Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Photoshop Elements 2.0

Photoshop Elements 2.0
Jeffrey P. Kempster
Aug 8, 2002, 03:44 PM

I just got this at CompUSA today. I have a recenty upgrade G4 Powerbook PISMO. I was wondering if Elements benefits from the G4 processor like the real photoshop. I also have a newbie question. What plugins will this support and more importantly where does one find plugins for photoshop elements.

I have a canon G2 camera and I read alot about plugins or actions to help with things like high ISO picture noise.

Thanks for any help...
iBook 800Mhz/640MB/40GB/Combo/Airport/10.2.3/9.2.2

iMac 500/256MB ram/30GB HD/CD-RW/10.2.3/9.2.2

1008 Legal MP3s :D

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Aug 8, 2002, 07:50 PM

I want to know this as well....I've heard Elements 2.0 plays really nice with iPhoto...how powerful is it?

Camali
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 8, 2002, 11:00 PM

The demo SJ gave at MacWorld of iPhoto and how you can export the picture for editing in whatever program you choose, he Had Photoshop Elements 2.0. Exactly what was special, or what feature did PE 2, have that was nice about it working with iPhoto?

I placed an order for PE 2 through Amazon, and I'm just curious.

Back up 15 and punt
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 8, 2002, 11:42 PM

Originally posted by Camali:
The demo SJ gave at MacWorld of iPhoto and how you can export the picture for editing in whatever program you choose, he Had Photoshop Elements 2.0. Exactly what was special, or what feature did PE 2, have that was nice about it working with iPhoto?

I placed an order for PE 2 through Amazon, and I'm just curious.
Photo Elements 2.0 works with iPhoto in one very important way. It will save the photo back into iPhoto's database. That means no importing/exporting of the photo's.

robby818
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 9, 2002, 02:28 AM

I ordered elements 2.0 from amazon last friday and today UPS delivered it to my door. I've used elements 1.0 on my pc but did not bother installing it on my mac bec it wasnt os x native. now it is and it's great. I am just starting to play around w all the new features. I really like how adobe includes both the mac and pc versions on one cd, it's a nice plus for those of us who use both platforms. One small disappointment--I'm a new Mac user and was under the impression that Macs did a better (faster) job when working w/ graphics but it's clear that elements 2.0 runs noticably faster on my dell pentium III 900 mhz machine than on my Quicksilver 733. oh well, i still really like all the iapps that are only available on the mac

ozycher
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 9, 2002, 02:33 PM

Does Elements include the Healing Brush that is in the full Photoshop 7?

kovacs
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2002, 03:01 PM

Originally posted by ozycher:
Does Elements include the Healing Brush that is in the full Photoshop 7?
Nope sorry, the healing brush is only in Photoshop 7, those 500 extra bucks have to go somewhere...

Camali
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 9, 2002, 04:13 PM

Okay, so is that all Elements will give iPhoto?

I mean I do that now with Photoshop 7, double click the photo in iPhoto and it jumps into Photoshop 7 edit/save and it reappears in iPhoto changed/updated.

I might as well forget about Elements 2.0 now, of course my nieces could use it, but they are better off learning PS 7 anyway.

HamSandwich
Aug 9, 2002, 04:21 PM

Could someon outline what the biggest differences to PS 7 are? I think about selling my old Photoshop versions and go for Elements.

Steve

dbergstrom
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 9, 2002, 07:45 PM

Elements 2.0 is a beautiful piece of software. For amateur digital photographers, it's more than enough for fixing up pictures.

I used full Photoshop up to version 6 (never tried 7).

Biggest differences:

1) No "healing brush" as mentioned above.
2) Less customization for ColorSync usage (does color management quite well without the user getting involved).
3) More Wizard-oid tools (red-eye removal, etc.)
4) Maybe less plug-in support.
5) $500.

Seems to have full support for layers, type manipulation, import/export, all the tools I ever used in Photoshop.
Don

godzookie2k
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2002, 12:27 AM

4 differences between the two:

C

M

Y

K

mrtew
Professional Poster
Aug 10, 2002, 02:59 PM

Originally posted by dbergstrom:
Elements 2.0 is a beautiful piece of software. For amateur digital photographers, it's more than enough for fixing up pictures.
Wow... I think I want to buy it! Does it have all the standard photoshop filters? Are there any other lacking features. I really like Photoshop a LOT, but I can't swing $600 just for messing around with pictures.

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 10, 2002, 04:38 PM

I believe another difference from Photoshop is that Elements will not allow you to edit channels.

Chris

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Aug 11, 2002, 11:43 AM

Also the automation feature. I end up posting THOUSANDS of photos to a website every week... I also have to place the "www.please_visit_us.com" copy in the photos...

Phtotoshop saves them all for the web and creates a thumbnail...

It has saved me years...

dbergstrom
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 11, 2002, 12:14 PM

If you have to edit channels or upload THOUSANDS of photos, then Elements may not be for you.

Elements does have the option to create web sites from any number of pictures you determine. The index.html page can then be edited in the HTML editor of your choice. This seems somewhat automated.

Only problem - from what I've read elsewhere it is a CPU hog on a certain pre-release OS. Maybe there will be an update after the 24th?
Don

Krypton
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2002, 01:45 PM

Originally posted by chabig:
I believe another difference from Photoshop is that Elements will not allow you to edit channels.

Chris
Damn, I was going to buy it but I was after the paths and channels palette so that I could make OS X icons

Please tell me this isn't true!

mrtew
Professional Poster
Aug 11, 2002, 06:54 PM

Originally posted by Krypton:
Damn, I was going to buy it but I was after the paths and channels palette so that I could make OS X icons

Please tell me this isn't true!

I'd like to know if that's true too, but Iconographer is great for icons and it only cost $15.

Krypton
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2002, 08:57 AM

Originally posted by mrtew:

I'd like to know if that's true too, but Iconographer is great for icons and it only cost $15.
I was under the impression that you still needed to create the icons in a photo type app before importing them into Icongrapher?

The Mac Geek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 12, 2002, 08:59 PM

Originally posted by Camali:

of course my nieces could use it, but they are better off learning PS 7 anyway.
Whoever at Adobe that chose the flower-y icon and splash screens for it should be SHOT. I'm sure your nieces would think it was "pretty", though.

It's still a nice piece of software, though.
Former Mac Genius
Apple Certified Desktop Technician (ACDT)
Apple Certified Portable Technician (ACPT)

mrtew
Professional Poster
Aug 12, 2002, 10:34 PM

Originally posted by Krypton:
I was under the impression that you still needed to create the icons in a photo type app before importing them into Icongrapher?
Iconographer has a lot of photo editing stuff built in, but you can try it out for yourself for a while before it nags you enough to pay for it. It does the alpha channel thing though, so you wouldn't need that part of photoshop complete... that was my point.

MattDV
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 13, 2002, 03:18 PM

I am buying Elements strictly for the stiching feature. You'd think for $500 more, my Photoshop 7 could do it, but no. But for $29 from Amazon, ELements will join PS7 in my toolbox.

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Aug 13, 2002, 03:44 PM

Originally posted by MattDV:
I am buying Elements strictly for the stiching feature. You'd think for $500 more, my Photoshop 7 could do it, but no. But for $29 from Amazon, ELements will join PS7 in my toolbox.
Photoshop 8.0 will. Remember that 7.0 added all of the features that Elements 1.0 had?

Krypton
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2002, 03:13 AM

Originally posted by mrtew:

Iconographer has a lot of photo editing stuff built in, but you can try it out for yourself for a while before it nags you enough to pay for it. It does the alpha channel thing though, so you wouldn't need that part of photoshop complete... that was my point.
Ok sounds good - but will it be able to mask shadows/objects with varying transparency?

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Aug 15, 2002, 03:32 AM

Originally posted by CheesePuff:

Photoshop 8.0 will. Remember that 7.0 added all of the features that Elements 1.0 had?
No - this was a feature of Elements 1.0, and didn't make it into Photoshop 7 at all.

Krypton
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2002, 09:35 AM

Photoshop Elements is Excellent!

I got my copy this morning, and it seems to have just about all Photoshop features except paths support.

Althought there is no channels pallette, Elements is smart enough to add an alpha channel to exported pictures that have a transparent background - which is much more easy to follow in my opinion

It even has layer styles - so I can finally add the "inner glow" feature to my Aqua buttons, and drop shadows

With non-live window resizing aside, I am a very happy chappie

Forum Links
Forum Rules