Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Dropped my 15"... question about safeware insurance

Dropped my 15"... question about safeware insurance
wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 14, 2005, 07:24 PM

Alright, the good news is it still works perfectly fine internally. The bad news is it's dented fairly badly on the front right coner by where the optical drive slot is. The dent is slightly pushing the case apart where the palmrest section meets the case bottom. My question is, will safeware cover this? It's caused the bit of brush like liner around the optical drive opening to be pushed apart a few mm for the length of the drive, and I still haven't checked to see if the drive still works (will do when I get back to my place tonight).

I would call safeware myself but I don't have my account number with me right now so I need to go back to my house for that information, I possibly might have it at home also (not sure - but In the dorms for a few more weeks). I do have an existing safeware policy that covers my machine with zero deductable. I just want someone that's worked with safeware already and has made a claim to let me know how safeware/apple work together.

Many thanks
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

ericssonboi
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 14, 2005, 07:29 PM

Check the website... I'm sure it says something about what is covered and what is not.

wuzup101  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 14, 2005, 10:21 PM

Well dropping the book definitely is covered. My thing is, it seems like it might just be a cosmetic thing. Then again if I backed into a phone pole or something w/ my car I could/would claim that under my insurance if I had a $0 deductable... even though it was cosmetic. I think basically I just have to find my policy number and give them a call. Is it insurance fraud or anything Illegal if I simply wait for a short period before making the claim? I don't want to do anything illegal, but I don't know if I can be without my book right now...
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Mar 14, 2005, 10:44 PM

SafeWare covers all accidental damage. The only things they exclude are anything that would have been covered under the manufacturer's warranty, or an extended warranty, and stuff that's pure wear and tear (e.g. scuff marks).

SafeWare offers two options:

1) you pay for the repair and they reimburse you when you get it back (less paperwork, but you have to front the $) or
2) they pay Apple directly for the repair (takes more paperwork)

tooki

jbianchini
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 14, 2005, 10:47 PM

I had a small dent in the same corner, and the space bar was missing on my Powerbook. I sent it into Safeware, and they told me that they needed to replace the Logic Board, Outside case, keyboard, and LCD screen, so they totaled it. It took them 40+ days from the time I called for a box until I got my check...and it would have taken longer if I didn't call and ask to speak with a manager so they could hurry up and process my claim...though I did get a check it was a real hassle...and I was in the bulk of my classes when this happened.
-J. Bianchini

jbianchini
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 14, 2005, 10:48 PM

Oh yea, they didn't send my computer to Apple...they sent it to some comapny called Heartford Computer Group in Ohio...and they are charging me 40 bucks to get my hard drive back.
-J. Bianchini

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Mar 14, 2005, 11:17 PM

Weird. They let me just take my damaged PowerBook to the local Apple store. I paid up front and the refund check took less than two weeks to arrive.

tooki

wuzup101  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 14, 2005, 11:55 PM

Actually I did read about your bad experience with safeware. My main concern is if they covered stuff that was purely cosmetic. Now the machine works fine, I just checked out the drive and it seems to be working perfectly fine.

I know that safeware covers most stuff that the warranty doesn't and isn't "wear and tear". I was just wondering if any of you think this might be considered "wear and tear" as it's "just a dent" and doesn't physically stop me from using the machine.

In the end I know I'm just going to have to talk to safeware, I best get to take the machine directly to apple or to my campus store (which I trust). I'd rather not send it out to someone other than them. I wouldn't see why apple wouldn't be their top choice

ericssonboi
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 15, 2005, 12:38 AM

I guess you can have a new bottom case put in ... and just send them the receipt for the repair.

A quick question... i just went to the Safeware website and made a quote.

I got back
Coverage amount:$5000.00
Policy Premium:$97.00

Now i just want to verify... If i go ahead with the quote..
I would have to pay $97.00 / per year ...
Correct?

Thanks
( Last edited by ericssonboi; Mar 15, 2005 at 12:44 AM. )

jbianchini
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 15, 2005, 01:08 AM

my machine worked fine too! There was no reason to replace the LCD screen! I have no idea why they did some of the things they did...but they went ahead anyways.
-J. Bianchini

wuzup101  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 15, 2005, 08:41 AM

Originally posted by ericssonboi:
I guess you can have a new bottom case put in ... and just send them the receipt for the repair.

A quick question... i just went to the Safeware website and made a quote.

I got back
Coverage amount:$5000.00
Policy Premium:$97.00

Now i just want to verify... If i go ahead with the quote..
I would have to pay $97.00 / per year ...
Correct?

Thanks
Yes it's a yearly premium. I'm guessing that's on a power mac for that much? I know I pay somewhere around $140/year for 0 deductable on my powerbook ($2500 ish coverage). I'm guessing desktops are a bit cheaper.

ericssonboi
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 15, 2005, 10:44 AM

Originally posted by wuzup101:
Yes it's a yearly premium. I'm guessing that's on a power mac for that much? I know I pay somewhere around $140/year for 0 deductable on my powerbook ($2500 ish coverage). I'm guessing desktops are a bit cheaper.
I put in $3000 coverage for my Powerbook.. and it automaticly gave me $5000 coverage - $97/per year. Maybe its cause i'm in Canada and it gives different quotes? On the website, it does say a deductable of $50 on the facts..

jdiddy
Forum Regular
Mar 15, 2005, 04:33 PM

This is interesting. I've never heard of laptop insurance before. I just purchased a 2nd hand Powerbook. What would be better to purchase. Safeware or normal Applecare???

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Mar 15, 2005, 05:52 PM

Unless the laptop you purchased is still under the 1st year warranty, it's not an option to get extended Applecare as far as I'm aware of.

Originally posted by jdiddy:
This is interesting. I've never heard of laptop insurance before. I just purchased a 2nd hand Powerbook. What would be better to purchase. Safeware or normal Applecare???
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

romeosc
Mac Elite
Mar 15, 2005, 05:58 PM

In my opinion, Safeware is a MUST! Applecare an option. If you lose damage or etc on Laptop your covered! Items AppleCare covers could be reported occuring due to dropping the laptop.

PS. I have taken 2 to Apple Store for repair, and 1 sent picked up by DHL.

jdiddy
Forum Regular
Mar 15, 2005, 06:04 PM

Originally posted by legacyb4:
Unless the laptop you purchased is still under the 1st year warranty, it's not an option to get extended Applecare as far as I'm aware of.
Yah I just trasfered the ownership into my name and was told I have till the end of July to purchase Applecare. I'm trying to decide which warranty would be better. This is my first Powerbook but not my first laptop. So I want to make sure I'm covered the best way possible. I'm leaning towards the Safeware insurance as they cover more possible problems then Applecare. I'll be plunking down about $300 either way I just need help making the right decsision.

****Oops sorry for the thread hijack****

romeosc
Mac Elite
Mar 15, 2005, 07:04 PM

Yah I just trasfered the ownership into my name and was told I have till the end of July to purchase Applecare. I'm trying to decide which warranty would be better. This is my first Powerbook but not my first laptop. So I want to make sure I'm covered the best way possible. I'm leaning towards the Safeware insurance as they cover more possible problems then Applecare. I'll be plunking down about $300 either way I just need help making the right decsision.

****Oops sorry for the thread hijack****
Depending on declared value of PB .... about $60/ M per year! Well worth it.No deductable and saves raising rates on Homeowners policy after claim.

jdiddy
Forum Regular
Mar 15, 2005, 07:25 PM

Originally posted by romeosc:
Depending on declared value of PB .... about $60/ M per year! Well worth it.No deductable and saves raising rates on Homeowners policy after claim.
$60 looks like a good deal. Do you see any benifit in getting both warranties?

ericssonboi
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 15, 2005, 07:32 PM

Remember that if you drop your Powerbook.. the techs at Apple can deny your AppleCare claim. If there is something not working because of the damage from the drop... your out the $300+ on Applecare.

Whereas safeware would cover it for accidental damage..

Factors to consider..

jdiddy
Forum Regular
Mar 15, 2005, 07:37 PM

Originally posted by ericssonboi:
Remember that if you drop your Powerbook.. the techs at Apple can deny your AppleCare claim. If there is something not working because of the damage from the drop... your out the $300+ on Applecare.

Whereas safeware would cover it for accidental damage..

Factors to consider..
But it does'nt look like Safeware covers things like bad logic boards or hard drives or am I mistaken? Decisions Decisions.

ericssonboi
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 15, 2005, 07:45 PM

But it does'nt look like Safeware covers things like bad logic boards or hard drives or am I mistaken? Decisions Decisions.
That is correct.

So

a) If you have a bad logic board or hard drive = AppleCare

b) If you dropped your Powerbook and damaged the logic board = Safeware (AppleCare would be voided - from stories i've read)

After a year.. if your logic board or hard drive doesn't die (or have any problems).. I would stick with safeware..

wuzup101  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 16, 2005, 12:15 AM

I'm not sure what I am going to do... I might just go with safeware and not applecare after my first year is up. I have already used my apple warranty once and they do great/fast work. However, I'm guessing that most of my problems after the first year would be related to me being stupid. Still, applecare is only $230 or something like that for students... so it might be better just to drop that for the piece of mind. I mean I can't exactly replace a logic board cost wise. I can easily pay for the apple care though.

In the end most problems definitely can be covered by safeware... and um accidentally dropping a cup of coffee on your machine. Not that I would want to do that...

Safeware definitely is a must if you used your lappy for anything other than just a desktop replacement. Even then I would still get it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules