Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Saving webpage issue (firefox)

Saving webpage issue (firefox)
kevs
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2018, 02:15 PM

I often save webpages,
I'm on Mac do save as complete web page.

yet even today openin a saved webpage; I notice I see delay.. says waiting, transferring data... and wait today minute. What waiting for? I thought whole point to save to hardrive a web page, so you just own it. Is it waiting for some other website to ok the page?

andi*pandi
Feb 13, 2018, 02:36 PM

The webpage may have had a lot of scripts, which still need to connect somewhere to work.

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2018, 02:59 PM

A, Andi, I thought that saved web pages are totally self contained. While point. That not hostage to an external website going out of business or charging.

andi*pandi
Feb 13, 2018, 03:02 PM

It all depends on how they are coded. Many websites today rely on scripts/styles that are on other sites. JQuery, google fonts, html5shiv, etc.

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2018, 06:33 PM

But are these scripts trying to connect to a 3rd party? Does not make sense... if so.

andi*pandi
Feb 13, 2018, 10:36 PM

Yes. As I've said. There are lots of complicated things going on under the hood, and unless you understand code, you don't need to make sense of it. It's unusual to save web pages like that anyhow.

There's gotta be a simpler way for you to save your content. Maybe just copying the text you need or using a service like pocket.

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2018, 11:28 PM

No web page saving is best, as you see it most accurate to how it was. Does pocket do that?

The site can later charge money, move the page. Better way? PDFs don't look as good either.

Forum Links
Forum Rules