Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Bald Eagles Being Killed in Canada

Bald Eagles Being Killed in Canada
bubblewrap
Senior User
Mar 22, 2005, 08:09 PM

More eagles found killed in North Vancouver
Brings total to 50

Canadian Press

March 18, 2005

CREDIT: Steve Bosch, Vancouver Sun
Conservation officer Colin Copland holds eagle wings found in North Vancouver this week.

SURREY - (CP) - Another eight bald eagles have been found slaughtered in North Vancouver.

This brings the number of birds found dead in recent weeks to at least 50. "Eight skulls and six wings were uncovered in an advanced state of decomposition," The Ministry of Water, Land and Air Protection said in a news release. It's believed that feathers and talons from the birds are being sold on the black market.

Conservation officers found the remains of the latest birds five kilometres west of where some of the other birds were found.

A reward of $10,000 is being offered in the case, with the money coming from the provincial government, the District of North Vancouver, the Tsleil-Waututh First Nation and the Humane Society.

The B.C. Wildlife Rederation also offers a standing reward of up to $2,000 for information leading to the conviction of those found responsible for breaking wildlife laws.

The B.C. Conservation Service has also set up a task force of officers to investigate and has asked for help from the RCMP.

Perpetrators of the crime could face poaching penalties and illegal exporting fines as high as $150,000 and up to five years in jail.
� The Canadian Press 2005
( Last edited by bubblewrap; Mar 22, 2005 at 09:23 PM. )
To create a universe
You must taste
The forbidden fruit.

Zimphire
Baninated
Mar 22, 2005, 08:40 PM

Why are they doing that?

bubblewrap  (op)
Senior User
Mar 22, 2005, 08:43 PM

Hell if I know.
My brother thinks it's a hatred of any symbol that's American.

I think maybe that the bodyparts are valued as talismen perhaps.
To create a universe
You must taste
The forbidden fruit.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Mar 22, 2005, 08:56 PM

I doubt this has anything to do with anti-Americanism. In Canada, bald eagles are not an American symbol, they are simply bald eagles. This is probably similar to the killing of grizzly bears and wolves for the black market sale their body parts (usually to china)

bubblewrap  (op)
Senior User
Mar 22, 2005, 08:59 PM

We had stupid rednecks shooting them here. Idiots.
To create a universe
You must taste
The forbidden fruit.

DBursey
Professional Poster
Mar 22, 2005, 09:02 PM

Trollish thread title. How about summing up the Red Lake incident as "Americans Killing School Kids"?

If and when apprehended, the idiot(s) behind the eagle slaughter can anticipate discussing their destructive ornithological impulses with the clink shrink.

In any case, this is in all likelihood a case of eagle innards being sold to satisfy the burgeoning Chinese black market demand for the innards of exotic species.
( Last edited by DBursey; Mar 22, 2005 at 09:07 PM. )

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Mar 22, 2005, 09:07 PM

Originally posted by DBursey:
Trollish thread title. How about summing up the Red Lake incident as "Americans Killing School Kids"?

If and when apprehended, the idiot(s) behind the eagle slaughter can anticipate discussing their destructive ornithological impulses with the clink shrink.
Actually, it's a fair title. The laws protecting the bald eagle in the US are much stronger than those in Canada. However, I doubt you'll see similar concern from the US about the grizzly and timber wolf populations.

bubblewrap  (op)
Senior User
Mar 22, 2005, 09:07 PM

I've personally felt the AntiAmericanism here. But it's to the point.
I'll change the title after I get my jollies.
The moderator or admin can change it if the choose.

I don't think the killing of the birds is a psycological impulse. It's profit motivated.
To create a universe
You must taste
The forbidden fruit.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Mar 22, 2005, 09:20 PM

Originally posted by bubblewrap:
I've personally felt the AntiAmericanism here. But it's to the point.
I'll change the title after I get my jollies.
The moderator or admin can change it if the choose.

I don't think the killing of the birds is a psycological impulse. It's profit motivated.
No question there are anti-American feelings in Canada. Fortunately for the bald eagles, they aren't American. I agree that these birds are being killed for money.

bubblewrap  (op)
Senior User
Mar 22, 2005, 09:22 PM

I like your replies. I'll change my title. I actually have no ill feelings towards Canadians.
To create a universe
You must taste
The forbidden fruit.

DBursey
Professional Poster
Mar 22, 2005, 09:28 PM

Originally posted by Wiskedjak:
Actually, it's a fair title. The laws protecting the bald eagle in the US are much stronger than those in Canada. However, I doubt you'll see similar concern from the US about the grizzly and timber wolf populations.
That doesn't justify the title's broad stroke at all! These Eagles are thriving in Canada; so much so that their status was downgraded from endangered to threatened in 1995. The news item in question pertains to isolated incidents in one area of one province. Bald eagles can be found from B.C. to Newfoundland.

As you are most likely aware, the main peril to eagles and other raptors came from pesticides, not hunting. DDT was the main culprit, used extensively in agriculture as well as industry. While DDT was never manufactured in Canada its use here was phased out in the '70's and banned outright in the mid-eighties.

James L
Mac Elite
Mar 22, 2005, 09:28 PM

As sad as this is, there really isn't anything new about people killing animals for black market sales... be it eagle parts or elephant tusks.

I put these Candians, or whomever is doing these crimes, on the same level as the AMERICAN soldiers who shoot dogs for sport with the ammunition that the tax payers paid for.

I think they are all scum, and nationality has nothing to do with it.

bubblewrap  (op)
Senior User
Mar 22, 2005, 09:38 PM

Dioxins also contributed to their demise.
Dioxin were used in Canada. It's the bleach in paper.
It got into the water and into the fish they ate.
This happened extensively in the US also.

Why won't my title change?
To create a universe
You must taste
The forbidden fruit.

DBursey
Professional Poster
Mar 22, 2005, 10:05 PM

DDT was used in Canada as well. Like many chemicals found in the environment, it concentrates at the top of the food chain, and was implicated by scientists as being the principal agent behind the softening of raptor egg shells.

You can edit your post, but only a mod can edit the title. Hey; no worries!

edit: note to self - principle is a noun; principal is my adjective.
( Last edited by DBursey; Mar 22, 2005 at 10:14 PM. )

V
Senior User
Mar 23, 2005, 01:28 AM

Trollish thread title.
I agree. Just the fact that it is being posted in the political lounge is revelatory...

Anyway, bald eagle and golden eagles,because they are preying on carrion, get sometimes caught in traps not set for them. Some hunters also shoot them because they think they are harmful (or because they are just not "real" hunters.

Here in Quebec, according to some recent estimations, there is only 65 couples of Gold Eagles left.

Link (in french, sorry)

Some measures have just been taken to help them, measures that will help biologist get decent financing to preserve and increase the population. Bald eagle population is less precarious here. For now.

If you are wealthy -->WWF

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Mar 23, 2005, 08:25 AM

Originally posted by bubblewrap:
Hell if I know.
My brother thinks it's a hatred of any symbol that's American.
I think it's the opposite, to be honest...
I think maybe that the bodyparts are valued as talismen perhaps.
I think you're close on the talisman idea, if you count 'trendy nationalistic bric-a-brac" as talismans. My guess is that most of these parts find their way to the US, where they're then sold on the black market (and possibly not even the black market; I don't know how the laws work in a case like that).
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

bubblewrap  (op)
Senior User
Mar 23, 2005, 08:34 AM

I'm going to try and do something.
I've now got clearance to the airstrip on Amelia Island.
There is a raptor rehab center there. I'll do my research and see what networking I can do with other centers.
At least I will try.
To create a universe
You must taste
The forbidden fruit.

BoomStick
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 23, 2005, 09:44 AM

This looks like someone is profiting off of selling "Indian Medicine Trinkets".

No tribal leader in their right mind would ever harm such a sacred symbol.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Mar 23, 2005, 10:21 AM

Originally posted by BoomStick:
This looks like someone is profiting off of selling "Indian Medicine Trinkets".

No tribal leader in their right mind would ever harm such a sacred symbol.
That's another possibility. It seems, though, that we're in agreement on the idea that these birds are probably being sold piece by piece. In any other time I'd agree that "Indian Medicine Trinkets" were almost certainly the end result, but in these nationalistic times I don't think the possibility of some new pseudo-patriotic fad can be ruled out.

Randomly killing bald eagles for no reason makes no sense. That doesn't actually rule out the possibility of it happenning, it does make it a bad place to start the search. People do things that make no sense every day -I'm as guilty of that as anyone else- but usually they're trivial things that don't require much effort. Killing a bald eagle is surprisingly difficult; it's not just something one does on a whim.

Killing bald eagles in some kind of protest isn't much different. Certainly it's possible, but most of the people who protest against US actions are going to be loath to kill animals as a protest. Those who protest using the destruction of national symbols tend to prefer using inanimate objects like flags or effigies, and a bald eagle is neither. Those who actually do kill animals in protest tend to use traditionally "lowly" animals; the dog-burning incidents in the Middle East come to mind. Once again, though, the bald eagle doesn't fit, and even if it did it's not indigenous to the regions where this form of protest is practiced.

Nope. My guess is that the only reason for this is so someone can score a quick buck.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

BoomStick
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 23, 2005, 10:42 AM

I've never heard of anyone wanting eagle parts to show patriotism.

Many tribal councils meet in my town here at Cheehaw and I have seen weapons adorned with raptor feathers.

I have questioned tribal leaders about it and under their rules the feather can only come from the center of the fan and only one feather can be taken from a live bird. The center fan feather will not be detremental to it's ability to hunt.

ANY other feathers are bad medecine.

dcolton
Banned
Mar 23, 2005, 02:49 PM

I personally believe that this is happening because of mean and nasty canadians who take out their feeling of insignificance on innocent birds which happen to represent the United States.

Never put anything past a Canadian. They will harbor war criminals and slaughter innocent birds.

DBursey
Professional Poster
Mar 23, 2005, 06:09 PM

You're getting to be quite proficient with the purile aspersions, dcolton. Methinks a Canadian girl must've broken your heart.

... innocent birds which happen to represent the United States.
Canadians don't conflate the two at all! I'll take misconceptions for 500, Alex.

James L
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2005, 09:22 PM

You're getting to be quite proficient with the purile aspersions, dcolton. Methinks a Canadian girl must've broken your heart.

Canadian girls have more class than to date someone with an attitude like that.

dcolton, I will wait for you to show me evidence that the person slaughtering the innocent birds is Canadian. For all we know it is a bitter American living in Canada.

Meanwhile, shall we watch the video again of the US soldiers shooting innocent dogs in Iraq for sport with ammunition that you as a US taxpayer paid for? Well, I am assuming you are a US taxpayer.

Or, can we be mature and realize that this has nothing to do with nationality, and all to do with abuse of animals, which happens by people of all nationalities?

I await your reply.

Zimphire
Baninated
Mar 23, 2005, 10:07 PM

James try to stay on topic, I know it's hard for you. But come on.

James L
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2005, 12:13 AM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
James try to stay on topic, I know it's hard for you. But come on.

Zimph,

You know I respect your posts, but direct that back a couple of posts before mine, which was the post where dcolton said "...mean and nasty canadians who take out their feeling of insignificance on innocent birds" and also "...Never put anything past a Canadian", and I will agree with you.

A) That is where the derailing began.

B) I am not going to let ignorance like that go unanswered.

However, having said that, if dcolton grows up and stops throwing stones out the door of his glass house I promise to stay on topic.

Cheers,

James

Kilbey
Baninated
Mar 24, 2005, 12:43 AM

Originally posted by James L:
Zimph,

You know I respect your posts, but direct that back a couple of posts before mine, which was the post where dcolton said "...mean and nasty canadians who take out their feeling of insignificance on innocent birds" and also "...Never put anything past a Canadian", and I will agree with you.

A) That is where the derailing began.

B) I am not going to let ignorance like that go unanswered.

However, having said that, if dcolton grows up and stops throwing stones out the door of his glass house I promise to stay on topic.

Cheers,

James
You had no problem with the ignorance of SWF stating that Arafat was from Cuba.

But make a negative comment about a Canadian and woah... you're all uppity and empty threat filled.

James L
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2005, 11:22 AM

Originally posted by Kilbey:
You had no problem with the ignorance of SWF stating that Arafat was from Cuba.

But make a negative comment about a Canadian and woah... you're all uppity and empty threat filled.
Another off topic post.

dcolton
Banned
Mar 24, 2005, 11:27 AM

Canadian girls have more class than to date someone with an attitude like that.

I have much higher standards.

dcolton, I will wait for you to show me evidence that the person slaughtering the innocent birds is Canadian. For all we know it is a bitter American living in Canada.
Ever since when has canada been worried about evidence? I don;t know how many times a Canadian has blamed the US of some atrocity without a shred of evidence.

Meanwhile, shall we watch the video again of the US soldiers shooting innocent dogs in Iraq for sport with ammunition that you as a US taxpayer paid for? Well, I am assuming you are a US taxpayer.
Hmmm, I have never seen the video. Nonetheless, if the soldiers were guilty of a crime, they will be brought to justice...meanwhile, insignificant Canadians are sacrificing innocent birds because they are a symbol of power...the US. How shameful!

Or, can we be mature and realize that this has nothing to do with nationality, and all to do with abuse of animals, which happens by people of all nationalities?

I await your reply.
This has everything to do with nationality. I am so sick of arrogant Canadians trying to force their values of insignificance on Americans while they leech off of our tax dollars, harbor criminals and verbally insult american citizens. I am sick of canadian politicians stomping on Bush dolls and demonizing an effort to liberate opressed people. It is about nationality. Canadians have looked the gift horse in the mouth for too long now. It is time for Canada to put up or shut up...(regretfully, they will do neither - and we all know that. Hell, they don't even have the balls to declare independence...they would much rather have loonies with pictures of the queen).

SimpleLife
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2005, 01:35 PM

Originally posted by dcolton:
I have much higher standards.

ROFL!

Kilbey
Baninated
Mar 24, 2005, 01:41 PM

Another off topic post.
And yet another!

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Mar 24, 2005, 04:06 PM

L is for loser.

dcolton
Banned
Mar 24, 2005, 04:22 PM

Originally posted by budster101:
L is for loser.
L is for Louisville...Go CARDS. (they will rock Washington tonight!)
Damn...Louisville Cardinals....Loser Canadians
Oh well...Go KENTUCKY!

Off topic, I know, but there is only so much you can say about Canada, eh!

I am back.

SimpleLife
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2005, 04:40 PM

Is this thread of any use at this point?

budster101
Baninated
Mar 24, 2005, 04:41 PM

Originally posted by SimpleLife:
Is this thread of any use at this point?
Use? Define Use.

SimpleLife
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2005, 04:46 PM

Use? Define Use.
Well, with all due respect, after exposing facts from a newspaper regarding a sad situation about British Columbia's wildlife, and getting some good ol' Canadian bashing, is there an update regarding the cause of death of these birds? Has a perpetrator been found yet, or should we wait for it and in the meantime do more infantile/primary schoolyard style debating?

budster101
Baninated
Mar 24, 2005, 04:56 PM

Well, with all due respect, after exposing facts from a newspaper regarding a sad situation about British Columbia's wildlife, and getting some good ol' Canadian bashing, is there an update regarding the cause of death of these birds? Has a perpetrator been found yet, or should we wait for it and in the meantime do more infantile/primary schoolyard style debating?
Well, I don't know, don't care either. Let's on with the Canadian bashing until someone ante's up with the reason or perpetrator(s).

SimpleLife
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2005, 05:04 PM

Well, I don't know, don't care either. Let's on with the Canadian bashing until someone ante's up with the reason or perpetrator(s).

That's right. Useless.

budster101
Baninated
Mar 24, 2005, 05:27 PM

That's right. Useless.

If you think so, then why are you here posting? Hit the road, and go start a, "Kill Terri" thread or something. Nobody keeping you here.

SimpleLife
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2005, 05:36 PM

If you think so, then why are you here posting? Hit the road, and go start a, "Kill Terri" thread or something. Nobody keeping you here.
Noooo!

I want to respond to Canadian bashing! I wouldn't want to miss this!

dcolton
Banned
Mar 24, 2005, 05:42 PM

Do you really think the Canadians are looking for the culprit. They are too busy stomping on Bush Dolls, burning American Flags and harboring coward war criminals.

SimpleLife
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2005, 05:50 PM

Do you really think the Canadians are looking for the culprit. They are too busy stomping on Bush Dolls, burning American Flags and harboring coward war criminals.
You are right. Our agenda amounts to facilitate terrorism against the U.S., increase American Hatin' from ALL the other countries of the world, sitting our lazy asses in the snow waiting to be rescued, sleep under the umbrella of an anti-missile shield, slow and if possible, stop U.S. economy by being difficult in any economic/trade negotiations, etc.

Canadians are Commie-Palestinians-Anti-Jewish-Muslim-extremists-liberal-treehugger-scared-shitless-peacemongers.

Ah! I forgot:

We also do in Symbolic Icon U.S. desacralization of any kind.

P.S.: I suspect Canadians to be related to the snake of Eden, which lead Adam and Eve out.

tsk tsk tsk...

dcolton
Banned
Mar 24, 2005, 05:54 PM

You are right. Our agenda amounts to facilitate terrorism against the U.S., increase American Hatin' from ALL the other countries of the world, sitting our lazy asses in the snow waiting to be rescued, sleep under the umbrella of an anti-missile shield, slow and if possible, stop U.S. economy by being difficult in any economic/trade negotiations, etc.

Canadians are Commie-Palestinians-Anti-Jewish-Muslim-extremists-liberal-treehugger-scared-shitless-peacemongers.

Ah! I forgot:

We also do in Symbolic Icon U.S. desacralization of any kind.

P.S.: I suspect Canadians to be related to the snake of Eden, which lead Adam and Eve out.
I couldn't have said it better myself! Nice to finally meet a canadian with a little self realization.

SimpleLife
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2005, 06:02 PM

I couldn't have said it better myself! Nice to finally meet a canadian with a little self realization.
I am glad I made you happy dcolton. Us Canadians are aiming to please people like you.

Those bald eagles, how do you want them cooked?

btw, I suggest a red French wine to stirr the caracter of that meal...

And some Freedom fries!

budster101
Baninated
Mar 24, 2005, 06:04 PM

I am glad I made you happy dcolton. Us Canadians are aiming to please people like you.

Those bald eagles, how do you want them cooked?

btw, I suggest a red French wine to stirr the caracter of that meal...

And some Freedom fries!
I'd like a kind of GUMBO thing going on... toss in some Carabou (sp), Deer, Moose, Carrots, Potatos, Celerly, Hot Sauce..etc... make it a Canadian Mulligan's Stew.

SimpleLife
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2005, 06:08 PM

I'd like a kind of GUMBO thing going on... toss in some Carabou (sp), Deer, Moose, Carrots, Potatos, Celerly, Hot Sauce..etc... make it a Canadian Mulligan's Stew.
Actually, that is qute delicious, especially if marinated in a dark beer or red wine!

budster101
Baninated
Mar 24, 2005, 06:21 PM

Now, I'm hungry.

DBursey
Professional Poster
Mar 24, 2005, 06:45 PM

Hey dcolton!

I'm aware of the Bush dollie incident, but the only known war criminal to reside in Canada was recently deported to Germany after exhausting his final appeal. I've never heard of any flag-burning incidents.

I'd venture to opine that most Canadians have a positive view of Americans. Your government, notsomuch. Your commitment to continental free trade ... ugh. Punitive tariffs which ignore WTO rulings anyone?

Anyone?

Back on topic: The eagles are being killed to feed a China-fuelled black market for 'medicinal' usage of animal carcasses. Considerable illegalities aside, there presently stands a $10,000 reward for info leading to the culprits' apprehension.

I'll reiterate that the vast majority of Canadians don't regard bald eagles as being symbolic of the USA.

So quit your whining and go easy on the beavers, okay?

SimpleLife
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2005, 07:09 PM

Darn right!

And try those

In winter, go skating on the longest outdoor skating rink in the world, the Rideau canal. Skates can be rented, and refreshments purchased, from vendors right on the ice. This is also a great place to enjoy a beaver tail which is a local specialty.

jbartone
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 24, 2005, 09:20 PM

How about some baby seals?

budster101
Baninated
Mar 24, 2005, 09:24 PM

Originally posted by jbartone:
How about some baby seals?
I've never tried seal meat. Sure.

Article referenced / Boycott Canadian Seafood?

I rarely eat seafood out, as it tends to be too expensive, and I have limited funds.

Forum Links
Forum Rules