Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Transformers: Revenge Of The Fallen

Transformers: Revenge Of The Fallen (Page 4)
jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 6, 2009, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I didn't expect anything but mindless entertainment. Considering its subject matter, a bunch of cool digital effects and tons of 'splosions would have fit the bill for me. But the film did go beyond that-for me-and was quite a bit more than just digital effects and explosions. Though I think that it could have been called "Tons of Explosions with some Other Stuff" and it would still have been as entertaining, it presented a story that was age-appropriate for the original audience for the toys, plus some cool and fun stuff for older kids and adults.

To put this in context, I saw Dark Knight in the same theater. When Transformers was over I felt like I'd had an enjoyable couple of hours. When Dark Knight was over, I took something like 15 minutes to stop gibbering about a variety of specific sequences and scenes, and I still think that DK is a monumental and bound to be legendary film. Transformers 2 was a fun movie.
There are plenty of action movies that are fun that don't require you to turn your brain to a turnip while watching. Heck, just this year you have Star Trek, Taken, and Watchmen. I see no need to make excuses for one movie when there are plenty of others that do the same genre better.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

harbinger75
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 6, 2009, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
There is no argument you can make that will convince me to excuse stupidity in ANY movie. I don't care what it's based on.
You sound WAY too much like a movie critic. I always disagree with them, and that will never change.

Definitely too much over-thinking going on about a MOVIE based on ACTION FIGURES. But then again, everybody is entitled to their opinions.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 9, 2009, 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by harbinger75 View Post
But then again, everybody is entitled to their opinions.
And you know what they say about opinions right?

They're a lot like a holes. Everyone has one and they usually stink!

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 9, 2009, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by harbinger75 View Post
Definitely too much over-thinking going on about a MOVIE based on ACTION FIGURES. But then again, everybody is entitled to their opinions.
Remember that movie about the toy cowboy and toy spaceman? Somehow, a good story and memorable dialogue made it into the film. Movies about toys don't have to be utterly retarded.

Salty
Professional Poster
Jul 9, 2009, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
Remember that movie about the toy cowboy and toy spaceman? Somehow, a good story and memorable dialogue made it into the film. Movies about toys don't have to be utterly retarded.
No, movies that have to be utterly retarded are made by Michael Bay.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 9, 2009, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
This is true. But strong characters and a well developed plot aren't absolutely essential when the selling point is toys with an existing back story and lots of explosions. There was only ONE explosion in Toy Story, remember? But it was not an "action movie," either.

Transformers and Transformers 2 have stories that are only intelligent enough to convince studio execs to fund them. That's all they need, since they're aimed at overgrown boys (like me) who found this kind of toy fascinating when they were little.

You'll notice that Shakespear, Chekov and other writers of classics never even mentioned giant robots from outerspace that transformed into cars and trucks...so I think we can expect to lower our expectations of how incredible the story has to be. I didn't find the story in Transformers 2 to be "utterly retarded." It was spare, it was silly, but it wasn't all that bad. And while I enjoyed it, I'm certainly not headed out to see it again, while I WILL see other films from this summer, like Star Trek, at least a few more times.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Salty
Professional Poster
Jul 9, 2009, 10:46 AM

I don't understand going and seeing a movie more than once... you already know what happens!

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 9, 2009, 10:47 AM

The story was full of contradictions and plot holes. How do you fail to see that?

Salty
Professional Poster
Jul 9, 2009, 10:48 AM

I think he stopped seeing anything after the robot testicles.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 9, 2009, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Salty View Post
I don't understand going and seeing a movie more than once... you already know what happens!
With a film like Star Trek, everything was happening so fast that I missed stuff. Since I've been watching Star Trek since the 60s, I don't want to let anything that might be interesting get by. I've also seen other films many times; I forget how many times I've seen 2001, or Rocky Horror...

Originally Posted by Dakar V View Post
The story was full of contradictions and plot holes. How do you fail to see that?
I saw plenty of holes, but not that many contradictions. I've read some things like "The 10 biggest holes in the Transformer 2 story," and frankly those articles seem to have been written by people who didn't actually stay in the theater for the whole movie-they missed crucial points that made some of their gripes either stupid or irrelevant. Sure, there were some odd bits, but it's an action movie; the explosions were all very important to the story!

Originally Posted by Salty View Post
I think he stopped seeing anything after the robot testicles.
That was probably the BIGGEST "WTF?" moment for me in the movie. I saw where those things came from, but they HAD to have been put in for the juvenile quality they gave that sequence. Sort of fitting with Dewey and Louie, but still...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 9, 2009, 12:59 PM

The entire movie was a plot hole.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 9, 2009, 01:13 PM

Shut your plot hole.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jul 9, 2009, 01:33 PM

I've never seen a movie with several "jump the shark" moments.
You might get your chance.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 27, 2009, 08:19 PM

It's on TV right now. In high def. I'm watching it.

It's even more terrible than I had imagined.

Haha... forget America's obsession with debt... it's people who like movies like this that will be the downfall of the Western world
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Forum Links
Forum Rules