Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Just figured out how to subsidize some of the iPhone cost - wish I thought it sooner

Just figured out how to subsidize some of the iPhone cost - wish I thought it sooner
chipchen
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2007, 06:36 PM

So... it just came to me.... Since AT&T can't subsidize the cost of the iPhone at all, the $500 or $600 + tax is a bit high for most of us. (even if we already paid it)

Anyway, I was thinking... AT&T also ALLOWS for you to get an iPhone while having a current AT&T account.

SO, for people who are currently eligible for upgrade through AT&T or isn't an AT&T customer... I was thinking... you can sign up with AT&T, get a brand new phone (something worth while that you can get for free or little cost)... and then when you buy the iPhone, you are basically just renewing that 2 year commitment...

For instance... I was with Verizon... say I switched to AT&T today and got a Blackberry Pearl for free (amazon.com). I get my blackberry, and before I even use it (I just activate it)... I buy an iPhone. Through iTunes I just say I'm a current AT&T customer. I sell the Blackberry on ebay for like... $200+.

Before anyone says anything about legality... I don't think there's anything wrong with it. You're buying a subsidized phone in exchange for a contract. but that contract doesn' state you can't buy a newer phone at any point... and the iPhone is not subsidized. They just require you to renew your 2 year commitment, which you already made. You'll probably have to make it just a few days extra beyond the original 2 years.

DANG, too bad I didn't think of this BEFORE I bought the iPhone.

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2007, 06:40 PM

I know a lot of people that did just this on the 29th!! AT&T didn't blink an eye at it. As long as their books show a profit they could care less.
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 2, 2007, 07:05 PM

I have trouble believing that this would actually work. Look at the terms on Amazon's site, for example:

Conditional $250 Equipment Discount Included: Your price paid includes an equipment discount of $250 that has been provided to you in exchange for either activating a new, non-substitute line of service or renewing an existing line of service with AT&T and your agreement that for the 181-day period following such activation or renewal you will: (1) pay your balance due to AT&T each month and otherwise maintain your account in good standing; (2) not disconnect this AT&T line of service; (3) not transfer this equipment to another AT&T line of service; (4) not change your AT&T service rate plan to a lower monthly service rate--this includes canceling or removing required PDA, BlackBerry, or smartphone features after your product has shipped; (5) not use this line of service to replace an existing account with AT&T. If these conditions are not met, you hereby authorize Amazon.com to charge your credit card $250 as reimbursement of this equipment discount without need for further approval.
So it sounds like you can't use the device on another AT&T line (which would be necessary if you sold it), or remove the required data plan (which, by the way, is different for an iPhone).

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 2, 2007, 07:28 PM

The only "problem" is that you would need to unlock the othe rphone. Not a big problem though.

Besides that, I wouldn't have a problem with that. It's a shame that Apple locked in AT&T so hard that they are not allowed to subsidize the iPhones.

-t

GSixZero
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2007, 07:29 PM

ImpulseResponse

chipchen  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2007, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by icruise View Post
I have trouble believing that this would actually work. Look at the terms on Amazon's site, for example:

So it sounds like you can't use the device on another AT&T line (which would be necessary if you sold it), or remove the required data plan (which, by the way, is different for an iPhone).
Hmm... so maybe not a PDA phone then.. just a MOTO KRZR or something... and unlock and sell it to someone on T-Mobile.

tonyb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 9, 2007, 09:02 AM

If I set up a new account/line with a Blackjack (no data plan), then immediately upgrade to iphone, could I:

1. Keep the Blackjack as a backup (especially for skiing, since I have at least one good wipeout every trip and can't fathom carrying a $600 device in a pocket that would get broken or damaged from moisture). In particular I would at least want to use the MP3 player/stereo bluetooth feature of the BJ, and preferably the phone part. That is, would the SIM from the iphone work in the Blackjack to allow calls etc. for this backup purpose, then put it back in the iphone after skiing? I am new to using SIM cards so sorry if this is an obvious answer. Also, would I be able to use the "iphone-plan" data services on the Blackjack as well to get my email while skiing (that would be my optimal situation!).

Or -

2. Is there a viable market for the Blackjack such as on ebay? Does it get sold with its original SIM card which I assume is no good to me anyway?

I am not sure which route I would go - probably based on how useful the Blackjack is with the iphone SIM card for skiing.

In any event I'll pick up the free Blackjack from Walmart to use at least as a paperweight!

BTW I am not locked into a Blackjack so if my scenario works better with a RAZR or Sync or whatever let me know as well.

Thanks!

Forum Links
Forum Rules