Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Sherlock 3 now localized (kind of)

Sherlock 3 now localized (kind of)
Nexus5
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 27, 2002, 04:03 PM

Wow, Apple finaly managed to "localize" sherlock 3!
In my case, it "tries" to be german. But the services are still only for Apple users in the USA.
Thats great, now I have an localized user interface, and I can search for an pizzaservice in San Francisco.
Also the channel "Fligths" is very smart: It lists foreign airlines, but no foreign airports.

Thats lame.

nexus5.
( Last edited by Nexus5; Aug 27, 2002 at 04:13 PM. )

kman42
Professional Poster
Aug 27, 2002, 04:11 PM

Originally posted by Nexus5:
In my case, it "tries" to be german. But the services are still only for Apple users in the USA.
Thats great, now I have an localized user interface, and I can search for an pizzaservice in San Fransisco.
Also the channel "Fligths" is very smart: It lists foreign airlines, but no foreign airports.

Thats lame.

nexus5.
Don't waste your time searching for a pizza place in San Francisco. The best places are Gaspare's and Giorgio's.

kman

Nexus5  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 27, 2002, 04:16 PM

Originally posted by kman42:

Don't waste your time searching for a pizza place in San Francisco. The best places are Gaspare's and Giorgio's.

kman
Hey, now I know the address: (thanks Sherlock 3!)

Gaspare Pizza House & Rstrnt
5546 Geary Blvd, San Francisco, CA 94121
Phone: (415)387-5025

nexux5.

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 27, 2002, 04:21 PM

It lists foreign airlines, but no foreign airports.
It lists London, Z�rich, Lisboa, Luxembourg, Vienna, Prague, Berlin, Munich, ...
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

Nephron
Forum Regular
Aug 27, 2002, 04:33 PM

Thats great, now I have an localized user interface, and I can search for an pizzaservice in San Francisco.

Thats lame.

nexus5.
Yup,
Not much value if you don't live in the US.

Seb G
Forum Regular
Aug 27, 2002, 04:43 PM

It will also find flights from NCL (say) to DUS, but lists neither Newcastle nor D�sseldorf Airport. Since it can find those flights, it should be localised to include all those airports, and Apple Europe should have a say in this -- do they actually do anything apart from taking our money?

Yellow Pages are online in the UK, why can't Apple UK give us some support for them? (Or give us a 20p discount because Sherlock is semi-useless for us?)

kman42
Professional Poster
Aug 27, 2002, 04:58 PM

Hey, now I know the address: (thanks Sherlock 3!)

Gaspare Pizza House & Rstrnt
5546 Geary Blvd, San Francisco, CA 94121
Phone: (415)387-5025

nexux5.
That's it! We go all the time. Look for the guy with the big blue X on his shirt

kman

Jan Van Boghout
Aug 27, 2002, 04:59 PM

At least now Sherlock translates from and to Dutch. That must be about the only localized channel� (not just nib file localized)

Seb G
Forum Regular
Aug 27, 2002, 05:15 PM

Jan, I've just played with the translation bit. It is sooo much better value for people who can actually speak more than one language - and thus appreciate what kind of rubbish it comes up with. But even round trips (English-Dutch-French-Italian-English) are quite amusing.

Quite bad that it cannot deal with umlauts.

seb2
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 27, 2002, 06:50 PM

also notice it misleads you in some cases?

try to enter "berlin" or "paris", it'll come up with tegel and charles de gaulle, not with the other airports in those cities...

i also doubt their choice of "known airlines" (or whatever it is in english), i've never heard of "alaska airlines" and many others there (sure i'd consider them for an inner-european flight ) -- not a single non-us airline there...

sambeau
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2002, 07:49 PM

Originally posted by Developer:

It lists London, Z�rich, Lisboa, Luxembourg, Vienna, Prague, Berlin, Munich, ...
Hmm.

London, United Kingdom == LHR ??

There are 5 international airports serving London. Where are they?

If you search for flights from NRT (in Tokyo) LHR (In London) none of the flights appear to Arrive or Depart from LHR. They mostly seem to arrive at JFK (and one goes from HKG (Hong Kong) to NRT..)

When I search VIE (Vienna) to LHR I get a flight from Tokyo NRT to London LHR!..

Very strange, And I guess a sign that this is either not accurate for flights ouside the US - or still *very* buggy!

Forum Links
Forum Rules