Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Disrespect for the dead?

Disrespect for the dead?
Macrobat
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2006, 11:40 AM

Or "karmic justice?"

http://suntimes.com/output/telander/cst-spt-rick06.html

Here we have a self-important sounding "journalist," who - by his own admission - is scared sh!tless of "nature," feeling free to perform this hatchet-job on a man (of who's television show I was not a particular fan) that at least lived his passion, hurt no animals, and did much to preserve species that are much-unloved because of their predatory nature.
"That Others May Live"
On the ISG: "The nation's capital hasn't seen such concentrated wisdom in one place since Paris Hilton dined alone at the Hooters on Connecticut Avenue." - John Podhoretz

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2006, 11:58 AM

I disagree with the author. In order to get your message across on commercial media your show has to be entertaining. Kids aren't going to watch some scientist giving a lecture on PBS. Steve Irwin was definately a risk taker and people who never take risks like to use opportunities like this to justify their life.

Kevin
Baninated
Sep 18, 2006, 07:16 AM

Er yeah. I learned a lot about the way animals worked by watching that.

Someone was looking for web hits.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Sep 18, 2006, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by Zeeb
I disagree with the author. In order to get your message across on commercial media your show has to be entertaining. Kids aren't going to watch some scientist giving a lecture on PBS.
Frankly, though, that's a rather damning indictment of society, if we have truly come to such a state that only "entertainment" gets the masses interested anymore. Bread and circuses, much?
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2006, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by Millennium
Frankly, though, that's a rather damning indictment of society, if we have truly come to such a state that only "entertainment" gets the masses interested anymore. Bread and circuses, much?
Well, you can mourn that society isn't what it should be or you can acknowledge what works now and move on. At least his show did have some content to it which was informative unlike "Growing up Gotti" which kinda makes me ill.

Don't forget, Steve Irwin was on TV. If kids go to a decent public or private school, then they can learn more detailed and comprehensive information about animals there. At least programs like his can get kids interested which could motivate them to get more information from better sources.

jbartone
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 22, 2006, 08:11 PM

"Besides putting himself recklessly in the path of creatures' natural instincts, hyperventilating, ''Crikey!'' every so often, and mesmerizing awe-stricken kids crouched in front of TV sets -- what exactly did Irwin, lauded as a conservationist, do?"

What a fool. I had to fire him off an email after reading that bit. The guy obviously has no clue. That was over ten days ago, and he hasn't replied.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 22, 2006, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by Millennium
"Anymore" indicates a change from a previous state. So I'm going to have to say no.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

villalobos
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2006, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by Macrobat
Or "karmic justice?"

Irwin's nature act, sadly, was a crock

Here we have a self-important sounding "journalist," who - by his own admission - is scared sh!tless of "nature," feeling free to perform this hatchet-job on a man (of who's television show I was not a particular fan) that at least lived his passion, hurt no animals, and did much to preserve species that are much-unloved because of their predatory nature.
I sorta agree with the writer. I never cared too much for this guy's show, that was too much like a stunt-filled entertainment show with animals in the background. As somebody else mentionned, it seems that all shows have to be 'entertaining' or 'exciting' these days, with little romm for substance.
He certainly was doing what he loved though, however good or educational that was.

PS : why is that in the pol/war lounge anyways?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 23, 2006, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by villalobos
I sorta agree with the writer. I never cared too much for this guy's show, that was too much like a stunt-filled entertainment show with animals in the background.
Are you kidding? Half the show was just him talking about how awesome he thinks whatever animal he's looking at is. Whether you think he took too many risks, I don't see how you can say it wasn't about animals.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Forum Links
Forum Rules