Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Official �New PowerBook 12� order status

Official �New PowerBook 12� order status (Page 2)
bih
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2003, 03:22 AM

My shipping was upgraded to "Priority Overnight" as well. If that's for real, it was very cool of Apple.

AdamHadem
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2003, 07:12 AM

Like several of you, I am promised my new 12" mac by 9/25. Just checked the site (again!). Yup, my shipping is now "priority overnight."

Let's see what that really means....

.....counting down.....

schwaz80
Sep 25, 2003, 07:42 AM

Mine was upgraded to priority overnite and my ship date is on or before 10/1

rsh
Forum Regular
Sep 25, 2003, 08:21 AM

I was also upgraded to Priority Overnite, ship date remains on or before 9/29. Also, my iPod is finally showing some activity. (It had been stuck in customs.)

Now, it shows iPod was picked up at "Shipper Door", I have to presume here in the states instead of Shanghai.

schk
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 25, 2003, 08:34 AM

Did anyone notice all the red text of "available" on the apple store is gone underneath the powerbooks, maybe that's a good sign that all models are in stock or will be soon? Just some wishful thinking I too received the priority overnite upgrade.

eScrib
Forum Regular
Sep 25, 2003, 08:49 AM

Priority overnight for me too...

9/26/03 ship date.

Draco
Sep 25, 2003, 10:29 AM

Priority Overnite here too. Same estimated ship date of today 9/25. I foresee that changing though

iomatic
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2003, 10:59 AM

9/26 expected ship date...

"Priority Overnite" (sic)

...is that different? I opted for expedited shipping originally; is that next day vs. 2 day, or whatever their faster method was?

thx

wait a sec. isn't 9/26 Friday? So, if it does indeed ship Friday to my not-open-on-the-weekend-office, will they ship it Monday. Goofy, I tell ya!
( Last edited by iomatic; Sep 25, 2003 at 11:39 AM. )

Rain
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 25, 2003, 12:28 PM

Originally posted by schwaz80:
Mine was upgraded to priority overnite and my ship date is on or before 10/1
Aww man I have the same ship date and I opted to pay for faster shipping. Arrr. Could've saved myself some $$!

note: disregard this rant if the offer's not available to Canadians

schk
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 25, 2003, 12:30 PM

Has anyone called Apple today? Someone posted on Apple's discussion forums that they were told there are delays and to expect e-mails regarding the delay. I would call, but the wait times have been ridiculous the last times I've tried to call.

LeeG
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 25, 2003, 12:40 PM

WOO HOO!!

Priority Overnight! And still sched to ship 9/25 Today!!!

Which means I could have the laptop TOMORROW!

I cheaped out originally on the shipping, and I thought I'd have it next week- this is SO sweet - I will give a FULL report with pics if arrives tomorrow-

Lee
iPhone 3G 16Gb
24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo iMac, 4GB/320GB/256MB
12" AlBook 1Ghz/768Mb/80Gb/Combo/AX

Rain
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 25, 2003, 12:45 PM

Originally posted by schk:
Has anyone called Apple today? Someone posted on Apple's discussion forums that they were told there are delays and to expect e-mails regarding the delay. I would call, but the wait times have been ridiculous the last times I've tried to call.
Looks like Apple deleted that thread. I was just about to post in it

AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 25, 2003, 12:48 PM

Overnight on my order, too, due 10/1.

And in related news, my 20 Gig Pod shipped today, as scheduled. I'm taking this as a sign of good things to come.

I just wonder if it's going to come overnight.

JSH
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2003, 12:52 PM

Originally posted by Rain:
Looks like Apple deleted that thread. I was just about to post in it

Yeah, that was me. Not sure why they deleted my post, since it was Apple that told me that the 12" would be delayed. My order status still says "ship on or before 9/24/03". Apple told me on the phone that I would be getting an email later today that shipping on the new 12" PowerBook would be delayed due to unforeseen reasons. She would not give me a delay duration.

Seems Apple is pretty touchy about it.

JSH

Rain
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 25, 2003, 01:09 PM

Originally posted by JSH:
Yeah, that was me.
Freaky Small world, lol

I guess Apple didn't anticipate so many people would order the PBs - maybe that's the "unforseen reason"

I hope this doesn't push my original 10/01 ship date to a later date *sigh*

schwaz80
Sep 25, 2003, 01:25 PM

I have no idea what I am going to do... I need this laptop for school and it's killing me right now that I don't have it and it doesn't look like I will have it anytime soon.

eScrib
Forum Regular
Sep 25, 2003, 01:28 PM

Has anyone else called to see what is going on? I would, but I have a meeting in 2 minutes...

ProcrasT8
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2003, 01:51 PM

Here's an update on a thread that I posted earlier. My original shipping date for the PowerBook 12" was on September 25th, but I checked again today and the shipping date has been pushed back to October 3rd. Aaarrgh!! I took a look at the shipping method and it has been changed to priority overnite, and I'm pretty sure I selected ground shipping when I placed the order on September 16th. So it looks like Apple got swamped with way more demand than they had originally anticipated and is trying to do the right thing by getting it out as soon as possible, I hope.

On a good note, the iPod that I ordered together with the PowerBook was shipped a day ahead of schedule on September 24th and the tracking result said that delivery was attempted today but no one was at home, so they'll try again tomorrow.

dreverhart
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2003, 01:58 PM

My powerbook 12" BTO 80gb harddrive / superdrive purchased from the Apple Store for Education was supposed to ship out today (9/25/03). I called Apple and was told the ship date will be moved to (10/3/03) due to unforseen delays. Also, my ipod 10gb shipped from China on 9/19/03 and is still "in transit" - so much for 2 day shipping! Anyway - I am still anxiously awaiting the powerbook...

bfurtado
Sep 25, 2003, 02:01 PM

My Shipping status has not changed. Says on or before Sept 25. I called Apple and the rep said he had no info in either case. It hasn't shipped nor has it been delayed. I ordered mine on Sept 6 and was upgraded to the new 1Ghz model on Sept 16. Still, I would hope that mine would be one of the first to ship because its been 3 weeks now. My shipping was changed to Bestway (I'm in Canada), but when I called in and asked what that was, the rep said it was slower than the two day shipping I paid for. It was changed back to 2 Day.

Brian

JSH
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2003, 02:02 PM

Should I cancel my 12" PB order, and go buy the 900 Mhz iBook they have in stock now at the local Apple Store?

Draco
Sep 25, 2003, 02:24 PM

Bastards... now mine says: Open Est. Ship 10/03/2003

I wish Apple wouldn't jerk people around with these dates. It's very discouraging. Why do they do this with just about every new product?

Anemia
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2003, 02:28 PM

Should I cancel my 12" PB order, and go buy the 900 Mhz iBook they have in stock now at the local Apple Store?

i'm starting to wonder the same thing. I need a laptop, any laptop. NOW. i'm beginning to wish i had just ordered the freaking 15" as all those people don't seem to be having wild problems.

my 9/25 date is also back to 10/3. I'll wait that long, and if it gets pushed back on 10/3 i'll cancel my order and just go buy one from the store. be it an ibook or a 15" i don't know yet.

schk
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 25, 2003, 02:31 PM

Ugh, seems they are changing all 9/24 and 9/25 dates to 10/3. Just checked my status and it was changed as well. I wouldn't mind the delay if Jobs didn't specifically state that the 12" is "available today" in his keynote. I read in a post here that some dude called to cancel an order, but they offered him free stuff to keep it and he got a free wireless keyboard...they better start offering all of us some freebies That plus the fact my iPod is stuck in limbo somewhere when it was shipped out last week and others are recieving their iPods they ordered later than me is bothersome. This better not mess up the EDU rebate either...

eScrib
Forum Regular
Sep 25, 2003, 02:33 PM

So does this mean since the 9/24 and 9/25 people are getting pushed back to 10/03/03, that everyone that were behind them will also be pushed back?

CJG86
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2003, 02:36 PM

Ugh, seems they are changing all 9/24 and 9/25 dates to 10/3. Just checked my status and it was changed as well. I wouldn't mind the delay if Jobs didn't specifically state that the 12" is "available today" in his keynote. I read in a post here that some dude called to cancel an order, but they offered him free stuff to keep it and he got a free wireless keyboard...they better start offering all of us some freebies That plus the fact my iPod is stuck in limbo somewhere when it was shipped out last week and others are recieving their iPods they ordered later than me is bothersome. This better not mess up the EDU rebate either...
Do you have a link to that post?

schwaz80
Sep 25, 2003, 02:37 PM

mine still says 10/1 and I ordered on 9/22. I am all stock except the AP card... if it get's delayed anymore I might have to drop the extra coin on a 15".

eScrib
Forum Regular
Sep 25, 2003, 02:38 PM

I'm calling now to see what's up with my PB and the darn iPod that shipped last week on the 18th and STILL isn't here...

LeeG
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 25, 2003, 02:39 PM

Add me to the pile - DELAYED.

I smell Rev a 17"....

9/25 is magically 10/03.

The worst part was they teased me. This morning they upgraded me to overnight shipping, and it STILL read 9/25. So I got excited that I may actually get it tomorrow.

Now I have overnight shipping, but 10/03/03....

Lee
iPhone 3G 16Gb
24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo iMac, 4GB/320GB/256MB
12" AlBook 1Ghz/768Mb/80Gb/Combo/AX

AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 25, 2003, 02:48 PM

Still listed as 10/1 for me as of 11:30 PDT. It's a stock combo drive unti with an AE card, so I'm hoping that'll get it to me without too much hassle.

And our friends at Airborne have no idea where my iPod is. What a bunch of worthless humps they are. It's supposed to be here by tomorrow at noon. We shall see.

schk
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 25, 2003, 02:50 PM

I doubt that the people with first estimates of 10/1 shipping dates will stay that way. Some of the orders that were quoted for 9/24 and 25 were placed at the beginning of September. It would not make sense to delay orders of people who ordered first and not push the remaining orders back as well.

benb
Sep 25, 2003, 02:54 PM

Having just ordered a 12" today I'll check in. Edu purchase.

256MB RAM, AE, Combo, 60GB HD.

Order says on or before 10/6. I had to call because I didn't make it to the bank quick enough (paying by debit card) to transfer funds and they sent me an email saying it didn't clear. Talked to the lady on the phone to clear it, and my iPod (20GB), FCE, and HP printer should ship out between today and Tuesday. 12" anytime between 10/2 and 10/6. No sooner.

I might have to wait longer, but I'm betting not as long as I waited for my 1GHz Ti last November!

Ozymandius
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2003, 02:59 PM

I have never owned an Apple before, but decided to make the switch because I was looking for a solid suave laptop that could handle all my dirty work when i needed to travel.

I placed my order for a 12 inch on 9/06 and was upgraded to the Rev B model when they were released, which I thought was very gracious of Apple. However they bumped my expected ship date to 9/25, which I felt was unfortunate because I am in somewhat of a time crunch and need this laptop ASAP.

I know that Apple is doing everything they can (right?) but nonetheless I feel somewhat aggravated at having my shipping date pushed back again. At this rate I won't have recieved my laptop ONE MONTH after placing my order. I think that is a little ridiculous. Do you think Apple will offer any compensation / extra perks? Is it worth calling and asking about? I've waited this long so I am not going to cancel my order...but I think that this situation should be rectified in some manner.

paganini
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2003, 03:03 PM

Ordered 9/16 via educ apple store online.

orig ship date was 9/25, but as of today, i've been pushed back to 10/03, but upgraded to priority overnight (which is all well and good, but i had hoped to have it by begining of next week).

bfurtado
Sep 25, 2003, 03:09 PM

Ordered mine Sept 6 (all stock except I added an Airport Extreme Card). Anywhoo, mine hasn't shipped but that est shipping date hasn't changed either. Then again, I ordered by phone and I hear that phone order status is not as accurate as web orders. Still, when I called two hours ago, nothing was pushed back and I have yet to receive an e-mail one way or the other. I'm crossing my fingers. I placed this order 3 weeks ago so I assume that I will be in the first batch the receive a 1Ghz PB. I'll keep you all posted.

Brian

P.S - I'm in Canada, so I hope that doesn't affect estimated shipping dates.

Brian

tarwal
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2003, 03:24 PM

I ordered mine on the 16th...and it was changed from 09/25 to 10/03 earlier today but now it's saying 09/25 again...anyone know what that's about? Do any of you still have a shipping date of 09/25?..or have any of you received an email indicating the delay?

benb
Sep 25, 2003, 03:29 PM

Originally posted by Ozymandius:
I placed my order for a 12 inch on 9/06 and was upgraded to the Rev B model when they were released, which I thought was very gracious of Apple. However they bumped my expected ship date to 9/25, which I felt was unfortunate because I am in somewhat of a time crunch and need this laptop ASAP.
Yea, I know what you mean. Especially because when your order was changed to Rev. B, you got more: more PowerBook and more wait. I'd call and explain your situation to a sales rep, or even better someone above the normal reps and see what you can get out of it. You might not get much, but hey, better than nothing. And this happens a lot with Apple products.

Nice name to!

"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look upon my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"

schk
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 25, 2003, 03:41 PM

WTF? From powerbookcentral:

"12" 1 ghz pb's are available today at the chicago apple store... just picked up a combo drive model."

If this is true, why are our orders getting pushed back? I wish I could go to a nearby store (all hours away anyways) and check, but in order to get the EDU rebate, all items must be purchased on the same invoice. With my iPod stuck somewhere in Airborne land, I can't return that and purchase an iPod and PB at the store. And I'm not going to buy another iPod and have to deal with returning the duplicate one. meh, this blows.

eScrib
Forum Regular
Sep 25, 2003, 03:49 PM

WTF? From powerbookcentral:

"12" 1 ghz pb's are available today at the chicago apple store... just picked up a combo drive model."

If this is true, why are our orders getting pushed back? I wish I could go to a nearby store (all hours away anyways) and check, but in order to get the EDU rebate, all items must be purchased on the same invoice. With my iPod stuck somewhere in Airborne land, I can't return that and purchase an iPod and PB at the store. And I'm not going to buy another iPod and have to deal with returning the duplicate one. meh, this blows.
That REALLY ticks me off, because I work 8 blocks from the store on Michigan Ave... My sister ordered her 12" AlBook and iPod, it the iPod is lost as well and the 'book probably won't ship for another week!!!

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

eScrib
Forum Regular
Sep 25, 2003, 04:01 PM

Yep... I just called the Michigan Ave. store and they have them IN STOCK!!!

Anemia
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2003, 04:18 PM

everyone keeps bringing up the rev a 17"

I haven't been around that long, what happened?

JSH
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2003, 04:30 PM

(I also posted this on the Apple Discussion site)

I called the local Apple Store in Durham NC and they had just received a truck load of 12, 15 and 17" powerbooks. I drove straight there, bought the 12" and cancelled my online order. No waiting til after 10/3/03 for me!
YA HOO!

I will post first impressions soon.

Alerosport.com
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2003, 04:51 PM

Orderd my 12 incher today with Airport Extreme Card and 80 gig drive in it! 7 to 11 days was what i got.... lets hope lol
www.AleroSport.com
PB 12" 1GHz 80gig/and superdrive!
Sold the 867 Quicksilver
for sale-- ATI 9000

schk
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 25, 2003, 04:54 PM

(I also posted this on the Apple Discussion site)

I called the local Apple Store in Durham NC and they had just received a truck load of 12, 15 and 17" powerbooks. I drove straight there, bought the 12" and cancelled my online order. No waiting til after 10/3/03 for me!
YA HOO!

I will post first impressions soon.
So apparently the 9/25 ship dates actually mean when Apple Stores receive them and the day we get shafted I was hoping with stores receiving these, my 10/3 date would get pushed back to 9/25 but no luck. And please post your impressions ASAP, it's the only way I will stay sane, heh.

celliott47
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 25, 2003, 05:28 PM

Last Friday I placed an order for a PB 12" refurb from the Apple store with
standard free shipping. I phoned a couple of hours later and canceled the
order and decided to use one of the deal coupons for $50 off the Apple store
for education and get the new PB 12" instead. All seemed fine. Except that
on Monday the refurb showed up on my doorstep. I called Apple- they were
amazed that it had gotten through and arrived so quickly to begin with. The
guy told me the order probably wasn't even supposed to go out until Monday.
Curious. Yet there it was.

Combine that with the fact that the new 12" appears AWOL for now with mine
having a possible (and I stress possible) ship date of 10/1.

Man am I tempted. As they say, one in the hand is worth two in the bush! I'd
really like to see what's in that refurb box. I've never even seen the Al
12" in person. I got a return number to return the refurb to Apple, but that
can only happen if I don't open it.

Resist the urge, resist the urg. Ahhh. It's driving me nuts. Why is Apple
doing this to me??

CJG86
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2003, 05:43 PM

Originally posted by celliott47:
Last Friday I placed an order for a PB 12" refurb from the Apple store with
standard free shipping. I phoned a couple of hours later and canceled the
order and decided to use one of the deal coupons for $50 off the Apple store
for education and get the new PB 12" instead. All seemed fine. Except that
on Monday the refurb showed up on my doorstep. I called Apple- they were
amazed that it had gotten through and arrived so quickly to begin with. The
guy told me the order probably wasn't even supposed to go out until Monday.
Curious. Yet there it was.

Combine that with the fact that the new 12" appears AWOL for now with mine
having a possible (and I stress possible) ship date of 10/1.

Man am I tempted. As they say, one in the hand is worth two in the bush! I'd
really like to see what's in that refurb box. I've never even seen the Al
12" in person. I got a return number to return the refurb to Apple, but that
can only happen if I don't open it.

Resist the urge, resist the urg. Ahhh. It's driving me nuts. Why is Apple
doing this to me??
Did they charge you for the refubished one?

pinkoos
Forum Regular
Sep 25, 2003, 05:45 PM

Just called the Houston Galleria Apple Store and they have a couple second generation 12" combos and a couple second generation 12" supers in stock.

It does seem that Apple is delaying online orders in order to build up stock at their retail outlets where impulse buys are more common.

Basically, they are having their cake and eating it too:

1. They have all of the online orders to fulfill

PLUS

2. They have the walk-in buys

Think about it: if Apple first fulfills all of their online orders before stocking their retail outlets, they will be losing out on that impulse buy. If somebody walks in to the Apple Store down the street and wants to buy the 12" but it's not in stock, the likelihood of them buying will decrease (though they will eventually buy it, just at a later date and probably from a different retailer).

By stocking their stores and then fulfilling online orders, Apple does, in fact, have their cake and eat it too!

I'm not condoning this practice, but, from a business point of view, it makes perfect sense.

FWIW.

celliott47
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 25, 2003, 05:50 PM

Originally posted by CJG86:
Did they charge you for the refubished one?

Yep, they did charge me, or actually, they didn't cancel the original charge as requested.

Man, it's tough just letting it sit there, but it is the Rev. A.

Willpower!

ProcrasT8
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2003, 06:33 PM

I actually got a email from Apple today stating that, and I quote here:

" Thank you for your recent purchase of a 12-inch PowerBook G4 from the Apple Store. Following is an update regarding your order.

We anticipate shipping your order by October 3, 2003. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused by this delay."

Anemia
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2003, 06:51 PM

i got the same email.

anytime you get a letter (or in this case email) that starts out:

"Dear Valued Customer

Thank you for your recent purchase of ____________"

you know you're effed.

Forum Links
Forum Rules