Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Only Apple PB in the desert?

Only Apple PB in the desert?
pjmurphy
Forum Regular
Mar 8, 2003, 12:22 PM

Great article @ Wired about a lonely PowerBook in the desert. Smells like a Apple PR insert..

http://www.wired.com/news/mac/0,2125,57961,00.html

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2003, 01:28 PM

Originally posted by pjmurphy:
Great article @ Wired about a lonely PowerBook in the desert. Smells like a Apple PR insert..

http://www.wired.com/news/mac/0,2125,57961,00.html
I'm glad toknow that Apple is not well represented overthere...
Powerbook 1.67ghz 15" (100GB HD, 128MB VRAM, 1.5GB RAM)

BkueKanoodle
Senior User
Mar 9, 2003, 12:24 AM

Just should mention the reason why the tough books are not as fast as the macs has nothing to do with the Mac being better. Its due to the militarys requisition process. Every thing the military buys has to be up certain specifications, also known as Milspec. these are different criteria for toughness, shelflife, etc. Usually speed of the machine IS NOT part of the criteria. It takes so long to get a machine approved for Military UUse that byt the time its approved, 3-4 years have passed. Those toughbooks are probablyy pentium 233, or course the Mac is going to kick its ass.

Nasa's even tougher to get a piece of equipment approved for space travel. Last time I checked, last spring, the fastest laptop computer "approved for space travel" was an IBM 486!
15" Macbook Pro 1.83 2 GB RAM
Blackbook 13.3 Powerhouse 2 GB RAM
MacMini Dual Core 2 GB RAM (Sadly running Windows Most of the time)
Numerouse Workstations running windows and Linux. Sorry don't have the specs, I don't pay much attention to them anymore. :)

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 9, 2003, 12:38 AM

If I was at war, I'd probably prefer a Toughbook AND a PowerBook.

Plus it sounds like the ToughBook probably uses an ultra slow hard drive and not enough memory. I wonder if it's possible to install one's own hard drive and memory in one of these. That would likely speed things up greatly, even if voids the warranty.

The Ginger Rat
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 9, 2003, 12:41 AM

Originally posted by Eug:
Plus it sounds like the ToughBook probably uses an ultra slow hard drive and not enough memory. I wonder if it's possible to install one's own hard drive and memory in one of these. That would likely speed things up greatly, even if voids the warranty.
Probably would get courtmartialed to boot.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 9, 2003, 12:49 AM

Originally posted by The Ginger Rat:
Probably would get courtmartialed to boot.
Uh whatchoo talkin' about? I'm talking about IT-sanctioned modifications for the purpose of aiding the war effort. Remember, they had to approve his purchasing a PowerBook too.

Plus, it's a major too, not a private.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 9, 2003, 01:52 AM

Originally posted by BkueKanoodle:
Just should mention the reason why the tough books are not as fast as the macs has nothing to do with the Mac being better. Its due to the militarys requisition process. Every thing the military buys has to be up certain specifications, also known as Milspec. these are different criteria for toughness, shelflife, etc. Usually speed of the machine IS NOT part of the criteria. It takes so long to get a machine approved for Military UUse that byt the time its approved, 3-4 years have passed. Those toughbooks are probablyy pentium 233, or course the Mac is going to kick its ass.

Nasa's even tougher to get a piece of equipment approved for space travel. Last time I checked, last spring, the fastest laptop computer "approved for space travel" was an IBM 486!
You can get 2.2 GHz Toughbooks. Or at least 866 MHz for the really rugged ones.

Maybe the army just has old ones.

BkueKanoodle
Senior User
Mar 9, 2003, 02:38 AM

Originally posted by Eug:
You can get 2.2 GHz Toughbooks. Or at least 866 MHz for the really rugged ones.

Maybe the army just has old ones.
Yes, but the point of my post is that the process for getting one of the newer toughbooks approved for field use takes between 2 -4 years, so by then they'd be considered slow. The military does nothing without extensive testing, even if its the same manufacturer. Even a slight case revision requires retesting. A machine usually has to be as close to 100% reliable as possible before it goes to the field. So they do long term testing on them.
15" Macbook Pro 1.83 2 GB RAM
Blackbook 13.3 Powerhouse 2 GB RAM
MacMini Dual Core 2 GB RAM (Sadly running Windows Most of the time)
Numerouse Workstations running windows and Linux. Sorry don't have the specs, I don't pay much attention to them anymore. :)

dvd
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 9, 2003, 03:41 AM

yeah use the toughtbook to beat down enemies..and pb for work.
-Athlon XP 1500+, 256 PC2700 DDR RAM, 30 + 60 gig HD.
-Powermac G4 "Digital Audio", 384mb ram, 40gig HD, 16mb rage pro 128
-original iPod 5gig =]

Forum Links
Forum Rules