Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > slow login on rev A imac macos9

slow login on rev A imac macos9
mhencin
Feb 17, 2000, 10:51 AM

I am experiencing a significant slowdown when I log into macos9. The hard drive icon appears, and nothing else, then after about a min, the rest of the desktop appears, and it continues to "boot". Also some of my applications take a very long time to launch. The system appears to hang, but if I wait, it eventually continues.

I have ran the usual plan of diagnostic, pram, rebuild desktop, Norton�s disk doctor, and defragged the HD. Still it persists.

Any help would be appreciated.

Mike

drewman
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 17, 2000, 10:46 PM

From what I understand, the multiple user option uses quite a bit of system resources and a lengthy login on older systems is somewhat normal. The login by the Administrator should be faster by comparison. Do you have plenty of hard drive and memory?

drewman

Alastair
Feb 21, 2000, 04:25 PM

Hey - I have the same problem! And it does not seem to be Multi User related - if we turn off multi user mode we still get the pause - but this time AFTER the desktop has appeared.

I am sure this only started up after we AppleTalked our iBook to our old Performa 6320. However disabling AppleTalk and File Sharing does not remove the pause.

Ali

drewman
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 22, 2000, 01:19 AM

Check your TCP/IP settings to see if Configure via DHCP is set. If so, while your computer boots it asks for an IP address and if the server is not there it takes anywhere from 5 to 15 seconds to timeout.

drewman

Alastair
Feb 22, 2000, 02:47 PM

Nope it was set to "using PPP server".

The delay is around 10 seconds though. The routine is:

Type password.
Couple of seconds of drive clicking.
Pause - 10 seconds, no hard disk access.
Couple of seconds of drive clicking.
Icons start to appear.

Not exactly a huge problem - but very annoying!

Ali

Alastair
Feb 22, 2000, 02:51 PM

By the way Mike - thinking about it could your problem be that File Sharing is still turned on? I found some similar delays - including a very long delay in creating Apple Works files and printing from Apple Works - if I left File Sharing on when disconnected from AppleTalk.

(or was it leaving AppleTalk on when disconnected from the network? - one of the two anyway!)

Ali

Alastair
Apr 2, 2000, 09:35 AM

Hey - I finally found it!

Well, I found out what was causing our iBook to slow down at login. We conect occasionally to another computer via AppleTalk. This causes some aliases to the other computer's disks to be formed - some in the System/Servers folder and some in the Recent Servers folders. When I deleted these the login was fine again. It seems that every login the iBook was trying to find the disks, retrying a bit and then giving up.

I have disabled the recent server logging. Does anyone knoe how I could avoind the System / Servers aliases being created? I don;t like the idea of having to track them down all the time.

Cipher13
Apr 5, 2000, 05:31 AM

Installing MacOS 9.0.4 dramatically speeds up login - and kills that annoying "Out of memory" message at startup if you have experienced that! use the software update thing to download it, or download it from the link at MacNN or MOSR or something.

Forum Links
Forum Rules