just get a 900 or 5.8 and you'll be fine.

WelshDog
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 18, 2003, 12:46 AM

We are phasing out our 2.4 gHz phone system for a 5.8 system due to interference (and the fact that our 2.4 ghz siemens 2400 phone system is a real stinker). We would have chosen 900mHz but for the fact that they are being phased out and multi handset systems are not available. Also, it is getting harder and harder to find a 900 mHz phone with DSS technology which increases your phone security. Our 5.8 AT&T is really nice. The handset intercom function is great. I can sit on the sofa and use my 12" PowerBooklet and talk on the phone handsfree and no headset.

So far no Airport trouble that can be attributed to the phone.

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2003, 11:50 AM

I agree with the try-different-channels thing. Also a lot depends on the placement of the bases. Keep them apart. And keep the ABS away from your computer and (especially) your monitor. If I separate my Asante router by about 4', I'm fine.

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 18, 2003, 12:35 PM

Any radio source within the 2.4GHz band can potentially interfere with the 2.4GHz signals of a wireless network. This includes microwave ovens, wireless video links, and so on. If you have the option, go for a cordless phone in a completely different band. The 5.8GHz band phones should not cause interference, unless you get the handset REALLY close to your wireless computer, or your computer REALLY close to the phone's base station.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

PreciousBbird  (op)
Mar 18, 2003, 08:09 PM

Thank you everyone for the input. I now realize that having my phone base station about 3 feet from my Airport card (I have a lone 867 Quicksilver computer in my fabulous wireless network - but at least I don't have a cord running from the living room into the office!) is probably not the smartest positioning. I didn't even think of it. I am going to move it into a different room as far from the wireless router and computer as I can get it.

Just curious - Why would having an ABS close to the monitor cause problems? (I don't have it close, nor do I have an ABS - I have a Netgear MR814 about 20 feet away).

This will save having to buy a 5.8 Ghz phone for the time being. Hmmm. What else can I buy....time to shop....

She's too happy!

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 19, 2003, 04:04 PM

I found that no matter the channel the Panasonic 2.4 GHz phones will always kill an Airport connection.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Mar 21, 2003, 05:09 PM

Yup. You can't generalize 2.4GHz phones. Panasonics, as Luke's Hand said, are notorious for freaking out 2.4GHz wireless networking. Siemens phones, on the other hand, never do (which is why I spent a fortune on a Siemens when buying a cordless phone). Then my roomie moved in with her $50 2.4GHz V-Tech, and it doesn't interfere, either.

tooki

[edit: eek, typo!]
( Last edited by tooki; Mar 24, 2003 at 09:49 AM. )

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 22, 2003, 05:26 PM

I was going to say something sage about Seimens' superior design and shielding-until tooki mentioned his roomie's inexpensive Vtech phone (hey, it ain't cheap if it works as advertised!), which sort of took the wind out of my sails. I think the big difference is really the amount of power and the quality of filtering on the transmitter's output. This is true of microwave ovens, too-older ones, I mean REALLY old ones, will splatter signals all over the place while poping your popcorn, while new ones not only use less electricity to pop the corn, they keep all the signals inside the box.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Mar 24, 2003, 09:48 AM

Alas, my vintage 2001 Panasonic microwave oven will wreck 802.11b connections within a 5 foot radius.

tooki

Donlaub
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 26, 2003, 05:40 PM

I had an original graphite Airport base that operated without any interference from an ATT 2.4 MHz cordless phone, nor from a Sony wireless stereo speaker system. I replaced that ABS with an Aiport Extreme base (to use USB printing). Now every phone call will disrupt my network, and I've had to disconnect the wireless speaker entirely. Has anyone else noticed AE being more sensitive to interference?
G4 533 MHz DP 1 GB
iBook 600 MHz 256 MB Airport Card
iPod 5 MB

justinkim
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 26, 2003, 06:57 PM

Some 5.8 phones (The AT&T and [I think] the Vtech) transmit from the base at 5.8 and from the handset at 2.4. If interference is a big issue for you, be sure to check the small print on the phone.

That said, my Siemens phones have never mucked with my Airport network.

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Mar 26, 2003, 09:41 PM

Originally posted by Donlaub:
Has anyone else noticed AE being more sensitive to interference?
Have you tried changing channels? Moving the AEBS to a different location?

Toyin
Mac Elite
Mar 27, 2003, 09:27 AM

My V-tech 2.4ghz phone doesn't intefere with my Linksys 54g which is also 2.4ghz. However if sustained transfers I will hear an intermittent crackle while on the phone.

Interesting about the Microwave, I find that when I'm in the kitchen I'll often get 2-3bars on my airport meter, where I get 4bars everywhere else in the house. Now I know why.
-Toyin
13" MBA 1.8ghz i7
"It's all about the rims that ya got, and the rims that ya coulda had"
S.T. 1995

Donlaub
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 27, 2003, 07:16 PM

Apple posted Airport Extreme Firmware 5.0.3 update. They described it as fixing "...an issue where an AirPort Extreme network appears to be unavailable as displayed by the AirPort Menu Extra or the Internet Connection application. This behavior may result from excessive 2.4 GHz radio interference which causes the wireless network to disappear. The update allows the base station to more gracefully recover when exposed to sources of interference." This was exactly the issue that I was experiencing.

I have installed it earlier today, and so far....(crossed fingers)...I have not had any problem with interference.
G4 533 MHz DP 1 GB
iBook 600 MHz 256 MB Airport Card
iPod 5 MB

Yoda's Erotic Piggyback
Banned
Mar 28, 2003, 02:13 AM

v-Tech is horrible. Made in the USA electronic crap.

ae86_16v
Mac Elite
Mar 28, 2003, 04:06 AM

I have an SMC Barricade Wireless Router and a Uniden phone. Soon, I'll be adding a Bluetooth mouse and use Bluetooth to sync my Palm.

Right now, I am pretty good in terms of interference. It happens once in a while, I'll lose my Airport Signal, but it doesn't happen often enough to be a problem.

But, I don't know about Bluetooth though, because that operates at 2.4Ghz too.

Forum Links
Forum Rules