Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > GMA 950 v. Nvidia GeForce 5200Go

GMA 950 v. Nvidia GeForce 5200Go
tricha6
Sep 2, 2006, 07:12 PM

Is there any objective way to measure the differences between GMA 950 and the Nvidia GeForce 5200Go (the video card in the 12 in Powerbook)?

TIA.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 2, 2006, 08:39 PM

With a benchmark?

They're about the same, varies by game/app; GMA950 is slightly ahead in 3Dmark.

tricha6  (op)
Sep 2, 2006, 08:57 PM

mduell,

Thanks, I know what benchmarks are, but a. I haven't seen any comparing the two directly, so if you know of one please let me know; I'm sure I'm missing one; and b. what to benchmark? pixel shading, or some other function? I don't really understand the depths of all that a video card does (i.e. supposedly the GMA 950 is very good for HD video, why? and is it better than the Nvidia?).

So I guess I'm looking for some site or answer that explains a little of this stuff. Haven't found one via Google, and thought this forum might be a good resource.

joe
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2006, 09:29 PM

While it isn't a direct comparison, Barefeats posted benchmarks of the revC 12" PB (1.33GHz) with Go5200 in this link (game benches only):
Rev B Aluminum PowerBooks versus Power Macs

And here Barefeats posted a comparison of MacBook vs MacBook Pro:
MacBook 13" versus MacBook Pro 15/17

If you're a 3D or action gamer, the "slower" 12" PB outperforms the MacBook - sometimes by an embarrassing margin. However, this didn't stop me from buying the 2GHz BlackBook that I'm typing on now I have a G5 Tower here that I use for games. My MacBook is just way more convenient to carry around.

I'm hoping that Apple at some point releases a 13" MacBook "Pro" model with faster graphics. Similar to the 12" iBook vs 12" PowerBook graphics chips. While it's not a deal breaker for me, I'm disappointed that my 13" MacBook has such an underpowered graphics chip.

Forum Links
Forum Rules