Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Black Virtual Keyboard in iOS 8

Black Virtual Keyboard in iOS 8
ghporter
Administrator
Nov 15, 2014, 01:31 PM

Not the issue you think...

Last evening, I went from surfing on my iPad 2 (landscape mode) using my Bluetooth keyboard to a portrait mode game that does not use keyboard input. I got a black keyboard that was stuck to the Home button end of the display. It would not change when I changed the orientation of the iPad - though the rest of the display changed correctly - and the little "keyboard" key that's supposed to hide the keyboard clicked but did nothing. Worrisome, it had a text window at the top of the keyboard that showed my passcode. I think this was some sort of debugging tool that somehow was turned on (I didn't change anything at all, at least that I knew I was doing it), but I couldn't turn it off. I wound up restarting the iPad, and the annoying black keyboard went away.

Can anyone shed some light on this? Is it a debug/maintenance tool? How do I turn it on on purpose, and HOW DO I TURN IT OFF once it's on? Last weekend I participated in a seminar about using iPads in rehabilitation settings, and we explored all sorts of accessibility options, some of which were annoyingly hard to turn off once you turned them on. This was NOT anything I did then, and it only showed up late Friday evening, though I had used the iPad all week without any issues, including the black keyboard. I'm stumped and I'd really like to know what happened.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

ghporter  (op)
Administrator
Nov 16, 2014, 10:50 PM

Had it happen again yesterday afternoon, but later I made sure I had the iPad in portrait orientation before I entered my passcode to unlock it, and haven't had it show up again.

Again, the things I am bothered by this are that a) I couldn't get rid of it and b) it had my passcode showing.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules