Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > White spots, am I doomed to get them?

White spots, am I doomed to get them?
dennis88
Forum Regular
Nov 4, 2003, 02:29 AM

I have had my powerbook 15" 1,25ghz 5400rpm BTO for about a month now, and I don't have any whitespots, and I don't see any signs for it either.
The machine is great, and I'm very happy with it, BUT.

I keep reading all these posts about people getting whitespots after many weeks, and it seems to be alot of people getting it.
I should be happy that I don't have them, but I keep stressing myself as if I will get them or not.

Is it just some powerbook's that can get them, or will all powerbook's get them sooner or later?

All this about whitespots makes me feel bad about my powerbook, as if something is doomed to go wrong with it.

Thanks.

iBook2
Forum Regular
Nov 4, 2003, 02:41 AM

Later this week I'm getting a 15" 1.25Ghz PB G4 with a Cinema Display at work to replace my 17" PB G4 (not my choice... I'm switching departments and my 17" stays with the old department for budget reasons). So I decided to check out and see what everyone thinks of the 15" on this forum to find out the spot issue. Now I'm worried about the whole thing! I haven't had one problem with the 17"! Actually of all the Apples I have owned (which is a lot!) the 17" has been the best for quality! I love it! I just pray my new setup is just as good!

forcelite
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 4, 2003, 02:51 AM

I bought my 15' the day after announcement and have had no problems with the screen or anything else.

Although nobody knows for sure what brings on the white spots, many think that it has to do with the foam supports for the lcd. One thing that can make the foam "spot" is pressure from the back.

So a popular theory is that alot of traveling or movement, or pressure on the lid can cause spots.

I have to admit my PB does not travel at all and I have not spots as of today.

Im not that worried to be honest
Force

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2003, 04:11 AM

The truth is that no one knows what causes these white spots. Heck, even Apple admits they don't know. But that "Apple is investigating these reports right now." CNET.com

Hopefully those who don't get these white spots after a month of use are immune from them. Since many of these spots appear right away or within a week or two of use. See my post for a discussion about Apple's lack of quality assurance and failure to admit when they screw up (until the press gets into it).

wallaper
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 4, 2003, 11:13 AM

My first powerbook 15al had white spots the first time I started it up, I returned it and got a new one right away. now I have had my 2nd one for 3-4 weeks and I just noticed a new spot yesterday. I am not going to return it for a while though because of the large wait every is talking about.

Wallaper

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2003, 02:47 PM

Originally posted by wallaper:
...now I have had my 2nd one for 3-4 weeks and I just noticed a new spot yesterday...
Wow, sorry to hear that. 3-4 weeks later.

ulmer
Nov 4, 2003, 08:51 PM

I just noticed two white spots on my 15". I've had it for over a month now. Going to wait until it seems there's a sure solution before sending it in...

Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2003, 09:14 PM

I carry my PB with me all day in my bag. Usually there aren't any books... but there is still always a little pressure on the screen.

For me, the spots showed up within 2 days of the initial purchase, and again, 2 days after I got the screen replaced.

It does look like pressure on the PB screen cover could be causing this. But, I need my with me.. it's the reason I bought a portable, so I can't avoid the spots by not carrying it around.

So ya, more evidence that people who move around a lot with the PB will likely get them.

pdub99
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 5, 2003, 12:26 AM

I didn't have any spots for the first few weeks. I've got 3 or 4 of them now. As with others, it's not a big deal (but I want them fixed), so I'll wait a little while for the dust to settle before bringing it in.

Forum Links
Forum Rules