Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Tethering options?

Tethering options?
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 20, 2010, 11:17 PM

Hello,

What phones on any carrier allow tethering that will work in OS X, and of these (if any), which do not cost additional money to use this feature? Just trying to figure out what some options are... It would be great peace of mind to be able to get online with my laptop from anywhere given my line of work.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 21, 2010, 12:26 AM

Tmo doesn't charge for tethering, it's easy to tether a BB to OS X over BT.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 1, 2010, 02:59 PM

Sorry for my late response here, mduell. If any of you have any other combinations, please share them! I haven't zone any real research on what is available in this area and how much a BB would cost me, but I suspect that TMobile is not available around here. I'm currently with Verizon, AT&T is available around here...

What is that status of iPhone tethering? Looks like an extra $20/month?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jul 1, 2010, 03:55 PM

AT&T is $45/mo for 2GB/mo with tethering, on top of your voice/messaging charges.

Where's here? Is that like a zip code?

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 1, 2010, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
AT&T is $45/mo for 2GB/mo with tethering, on top of your voice/messaging charges.

Where's here? Is that like a zip code?
Are you asking for my zip code in an attempt to help me? If so, I'll send it privately...

I'm always confused by the costs of the carriers themselves, the differences between the stock phones and what they will do and carrier modifications to them (such as those that Verizon does) and then bringing in the phones themselves and OS compatibility into the picture. It is often hard to put together the whole puzzle.

Are you saying that with *all* AT&T phones we'd pay $45/month for service + tethering? I know that I can go to the AT&T site to research these sorts of things, but I wish there was a way to find out which phones support tethering under OS X, and which phones support tethering under OS X with that carrier. Does AT&T modify their phones like Verizon does?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jul 1, 2010, 06:46 PM

Well I was going to check if Tmo was available.

AT&T offers 2GB with tethering for $45/mo regardless of your device. If your device doesn't support tethering I suppose that's a waste of money.

The big carriers in the US modify all their devices to varying degrees (from a few policies to full blown skinning and apps). I don't know of a listing of which devices/carriers support tethering; the price of tethering does not depend on the device at AT&T (at VZW it may be different for BBs vs other devices).

Forum Links
Forum Rules