Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Minecraft

Minecraft (Page 49)
sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 14, 2012, 05:07 PM

Soooo, decided to mosey around and see the new developments....guess I shouldn't have updated my client? Can't log into the server.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Mar 14, 2012, 06:09 PM

Sorry, I think I have a way to update the map and preserve the biomes but I have to decompile the 1.1 code and update some guys program with it. Decompiling obfuscated java code is something I haven't done.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 14, 2012, 06:35 PM

Oh it's no problem, I've been absent for quite some time, just making sure it was that and not something else.

So I guess I'll see you guys in a bit!

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 14, 2012, 07:27 PM

Yeah, I updated too, but I'm busy enough with life (and a bit o' Skyrim) that I can afford to be patient. Plus, it'll make the changes more dramatic.

I'm wanting to check out the ship.

andi*pandi
Mar 16, 2012, 08:23 AM

Endermen. Please stay still so I can kill you. They keep showing up in my house and then teleporting off when I aggro them. :/

Also, I tried finding a stronghold in creative to get the hang of it so I don't waste ender eyes... Do ender eyes not work in creative? It seemed to always go in the direction I was facing, except when it turned me around 180, and it never went toward the ground. I was zigzagging back and forth over the same spot, but when I dug down nada.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Mar 16, 2012, 08:31 AM

Did you turn off structures? As for endermen attack low. They hop away and then try to walk back. This doesn't work well in buildings.

BTW 141k rails on the map.

andi*pandi
Mar 16, 2012, 10:36 AM

I found a mineshaft, so I believe structures were on.

S'alotta rail. Next step, make a branch from my green line over to dakar's line.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Mar 16, 2012, 11:03 AM

Most of that is probably in abandoned mine-shafts. If I gave a count of booster rails we could estimate how much we've put down.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Mar 16, 2012, 11:22 AM

I'd be curious as to the booster rail/ powered rail count. Considering I've found about 6 abandoned mine shafts so far, one is fairly epic in size, the booster rail would be an interesting stat.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Mar 17, 2012, 08:27 PM

Okay so far it looks like the Biomes are okay in 1.2.3 Yeah!

andi*pandi
Mar 17, 2012, 08:37 PM

Woohoo! Does this mean the unexplored parts of the map will have all the jungles etc? Hmm...

Before the update I spent the afternoon in the nether taunting ghasts. It was kind of fun. And explodey.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Mar 17, 2012, 08:59 PM

I had to walk back from the spawn nether gate to the village gate after I dismantled it.

andi*pandi
Mar 19, 2012, 12:53 PM

You dismantled it? aw. Well at least there is another way...

I've been exploring. I miss home and all my stuffs.

Day 1: I'm going exploring in the uncharted wilds! Wait, forgot a fishing pole. Got it. Now I'm off!
Day 2: Met some wolves where swamp met with desert and a small square of forest. Did not bring bones with me. Circling home!
Day 3: Detoured to view Cyclopses domain. Nifty!
Day 4: Home again to stock up.
Day 5: Ah, the fresh air of the wilderness! I'll just build a little house here... <explodes>
Day 6: trekked from cyclopses and got all my stuff. Moving on I find and tame those wolves. Yay!
Day 7: Reached a large ocean. My wolves do not, apparently, swim. I'll see you later wolves!
Day 8: Snowy hills, very nice. Built a small castle on a hill. Explored a little, found a ravine, and some abandoned mines. Cool! Exploded a few more times, but had a bed with me so all is good.
Day 9: Continued NE past the snow to a large forest area. Hmm, there are lights here. Someone has been here before! Found another wolf. He is a good wolf. He is keeping me company in this small hovel I quickly built.

TLDR; No jungle yet. I lost my fishing pole. Send cookies.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2012, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
You dismantled it? aw. Well at least there is another way...
I need to break out my calculus and calculate the intersections of several circles to figure out were the center gate will / can go. Then two gates later the spawn will be a nether trip away.

andi*pandi
Mar 19, 2012, 11:43 PM

Day 10: Eureka!

Day 11: I am out of arrows, but the wolves are helping out. Spiders don't seem to spawn around here too much and I need more string to fish!

Day 12: Luckily this little island of jungle exists at the juncture of all other biomes. See here desert, snowy forest, and jungle coincide... Fish acquired. Tomorrow, KITTEHS.

Also, something is off with the new "intelligent" ai. Mobs just don't scurry off to a dark place to hide, they seem to de-spawn and disappear. (Except creepers.) Made finding neutral day spiders impossible, and no arrows laying around. I'd watch just as dawn approached... poof.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 20, 2012, 12:38 PM

Saw this today on the farm I'm working at, instantly thought of Minecraft.

If it's not to much to ask, I'd also like a couple saplings, I can pay handsomely for them if needed.

andi*pandi
Mar 20, 2012, 01:20 PM

Sure! I'm trying not to cut down too much since this is such a small pocket jungle, but I'll plant/harvest in the nearby fields.

It is really hard to walk through the undergrowth, and there are also a few glitchy areas where it looks clear but you can't go.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Mar 20, 2012, 02:17 PM

We only really need 1 sapling to be brought back. Then we can farm it and distribute them.

The mapping software I was using probably won't get updated so i'll need to switch to another.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 20, 2012, 03:21 PM

Good point, Blaze.

Think I found something to do with a rather large empty patch in my front courtyard.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 20, 2012, 09:59 PM

Minecraft was locking up my machine for about 20-30 seconds at a time tonight like clockwork. Froze the computer hard twice.

Never had this happen before.

Edit: Console reads two disk0s2 I/O Errors, googling that led to a lot of failed HDD stories. Going to back up just in case.
( Last edited by sek929; Mar 20, 2012 at 10:19 PM. )

cycl0pse
Senior User
Mar 21, 2012, 12:23 PM

Well, got my first enchanted bow from a Skeleton Drop! Power I

(Turns out Minecraft is a decent game to play when suffering a late-night migraine attack. Dim the monitor and wait for the medicine to work.)

andi*pandi
Mar 21, 2012, 12:38 PM

nice!

Minecraft didn't work for insomnia. I just kept making tired mistakes and oh yes, exploding.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Mar 21, 2012, 12:56 PM

For that and cool down, I just go dig in the mine. Only requires enough thought to avoid walking into lava.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 21, 2012, 01:08 PM

Apparently, after some googlin' I discovered that Chrome for Mac has a nasty habit of corrupting its user date file and crashing the entire system...which I think is ludicrous. I just installed it two days ago, but if a friggin browser can crash my computer then it's to the trash.

I mean really, my imac has never crashed since I bought it and a stupid browser does it 3 times in one night? How silly is that?

cycl0pse
Senior User
Mar 21, 2012, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Apparently, after some googlin' I discovered that Chrome for Mac has a nasty habit of corrupting its user date file and crashing the entire system...which I think is ludicrous. I just installed it two days ago, but if a friggin browser can crash my computer then it's to the trash.
While the interface is nice, I just don't care for Chrome. It seems to cause more problems that it solves across multiple platform types (I've tried it under Linux and windows and it causes... issues. yes, issues is the right word.) Sorry to hear the Mac version has similar tendencies.

In many ways, Google took a page from the MS playbook. If you 'drink the kool-aid' and do everything MS, it works fine. Integrate it into a mixed environment and you have to watch for issues. Google products are similar (and this is from a person who practically worships the code that Sketch-Up was developed on). If you do everything 'Google' you're fine. Integrate it and you have to tread carefully.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Mar 21, 2012, 08:37 PM

So I doubled the size of the village near the barn.

They like to hide in the barn too, but the zombies get right in thanks to the pressure plates.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 22, 2012, 12:42 PM

So, this is both good and bad.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Mar 22, 2012, 01:44 PM

Only new blocks will change. It would be madness otherwise. Does it apply to half and stair blocks as well?

Also the other 3 tree types are annoying to farm. They require allot more space.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 22, 2012, 01:47 PM

Nope, they seem to have overlooked those.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Mar 22, 2012, 03:48 PM

Well heck, this will make the boat look prettier... if I hadn't already done the whole darn hull... (grrr)

OTOH, I may get some other saplings and grow a variety for future enhancements. I still have to fit-out the interior.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 22, 2012, 05:03 PM

Found a creeper outside my house. Freaked me out.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 22, 2012, 06:39 PM

Hehe, that's awesome.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 22, 2012, 07:02 PM

Aaaaarg! I updated again without thinking.

God I'm the worst.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Mar 22, 2012, 07:18 PM

TimeMachine.
I'm as usual gonna give it at least 24 hours to shake out any stupidity, 1.2 => 1.2.3 being another good example. The bukit guys + jeb will probably shake more of that out.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 22, 2012, 07:24 PM

I really wish they made rolling back to a previous release a little earlier.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Mar 22, 2012, 07:44 PM

I think it should give you the option of downloading the one from the server your connecting too.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 22, 2012, 10:43 PM

Explored west of my far desert safehouse to fill in the map some more.

Came upon an odd biome change.

Walked a little further, and BAM!

Made a small safehouse on the ice, this is the view from the tree in the previous picture.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Mar 23, 2012, 09:20 AM

Andi

Just saw this, almost makes me ashamed of my togglable clocks. But I didn't want to use pistons.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Mar 24, 2012, 06:37 PM

I'm trying to make a nether gate shortcut from the spawn using the gates tendency to connect to the closest gate to jump 1k at a time. My issue is Dakar's gate in the nether. It's so far east that it limits how long I can make the second hop. Can I move the nether side of the portal closer to Sek's nether portal? It's only ~30 blocks in the nether but it will make path from the spawn ~250 shorter.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Mar 28, 2012, 12:48 PM

Any luck with the gates?

Also, anyone got a good suggestion on what to do with a zombie spawner? My fall trap for the skeleton spawner works good, but I'm looking for other ideas. I know the lava knife works, but what else have folks tried?

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Mar 28, 2012, 02:57 PM

I failed to account for the Z axis on my last attempt. So I need rebuild the surface gate and move the nether gate. It will only get you to the shore of the ocean my dome is in. I'm considering covering the difference in the nether instead.

Do you want XP and rare items? The most compact way for that is to use a piston to push a block into their heads so they suffocate down to 1 heart. The only fiddly bit is the right number of repeaters in the mono stable circuit. If you just want zombie flesh then a lava blade will work.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Mar 28, 2012, 03:56 PM

If my vote counts, cover distance in nether.

The block/suffocate sounds like the way to go. Don't think that will work with skeletons, they jump to much.
Do I still need a 'fall pit' to line them up?

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Mar 28, 2012, 04:25 PM

Push them laterally 16 blocks into a 2 deep hole (block 17) so they can't jump out. Once the block smacks them in the head they stop jumping around. Only mobs this won't work on are small slimes and endermen, being 1 and 3 tall respectively. Though if you find an enderman spawner don't tell anyone or the battles will be epic.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Mar 28, 2012, 06:45 PM

I don't expect any epic fights. Enderman spawners don't exist natively, do they? (as in, they can only be edited in?)

cycl0pse
Senior User
Apr 4, 2012, 04:24 PM

I see another new update hit. I assume the 'don't update for a few days' rule will continue to apply?

andi*pandi
Apr 4, 2012, 04:38 PM

That was my plan.

Any luck getting the map updated, or finding a new map thing? Curious to see where the heck I am.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Apr 4, 2012, 04:53 PM

Double check the twitter has been telling me that it's a client only update.

[edit] or maybe not.

This one I love: "Made cats less eager to sit on things and less patient."

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2012, 09:55 PM

Well guys I updated the server to 1.2.5
I also got the one way shortcut gate from the spawn towards village working. During my many trips through the nether I came across a few ghasts of interest.

This one I almost walked into. Thats the "cave" he was in.

This one I spotted from farther away.

Thinking back I should have gotten sword kills on them.

andi*pandi
Apr 9, 2012, 11:06 AM

cats less patient likely means bugging you for food. It was nice spelunking with a cat though.

Tested this out yesterday: It was hard even a) when I let all the dispensers run out of fireballs, and b) when I actually saw what I was aiming at. Fun for a bit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqLX4EY4DN0

Also tried out Cake Defense just for the heck of it. I think it's a bit broken in the latest versions since it starts out difficult then nothing.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Apr 9, 2012, 01:14 PM

Are they smart enough not to jump into lava? I may have to find a few.

Forum Links
Forum Rules