Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Unlocked iPhone T-mobile

Unlocked iPhone T-mobile
ATLMacUser
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 6, 2009, 12:53 PM

A few questions...

I am currently with T-mobile using a Blackberry Curve. I wish to use an unlocked iPhone on my T-mobile account. With a quick search on Ebay I found many deals for unlocked iPhones ranging from 300-500 bucks.
Here's my questions:
1.) What do I need to be aware of when I buy one of these unlocked iPhones.
2.) How difficult and what is involved in connecting the iPhone to my T-Mobile network.
3.) I currently have unlimited data with T-mobile. Will this apply to the my iPhone? I won't get hit with charges and such will I?
4.) Does T-Mobile care? Do they view this as a breach of their TOS?
5.) Also can I connect MobileMe up to the unlocked iPhone on the T-Mobile network. This is VERY important as the ability for me to push my iCal, contacts and email is very important to me.
6.) How do I handle updates to the iPhone? Same as normal?

Thanks! I'd love to hear back from someone on this especially someone who's currently using an unlocked iPhone on T-Mobile.

JKT
Professional Poster
Mar 6, 2009, 03:04 PM

I can answer 6. for you - no you can't. Any unlocked iPhone (unless it was bought in France or Hong Kong) has been hacked and "jailbroken" - to update the software you first have to wait for the jailbreakers to update their own software (and Apple does their best each time to stop them from being able to do so) so that you can install the latest Apple update.

For all your other questions, I don't think it would matter as it is your SIM card and not your phone that T-Mobile track (afaik, they have no idea what type of phone you are using unless you tell them what it is). However, I would wait for someone who has done this to give you a more educated response.

kylef
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 6, 2009, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by ATLMacUser View Post
A few questions...

I am currently with T-mobile using a Blackberry Curve. I wish to use an unlocked iPhone on my T-mobile account. With a quick search on Ebay I found many deals for unlocked iPhones ranging from 300-500 bucks.
Here's my questions:
1.) What do I need to be aware of when I buy one of these unlocked iPhones.
2.) How difficult and what is involved in connecting the iPhone to my T-Mobile network.
3.) I currently have unlimited data with T-mobile. Will this apply to the my iPhone? I won't get hit with charges and such will I?
4.) Does T-Mobile care? Do they view this as a breach of their TOS?
5.) Also can I connect MobileMe up to the unlocked iPhone on the T-Mobile network. This is VERY important as the ability for me to push my iCal, contacts and email is very important to me.
6.) How do I handle updates to the iPhone? Same as normal?

Thanks! I'd love to hear back from someone on this especially someone who's currently using an unlocked iPhone on T-Mobile.
Hi ATL - I use an iPhone on T-Mobile. In answers to your questions:

1) I would recommend restoring it to factory settings and then unlocking it again yourself. The real software is free and so simple to use.

2) Once you have completed the <10 minute unlocking and jailbreaking procedure, just pop in your SIM and you are good to go.

3) Unlimited data is in reference to your SIM/number and not the phone. So transferring your SIM means you will retain your unlimited data package (I have one too). If you are purchasing a 3G iPhone phone T-Mobile and ask "does my data plan include 3G?" - it should, mine does (although I have a 2G iPhone so it isn't much use on that front obviously).

4) T-Mobile will never know unless you tell them. And they can't find out what phone you are using unless you tell them. I suggest you keep it that way for safety's sake.

5) All iPhone features available are available on unlocked ones also.

6) Minor updates (eg. 2.2 to 2.2.1) should work fine - mine do. Just be sure to Google first, there will be plenty of people asking. With regards to larger updates (eg. 2.2 to 2.3 when it arrives) - you will probably need to re-unlock your phone. I know this is a hassle, but these updates don't come out that often.

Hope this helps, and hope I didn't stray across the forum rules.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 6, 2009, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by kylef View Post
4) T-Mobile will never know unless you tell them. And they can't find out what phone you are using unless you tell them. I suggest you keep it that way for safety's sake..
You are dreaming.

Don't you think that all the data flowing from your iPhone won't show that you are using an iPhone ?

Hint: your browser will show up as Mobile Safari.
Even T-Mobile will be able to draw the right conclusions from that

-t

kylef
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 6, 2009, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
You are dreaming.

Don't you think that all the data flowing from your iPhone won't show that you are using an iPhone ?

-t
Never knew that they could go as far as determining what browser you are using. But nonetheless, I haven't had any troubles. Thanks for the info, though.

auto_immune
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 6, 2009, 06:07 PM

T-Mobile has no problem with you using an iPhone. They have techs who deal specifically with "unsupported" non-tmobile phones.
I spent several hours on the phone with them trying to get my BB Storm to access their data network.

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2009, 07:03 PM

1.) That if something goes wrong, you'll get no support from Apple and probably little sympathy from T-Mobile.
2.) It was as easy as putting in my T-Mobile SIM and changing APN setting to "internet2.voicestream.com" for data.
3.) I have unlimited data, too (the G1 plan). I haven't had any unusual charges or suffered any problems in 3 months.
4.) Didn't ask. Haven't told.
5.) Yes. This was also a deal-maker for me. Love adding calendar items and having them show up on my wife's phone, too.
6.) NO! Wait for the Dev Community (unlock gods) to tell you it's okay to update. Never update right away.

I left AT&T after a year and a half of promises that a new tower or network tweak would make things better in my sleepy, west of Phoenix suburb. It never happened. I was sick of 1 bar and dropped calls or simply having "No Service" show up on my phone. I sold my 2 3Gs (mine & my wife's) and we went to the G1. Android is unpolished and even now that there are paid apps, there's no there there. I bought a pair of old generation 1 iPhones off of Craigslist ($300 ea.) and haven't looked back. My only regret is that I didn't hold onto the 3G iPhones when I went to T-Mo. I'd love to have the real GPS.

My only fear is that iPhone 3 will be out this summer and that maybe - just maybe - there'll be some killer feature my original iPhone can't do, even with an OS upgrade. Guess we'll see.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

ATLMacUser  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 6, 2009, 10:38 PM

I too like in a metro suburb which ATT doesn't support. T-Mobile takes care of me just fine and I have the at voice over IP land line which with the modem provides full signal in my house for my cell.
I'll likely try and find a 2G 8GB for the 300 range. I don't want to spend more money than that.
I'm glad you told me about the G1- I've thought of it- but I really want MobileMe, so I got to go with the iPhone.

kylef
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 7, 2009, 06:09 AM

I found MobileMe too sluggish and expensive when almost all of the features are available for free on Google.

Nexus5
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 7, 2009, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
You are dreaming.

-t
They know exactly which Phone is in your pocket, no need to have any voice or data traffic.
The magic thing is the IMEI of your Phone.

nexus5.

jrocja
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 19, 2009, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by DigitalEl View Post
1.) That if something goes wrong, you'll get no support from Apple and probably little sympathy from T-Mobile.
2.) It was as easy as putting in my T-Mobile SIM and changing APN setting to "internet2.voicestream.com" for data.
3.) I have unlimited data, too (the G1 plan). I haven't had any unusual charges or suffered any problems in 3 months.
4.) Didn't ask. Haven't told.
5.) Yes. This was also a deal-maker for me. Love adding calendar items and having them show up on my wife's phone, too.
6.) NO! Wait for the Dev Community (unlock gods) to tell you it's okay to update. Never update right away.

I left AT&T after a year and a half of promises that a new tower or network tweak would make things better in my sleepy, west of Phoenix suburb. It never happened. I was sick of 1 bar and dropped calls or simply having "No Service" show up on my phone. I sold my 2 3Gs (mine & my wife's) and we went to the G1. Android is unpolished and even now that there are paid apps, there's no there there. I bought a pair of old generation 1 iPhones off of Craigslist ($300 ea.) and haven't looked back. My only regret is that I didn't hold onto the 3G iPhones when I went to T-Mo. I'd love to have the real GPS.

My only fear is that iPhone 3 will be out this summer and that maybe - just maybe - there'll be some killer feature my original iPhone can't do, even with an OS upgrade. Guess we'll see.
I need to update my apn settings but I can't seem to find them in my settings menu. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

Andy8
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2009, 08:05 PM

AT&T confirms sale of contract-free iPhones - expensive, but at least you have unlocked iPhones locally now.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2009, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by kylef View Post
5) All iPhone features available are available on unlocked ones also.
That's not entirely true is it? You can't use Visual Voicemail on a hacked iPhone right?

Geofries
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 22, 2009, 07:38 PM

Question: Once an iPhone is jail broken, can you ever return it to original firmware?

Andy8
Mac Elite
Mar 22, 2009, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by Geofries View Post
Question: Once an iPhone is jail broken, can you ever return it to original firmware?
Usually, yes.

Forum Links
Forum Rules