Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > My new 15" 1ghz Powerbook

My new 15" 1ghz Powerbook
arythmic
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 16, 2003, 05:06 PM

This is actually my first post on this board and I had a couple of questions

Well i recieved Tibook (15' 1ghz, 1 gig Ram, SD) as a gift a week before the 17" Tibooks were announced, do you think i should try to return mine or is it not worth it? The only reason really I would want the 17" is because of the non flaking paint (does this last generation of 15"'s still have the paint and hinge problem), the hinge, and the new keybaord.
So what do you all think?
Should I just hold on to mine?

Thanks

cambro
Senior User
Jan 16, 2003, 05:14 PM

I would stick with the Tibook unless you need the extra screen space, Firewire 800 or use bluetooth constantly.

Also, for what it's worth. I owned a first gen. Ti400 for over a year with no paint/hinge/screen/heat issues and my 1Ghz machine also has no problems I'm aware of. Fan run-time and noise are completely acceptable in my opinion too, and this is a common source of complaint.

my .02, but whatever route you take, enjoy your new machine!

MarkLT1
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 16, 2003, 05:19 PM

I would second the notion of keeping the 15". I just got my 15" a month ago, and initially felt very disappointed I didnt wait when the 17" was released, but after thinking about it, I realized that I would have probably gotten the 15" even with the 17 available (and no- price was not the concern.. hauling it 1.5 mi back and forth to my office every day was!!). If you really could use the screen space, and other extras, and dont plan on lugging it everywhere you go (or using it on an airplane in coach- my 15" barely fits!!) then you might want to try to return it. If not, dont sweat it. The paint problem is supposedly fixed (and apple is replacing parts with peeling paint now).. I love my 15" SD Tibook..

flanders
Forum Regular
Jan 16, 2003, 05:20 PM

I was in the same boat--my last day of return on my new 867 powerbook was Jan 8th. I stewed about returning it, but in the end, I stuck with the 867.

Why? Well multiple reasons, but I think generally the 15" is a great size for both desktop and portable use, battery life is great and screen size has plenty of real estate and it's widescreen too. It's also IMHO it's a better overall laptop (model has been tested longer, proven design, great graphics card, etc.) with all the features I'll need for a while (and looking extremely sharp I might add!)

IMO, the 15" is the place to be right now. I'll wait for the next 15" powerbook and then I can get the snazzy new model ;-)

Oh, and I like the fact that there are already plenty of accessories designed for the Ti, like bags and sleeves.

arythmic  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 16, 2003, 05:27 PM

Thanks everyone for your replies! I agree, I think what I have now is an AMAZING machine, I love it and upgrading isn't really that important. I hadn't heard that apple fixed the paint problem, but thats great if they have. Thanks everyone

banana
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 16, 2003, 06:46 PM

I just upgraded to the 1 Gig with a Gig of ram, then the 17in came out. I was a little freaked at first, but i love my new machine and the 17 inch seems great, both the 15 is a little more poratble. also it was nice to get the double ram deal... which off set the price make down and ended up being a better deal with the gig of ram.
Banana

dvd
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 16, 2003, 06:55 PM

keep the 15", i would. You'd have to buy ddr ram for the 17", which doesnt really make a difference since the bus isnt fast enough.
-Athlon XP 1500+, 256 PC2700 DDR RAM, 30 + 60 gig HD.
-Powermac G4 "Digital Audio", 384mb ram, 40gig HD, 16mb rage pro 128
-original iPod 5gig =]

everyman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 17, 2003, 02:26 AM

I don't understand the logic here.
This was a gift. You obviously didn't need to have this computer right this second.
If you return it and wait a few months you'll be able to get the 15 AlBook that is absolutely going to be released. How would Apple in any way not change the Ti to an Al in the 15 size? It just doesn't compute.
So why not wait? And in 2 or 3 months you'll be able to get the Aluminum version of the 15 TiBook.
Yeah, you won't have instant gratification right this second. But how are you going to feel a couple months from now, when your 15 TiBook really will begin to feel like yesterday's news? I mean, really, this isn't just speculation. It's obvious the 15 AlBooks are a hop, skip and jump away.

issa
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 17, 2003, 03:24 AM

If you return it and wait a few months you'll be able to get the 15 AlBook that is absolutely going to be released. ...[snip]... I mean, really, this isn't just speculation. It's obvious the 15 AlBooks are a hop, skip and jump away.
While many folks hope you are right, and I too wish that Apple carries on the 15" form factor, there is absolutely nothing to back up your assertions or ensure that this will happen let alone when it might happen. Apple will do whatever the company decides best suits the bottom line and will do that regardless of speculation on this forum. If arythmic takes you at your word and waits, he could be waiting for several months or more.

everyman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 17, 2003, 03:28 AM

Ok. I concede. I should never say "absolutely." You are right.

Ham Sandwich
Jan 17, 2003, 09:24 AM

Originally posted by everyman:
...If you return it and wait a few months you'll be able to get the 15 AlBook that is absolutely going to be released. How would Apple in any way not change the Ti to an Al in the 15 size? It just doesn't compute. ...
Just like they'd never release new Powerbooks 2 months after new models...

arythmic  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 17, 2003, 09:51 AM

I just want to make sure really that the paint issue was solved. Does anyone have any conformation on this? I know people have been complaining abou tthe fan noise in their 1ghz, however mine is so quiet I sometimes dont realize it is on.
So when all is said and done, I think spending the extra ____ isn't goign to be worth it. Also the biggest question is, would the place that I got it from take it back ( I had gotten it from them about 3 weeks ago and they are a small apple seller). Has anyone returned their 15" Ti's they had recently purchased and gotten their money back towards a 17"?
Thanks

prefect
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 17, 2003, 02:39 PM

I am in a similar situation. I got a 1GHz 15" Tibook a few weeks ago that I haven't even opened. And I can't decide what to do! I don't want a 17" because it's way to big...but if Apple is going to release a 15" AluBook with backlit keyboard within the next few months I would rather have that.

I don't like the idea of the paint chipping off the current 15" books.

I am going to be waiting forever? Any inclinations as to when we might see a 15" with the new form factor?

Cheers.

proux
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 17, 2003, 03:28 PM

If you don't need the powerbook right now (you haven't opened it!) bring it back and wait 2 months...

dwishbone
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 17, 2003, 04:08 PM

according to an applestore rep i talked to when i canceled my PB17 order (couldnt wait 2 months...got a sweet PB15 from MacMall instead) and he said that to his knowledge the 15" is being phased out completely and apple has no plans to replace it. they want the 12" to be for the Pro-sumer (people who want small fast G4s) and the 17" to be a mobile desktop relacement for the Professional. he seemed pretty knowledgable and didn't mind shooting the sh*t with me. ive always like apple's reps...anywho.
this makes little sense to me, but in a way i can see their reasoning behind it.
so, i wouldnt hold your breath about a 15" AlBook.
if anyone cares within the next few days i will do an article about what i believe will be the direction of the PB on MacSatin.
24" iMac 2.13ghz C2D | 15" MBP 2ghz CD | "Soundwave" 60GB 5G iPod

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2003, 04:13 PM

Apple Store representatives have little or no information regarding the release of new machines. Whatever they do have they likely find on rumor sites.

dwishbone
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 17, 2003, 04:43 PM

true. i dont know about how apple is setup, but i used to work for a satellite company (one of the big two) and we always knew at least a month ahead of time when something was coming/changing etc. we had to be trained on all of the new things weeks before they happened.
yes he probably didn't know for sure. but, alot of the current tactics show they are getting rid of it.
personally, i hope they don't. i think the 15" is a happy medium size wise.
guess we'll wait a few months and see what happens.
24" iMac 2.13ghz C2D | 15" MBP 2ghz CD | "Soundwave" 60GB 5G iPod

SwarmyCurve
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 17, 2003, 05:24 PM

Originally posted by prefect:
I am in a similar situation. I got a 1GHz 15" Tibook a few weeks ago that I haven't even opened. And I can't decide what to do! I don't want a 17" because it's way to big...but if Apple is going to release a 15" AluBook with backlit keyboard within the next few months I would rather have that.

I don't like the idea of the paint chipping off the current 15" books.

I am going to be waiting forever? Any inclinations as to when we might see a 15" with the new form factor?

Cheers.
I doubt Apple is just going to pump out a 15" AluBook anytime in the immediate future. They will probably release one when the specs will be higher.
Maybe, for example, they will unveil one when they can put a 1.2 Ghz G4 into it. Also, not every Titanium model has the paint issues...

Then again, maybe they will ditch the 15" model. That seems hard to believe now, but when the rumor of 12 and 17" PowerBooks made the rounds that was even more hard to believe.

Forum Links
Forum Rules